Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2009
nottingham, ,
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am building some new bass cabinets and was wondering if felt underlay is any good for lining cabinet walls with - i was looking at the 11mm thick wool type which works out about £2.00 a sq mtr. Cheaper that "boutique" special speaker felt - any differences ? Any alternative suggestions. Will still be using BAF for stuffing

speedysteve

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am building some new bass cabinets and was wondering if felt underlay is any good for lining cabinet walls with - i was looking at the 11mm thick wool type which works out about £2.00 a sq mtr. Cheaper that "boutique" special speaker felt - any differences ? Any alternative suggestions. Will still be using BAF for stuffing
I've always used 5/8" upholstery felt (from eBay supplier) in my Tannoy GRF and horn back box builds. Spray contact adhesive to secure.

vinylnvalves

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2009
nottingham, ,
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for that Steve

I have some of that already in the loft - may save me a few pence on the test boxes. May still get the underlay felt as its firmer and probably better for LF.

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is not great over a long term and not only does it settle but it breaks up and all falls to the bottom of the cabinet. Mice also like to use as a nesting place so if you have a bass port they also have a front door.

I built some speakers around 15 years ago using this stuff and found a family of dead mice and all the felt at the bottom of cabinet when I removed the drive units.

That may not be an issue for you if they are only test boxes.

vinylnvalves

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2009
nottingham, ,
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would not think that the felt underlay would settle -its the same as the stuff in car door panels etc. I have a few offcuts rolled up in the corner of the workshop which haven't sagged yet ( completely knacked as engrained with dust through). Maybe my next question should be is there a cheaper alternative to Baileys Long Wool - which would be better for the MLTL's than the BAF i am proposing to use.

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used felt underlay, I didn't expect it to do this and it was one of the benefits over using long-haired sheeps wool that I hoped for (which is known to settle and require a fair bit of encouragement to stay where you put it.

The main body of the material was still there but the first 5mm of so of the surface had come off and dropped to the floor. A couple of the sections had seperated from the glued side and just fallen off leaving a layer of fluffy stuff on the cabinet. For long term I woudl seriously consider using some type of muslin facing to retain it in place along with some stick pins if I were to do it again.

It is very cost effective and re-applying the stuff after 10 years is no major issue if you can get to it. I would use it again but just retain it and stick it better.

MLTL - is that a funky transmisison line? If so for good damping you need to locate the absorption ideally where the particle velocity is highest - as such it has more effect located in the centre of the line than the edges and the only damping material I know that you can tease out to do this properly is the long haired wool.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I built some speakers around 15 years ago using this stuff and found a family of dead mice and all the felt at the bottom of cabinet when I removed the drive units.
Don't tell me - when you found them, you said "Rats!"

Think yourself lucky - you could have had sparrows nesting in the tweeters too... :run:

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't tell me - when you found them, you said "Rats!"Think yourself lucky - you could have had sparrows nesting in the tweeters too... :run:

DrBoar

Wammer
New Wammer
Feb 6, 2012
Felt is good, Klang & Ton showed that glueing felt to 19mm MDF surprisingly good damping of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online