FEMALE, YOUNG & PRETTY FEMALE SPORTS TV PRESENTERS / COMMENTATORS

stylesound

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 30, 2009
Kendal, Cumbria ,
AKA
Mike
Many of our male dominated sports such as golf, motorcycle and car racing, darts, athletics, snooker, football, cricket, rugby league & union etc now have attractive young female sports presenters, interviwers and commentators.  Did they get the job because of what they can add as a result of their experience and knowledge or is it because the sport is so dull that it needs bolstering with the presence of a young pretty female.  A bit like the Sun newspaper needs a page 3 girl.

Reactions: steve 57

andrew s

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 10, 2014
Cheshire
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many of our male dominated sports such as golf, motorcycle and car racing, darts, athletics, snooker, football, cricket, rugby league & union etc now have attractive young female sports presenters, interviwers and commentators.  Did they get the job because of what they can add as a result of their experience and knowledge or is it because the sport is so dull that it needs bolstering with the presence of a young pretty female.  A bit like the Sun newspaper needs a page 3 girl.
Looking at the pay differential I imagine it's cost drive - honest.

Regards Andrew 

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A gentle reminder chaps from the site AUP: Personal attacks, racist, sexist or homophobic comments or any comments that breach any laws are not allowed under any circumstances. Any posts not in line with this will be deleted immediately and may result in a permanent ban of the user.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking at the pay differential I imagine it's cost drive - honest.

Regards Andrew 
I’d be interested to see your source for the pay differential. Actual evidence of a female presenter being paid less than a male presenter of equal experience. 

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

andrew s

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 10, 2014
Cheshire
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’d be interested to see your source for the pay differential. Actual evidence of a female presenter being paid less than a male presenter of equal experience. 
I made it up, I was the source. It was intended as a light hearted comment.

Regards Andrew 

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JANDL100

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, that bloody woman commentator absolutely spoiled the Australia v Fiji RWC game this afternoon. I couldn’t bring myself to watch the second Half. I have no problem with female presenters, but there is no need to have a female commentator with a high pitched voice on mens rugby o football.

Sonofsun

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 10, 2010
Timperley
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sponsors like female representation and inclusivity, I'm an F1 fan and sometimes there are more women on screen than men ..... even though there are no female drivers.

Hope I'm not banned forever.

Reactions: Tarzan

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I have no problem with female presenters,
I've no problem either if they stick to female sports.
Listening to them on cricket is a joke, and to be honest I can't think of a sport that I watch that has been improved except one, Lydia Hislop on Racing TV.

mjd

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 11, 2008
dorset
AKA
Mike
I have no problem with who is doing the commentary or the technical analysis of any sport, providing they are the best available to do the job, and are not there to comply with some abstract quota dreamt up by some unknown committee.

Reactions: Sonofsun and Gizza

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I have no problem with who is doing the commentary or the technical analysis of any sport, providing they are the best available to do the job, and are not there to comply with some abstract quota dreamt up by some unknown committee.
Did you question those quotas when men dominated the commentary rooms and punditry?

DT79

Wammer
Apr 6, 2022
Bournemouth, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It‘s all about inclusion and representation and that can only be a good thing. The problem is that we are in an awkward transition phase where it hasn’t happened naturally, so too often you end up with a female presenter who very few people have ever hear of and who doesn’t seem qualified to be there, especially when they appear to have displaced an established household name.

You can’t blame them they’re only taking the opportunity they’ve been given, but nevertheless the contrivance is jarring.

Wind forward a few years and it will be the norm and more of the female presenters will be household names themselves because they have achieved noteworthy things in their sports, driven by greater opportunities and interest in the female side of various sports. None of us will give it a second thought then.

We‘ve just got to get through this awkward transition phase where the process has been deliberately and artificially accelerated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles