Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
£100M for Kane, £100M for Saka, £125M+ for Rice. Really?

Same old, same old for England last night. Put them up against a well drilled and organised team and they are lost. Far too slow with virtually no creativity going forward. It feels like a proper World Cup now.

Reactions: deggie

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A truly dismal performance by England, is it Southgate or the players that are at fault?
All players were talking the party line after the game. "We are in a good position" etc etc.
They could have qualified last night but their eyes were on a point more than winning. Fortunately they didn't concede.
I don't think you can convey a ruthless, confident winning mentality if you never had it yourself. Southgate didn't unfortunately.
Steady Eddie imo. The FA always likes that. :)
* Possibly the most talented group to pick from in my lifetime. That's what saddens me.

Last edited:

Audio Al

Confirmed Super Numpty
Wammer
Nov 4, 2012
Boston, Lincs
AKA
Allen
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was pleased to see Lewandowski having his penalty saved, 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. Watching him during the game, he fakes injuries and goes over far too easy, of course many players do this. It is time FIFA stamped out all this play acting, especially now they have VAR. Ok it would stop games more often, but giving a card or even sending off for blatant cheating would soon put an end to this farse, and be better for the game in the long run.
Have a sin bin for divers and playing dead, players who exceed 6 roll over's along the ground , 10 mins in the bin.

Reactions: antonio66

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When it was clear that England were lacking quality ball and creativity why do you leave Foden and Trent on the bench ? Tripier was just poor and his delivery was awful and that is being kind on top of that his defending was not that great either . Only good thing is the result leaving us top of the group and only being beaten by Wales by four clear goals puts us out . I am sure Wales will be better but just can not see that side scoring four against anyone and certainly not against England so next round it is ,
Would hope Southagte would make changes but sadly I would guess this is not likely . One part of me wants Trent to sit out the whole tournament and just stray fit but the other would like to see him show the talent he has . Oh and much as I dearly love him Henderson as a sub ? Not really a good move .

Reactions: deggie

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The U.S.A. were rather good.
I liked Lee Dixon's comments on the tele - both his criticisms of England and praise of the Americans who were fit, athletic, skilled on the ball and well organised.

Neither side really looked like scoring, bar the missed chance at 25 mins from one of their best players. (He could have made me look really good!)

Southgate should surely have subbed 4 or 5 at halftime as v. Iran. Not doing so looked like dithering..
A mention for Harry McGuire's defending from their series of corners - top notch.

Jack

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Brazil, France, Spain and Argentina (in that order) are now preferred in the betting to England for this event.
Anyone still rate Kane, Sterling and Saka up front?
Will Kane remain scoreless for the whole of England's World Cup?

Jack

stylesound

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 30, 2009
Kendal, Cumbria ,
AKA
Mike
Southgate was not happy with the 6-2 win over Iran because of the 2 goals against. He appeared far happier with the 0-0 against USA because of the clean sheet. Just how negative can he continue to be. At this rate the only thing he is going to qualify for is a honoury membership to the WAM

Reactions: antonio66

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This should surprise no one Southgate was a defender and enjoys being hard to beat rather than attacking . My one worry is that he becomes just too defensive and concentrated on stopping Wales . This is because from what I have seen so far this is not a great Wales side the class players all seem to far the other side in there careers and too many are only able to play in flashes . England content were brave and went for it should easily best this side but I can see a narrow defeat with a set piece giving Wales a one nil win . Not looking like the great game of football we might have wished for .

stylesound

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 30, 2009
Kendal, Cumbria ,
AKA
Mike
Already my enjoyment of this world cup is being spoilt by comments from the tv and press media who constantly undermine the England team and try and manipulate and influence their views on the manager.

Constructive comments would be acceptable if they came from say a respected successful previous manager but pundits and failed ex managers such as Neville, Shearer & Keene are definately not this and as regards the press hacks; forget it.

Phil Fodens name has been constantly mentioned and highlighted. The resultant pressure this will put on him should he be picked to play will, through no fault of his own, be enormous. Just hope the lad can handle it, slot into the team and do the job asked of him to the best of his ability.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Already my enjoyment of this world cup is being spoilt by comments from the tv and press media who constantly undermine the England team and try and manipulate and influence their views on the manager.

Constructive comments would be acceptable if they came from say a respected successful previous manager but pundits and failed ex managers such as Neville, Shearer & Keene are definately not this and as regards the press hacks; forget it.

Phil Fodens name has been constantly mentioned and highlighted. The resultant pressure this will put on him should he be picked to play will, through no fault of his own, be enormous. Just hope the lad can handle it, slot into the team and do the job asked of him to the best of his ability.
Foden starts Mike , the call for him in the last match was over the top , the way USA set up he probably wouldn't have made any difference . Wales brought on a big fella up front in the s/h against USA and went route one , USA's midfield needing by-passing but Southgate couldn't see it , our midfield did nowt .

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was pleased to see Lewandowski having his penalty saved, 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. Watching him during the game, he fakes injuries and goes over far too easy, of course many players do this. It is time FIFA stamped out all this play acting, especially now they have VAR. Ok it would stop games more often, but giving a card or even sending off for blatant cheating would soon put an end to this farse, and be better for the game in the long run.

I have a hard time watching football. Unlike golf and snooker it's a completely dishonest game. Constant faking, cynical fouls, pulling shirts. It's not sport really, it's politics. Win an advantage and then waste time until the final whistle, and frustrate the other team as much as possible. Just a blatant spectacle of "win at all costs". Even the commentators are in collusion with the fouling and say out loud "he had to foul him or he could have scored". It's just completely dishonest these days. Referees don't dare to penalise each and every foul because there would probably only be 5 or 6 left on the pitch. I don't think there's any possible way back to an honest game. Just won't happen.

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a hard time watching football. Unlike golf and snooker it's a completely dishonest game. Constant faking, cynical fouls, pulling shirts. It's not sport really, it's politics. Win an advantage and then waste time until the final whistle, and frustrate the other team as much as possible. Just a blatant spectacle of "win at all costs". Even the commentators are in collusion with the fouling and say out loud "he had to foul him or he could have scored". It's just completely dishonest these days. Referees don't dare to penalise each and every foul because there would probably only be 5 or 6 left on the pitch. I don't think there's any possible way back to an honest game. Just won't happen.
Yup Tis not the beautiful game, it is the ugly game. A scrabble by a rabble.

Still I am quarter Welsh, so this is the right time to say “we wuz robbed”.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online