Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Kane missed penalty was pivotal - both to the result of this particular game, the destination of the 2022 World Cup, and the careers of the England Captain who missed the spot kick, and his backer and manager Gareth Southgate who favoured him all along against the form pick Marcus Rashford.
Kane and Southgate sink or swim together and this was the Mississippi braking its banks.

Goodbye!

THE FUTURE?
Is 'bright': 'going forward' (I HATE that phrase) - Jude Bellingham, Saka, Marcus, that hard nut central defender from, er, Liverpool, Jordan Henderson, Foden probably. The team should be built from these players. Youth is the way forward (or 'youf' if you are a tv pundit)because the team was let down by the old guard.

ITV team - absolutely deplorably patriotic during the game which resulted in clouded judgement, but vindicated in the aftermath, when we saw the whites of their eyes under pressure, and some heartfelt and honest appraisals of the game - let down by a conservative unwillingness to lay the blame at the doorstep of the fading star that is Harry Kane. He lost us the game. Face it!

Dont say I didnt predict this cos I jollywell did. Kane is an ex-England capt and striker.
And Southgate an ex manager - they are both history and the sooner the better.

Jack NSM

Reactions: deggie

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Kane missed penalty was pivotal - both to the result of this particular game, the destination of the 2022 World Cup, and the careers of the England Captain who missed the spot kick, and his backer and manager Gareth Southgate who favoured him all along against the form pick Marcus Rashford.
Kane and Southgate sink or swim together and this was the Mississippi braking its banks.

Goodbye!

THE FUTURE?
Is 'bright': 'going forward' (I HATE that phrase) - Jude Bellingham, Saka, Marcus, that hard nut central defender from, er, Liverpool, Jordan Henderson, Foden probably. The team should be built from these players. Youth is the way forward (or 'youf' if you are a tv pundit)because the team was let down by the old guard.

ITV team - absolutely deplorably patriotic during the game which resulted in clouded judgement, but vindicated in the aftermath, when we saw the whites of their eyes under pressure, and some heartfelt and honest appraisals of the game - let down by a conservative unwillingness to lay the blame at the doorstep of the fading star that is Harry Kane. He lost us the game. Face it!

Dont say I didnt predict this cos I jollywell did. Kane is an ex-England capt and striker.
And Southgate an ex manager - they are both history and the sooner the better.

Jack NSM
Nonsense.

Ears

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 12, 2006
Elsewhere, ,
From another BBC HYS:

Nick: The year is 2042. England have just lost in another World Cup knockout game, Harry Kane has been sacked as manager and still we have no win since 1966. Meanwhile, Jimmy [Anderson] has just taken his 1,500th Test wicket.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At the top level - which is what we see in the World Cup - England don't quite have what it takes. They can waste time passing around the back four and they just don't move up fast enough to a goal scoring position. Far too often there are too few players close to the goal to score effectively. That doesn't work at this level. France moved forwards far more quickly which is why they scored goals. And their strikers are not only fast but more skilful. A world class striker or winger makes all the difference. England haven't had a Messi or a Mbappe for years. You'd have to go back to George Best for world class skills, and he wasn't even English.

Last edited:

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At the top level - which is what we see in the World Cup - England don't quite have what it takes. They can waste time passing around the back four and they just don't move up fast enough to a goal scoring position. Far too often there are too few players close to the goal to score effectively. That doesn't work at this level. France moved forwards far more quickly which is why they scored goals. And their strikers are not only fast but more skilful. A world class striker makes all the difference. England haven't had a Messi or a Mbappe for years. You'd have to go back to George Best for world class skills, and he wasn't even English.
I agree with some that, France were slicker at passing, England looked ponderous. Having said that France did not create that many changes and their second goal was against the run of play. Kane was the top striker last World cup but maybe past his best now? He had at least 3 clear cut chances but only took 1.
The first French goal could have been ruled out, so we were a bit hard done.

Reactions: antonio66

DIB

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Penalty miss aside, Kane was the best player on the pitch. I thought England were the better team but it's goals that count.

I agree it's been a great World Cup actual football wise, but some of the refereeing and VAR decisions have been puzzling to say the least.

I've lost count of the number of times over the years that I've said "if he hadn't already been booked the referee would have booked him there". Griezmann should have gone last night, niggly fouls all night. Nothing vicious, just niggly and intentional.

Oh well there's always 2026 to look forward to.

PS: Sam Matterface, who I think is an awful commentator, should never commentate again for his "We wanted Gary Lineker, instead we got Chris Waddle" line. Some wag on Twitter posted "We wanted Clive Tyldesley, instead we got Sam Matterface"

PPS: That stunt The Sun newspaper pulled by having a giant billboard in the centre of Paris spouting jingoistic, crass bullshit was so embarrassing, it beggered belief.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was a great effort but France had the edge , they are more cut and thrust than our methodical build up . Going back over the years our teams never possess players with a cynical edge , we moan about the dirty , Argies, Uruguayans, Italians etc but they get the job done , Kylie Walker aside we are all too nice , our FA probably .

Reactions: Tony_J

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was a great effort but France had the edge , they are more cut and thrust than our methodical build up . Going back over the years our teams never possess players with a cynical edge , we moan about the dirty , Argies, Uruguayans, Italians etc but they get the job done , Kylie Walker aside we are all too nice , our FA probably .
Ah but it's not Cricket... :unsure::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
our FA probably .
The England set up is based primarily on power,compliancy of the manager to mirror their ideas and the players to implement this. I get the impression that genuine talent/ability and a win at all cost mentality has never been encouraged or instilled in "the system". Not in my lifetime anyway.
* Violin 🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻

• Upvote
Reactions: Bazzer

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Penalty miss aside, Kane was the best player on the pitch. I thought England were the better team but it's goals that count.

I agree it's been a great World Cup actual football wise, but some of the refereeing and VAR decisions have been puzzling to say the least.

I've lost count of the number of times over the years that I've said "if he hadn't already been booked the referee would have booked him there". Griezmann should have gone last night, niggly fouls all night. Nothing vicious, just niggly and intentional.

Oh well there's always 2026 to look forward to.

PS: Sam Matterface, who I think is an awful commentator, should never commentate again for his "We wanted Gary Lineker, instead we got Chris Waddle" line. Some wag on Twitter posted "We wanted Clive Tyldesley, instead we got Sam Matterface"

PPS: That stunt The Sun newspaper pulled by having a giant billboard in the centre of Paris spouting jingoistic, crass bullshit was so embarrassing, it beggered belief.
ITV have always been bad at football commentary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles