ELP laser turntable !!

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have. It was very impressive. I have a CD (!) comprising recordings made from one. You might need a record cleaning machine to use alongside it but I guess if you are serious about vinyl you'd have that anyway.

G

I remember reading the review of this, stating your vinyl has to be seriously clean to be worth using in it. No good with those old charity shop finds.

tim_bissell

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 20, 2009
Cambs.
AKA
Tim Bissell
Um, so its a CD player that reads vinyl instead of CDs? Meh.
I don't think so - I think the electronics are all analogue (even the tracking of the groove) and the signal is never digitised. It will suffer its own forms of distortion I guess - not perfect sound, but no wear on the vinyl at least!

-- Tim

al2002

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes. many years ago at a Hi-Fi show in New York City. Organised by Stereophile magazine, IIRC.

Very sensitive to dust but it played difficult LPs with a clarity and lack of colouration that was truly impressive. It is possible to adjust the laser to read the groove at different depths, very useful to get best playback from worn LPs.

It is the only really expensive audio component, other than speakers, that I would consider buying. In fact, it would be my first choice as a record deck.

Anyone ever heard one?

al2002

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
P.S:- I do not know the position in Europe, but here in the US service is non-existent. The owner needs to send the deck to Japan for repairs/service at his/her own expense.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nope, not me either. I wouldn't buy this if it was the last TT on earth. Why all the fuss, if it was a good idea there would have been more than one make/model and they would still be in production now. A crazy idea that doesn't work well.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, back in the day I think this was stretching commercially available technology - I recall all sorts of prolonged delays prior to its initial release.

... and didn't they come bundled with a RCM? :dunno:

I've not seen nor heard one, but as reported here and in the mags at the time, it is said to be a pretty decent sounding device.

I vaguely recall a Stereophile review which reckoned the sq was pretty good, but not up with the best.

I bet it could be done better & cheaper now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles