Final Test ends in disgrace

White Pheasant

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
Norfolk fields
AKA
Michael
The fourth and final Test Match between England and Pakistan at the Oval (London)appears to have ended indisgrace as the Pakistanis were accused of ball tampering by the umpires.

England were awarded 5 extra penalty runs but, on the resumptionof play, the Pakistan team refused to take to the field of play (presumablyin protest at feeling hard done by) and the umpires had no option other than todeclare the match forfeitedand therefore won by England.

A bemused24,000 spectators sat around for two hours before a brief announcement was finallymade to say that extensivetalks were currently taking place between thevarious bodies involved. At the time of writing no official finalannouncement has been made (bearing in mind the game was due to continue intotomorrow's final day).

Today's highlightspresently being shown on Channel 5 - mightprovide some further information!

White Pheasant

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
Norfolk fields
AKA
Michael
Some interesting comments on Channel 5 after the game. Apparently there is a bit of 'history' between the senior umpire, Darrell Hare, and the Pakistan team. Also, he is apparently not a good 'communicator' with the players but rather has a very 'black and white' style of officiating, which probably hasn't helped in this situation.

Itappears both sets of players are quite happy for the match to resume tomorrow but it seems hard to imagine how that can now happen after today's events. So yes, a sad day for the sport. AndI wonder whether Darrell Hare will ever be asked to umpire a match involving Pakistan in the future!

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Game Over - England win. Any other result is a farce.

If you don't come out to play you forfiet the game, and that has always been the rule. They knew it, but thought they could get away with it. When it all whent wrong they atrted with the " erm, we didn't mean it etc"/ Bunch of arse way to finish a game.

Looks like the ball had been into the crowd a few times before inspection. Very bad umpiring kicked it off, but Pakistan have only themselves to blame for the result.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
HiFiWigWam wrote:

Game Over - England win. Any other result is a farce.If you don't come out to play you forfiet the game, and that has always been the rule. They knew it, but thought they could get away with it. When it all whent wrong they atrted with the " erm, we didn't mean it etc"/ Bunch of arse way to finish a game.

Looks like the ball had been into the crowd a few times before inspection. Very bad umpiring kicked it off, but Pakistan have only themselves to blame for the result.
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif

Quite so. They knew the rules: they did what they did to put the Umpires on the spot. The Umpires reacted according to the rulebook and Pakistan are now making them out to be the bad guys. Cynical, cynical, cynical.

Would they have done it if the series had been one-all? Yeah, right.
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pakistan should have just got on with it. It wasn't as if the England team had accused them of cheating - I could possibly understand it then, but they would have won this match if they had got on with it.

Having said that the ball did look in strange shape for only 55 overs, even if it had been in the crowd a couple of times, also did you see the reverse swing the guy was getting on it ? If that was a consequence of a cricket ball bouncing on concrete than I'd be a little surprised.

I think Hare had seen that reverse swing, got suspicious and checked the ball, although apparently there was no footage evidence of the Pakistanis doing anything wrong.

A very bad advert for the game all round - if the umpires had no evidence of foul play they should have let the bowlers get on with it.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
55 Overs is quite a lot with Peterson batting and knocking the ball into the concrete on a few occassions. Also, we don't know if it wasn't just a faulty ball. I would be very suprised if Pakistan had tampered with the ball, when sop far ahead. Or at all given the amount of controversy surrounding it these days.

The reverse swing was startling, but then I manageto swing the ball all over the place without even trying... or even knowing how I do it.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
biggrin.png
Or where it will end up.:lmao:

E

earl of sodbury

What's really annoying about this incident (aside from everything) is that the media and some Pak politicos are trying to spin this into a political incident; FFS the umpire's word is law - even when he's wrong, he's right!!!
wub.png
:X:X Cupid stunts!!!

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hang on a minute, everyone has forgotten special exemption b) subsection ull) part sh) paragraph it) only available to Pakistani teams.

It quote's :- " a team is allow to cheat when in danger of looking foolish and not being able to get the opposing side out"

Sorry guys but it looks like everyone has missed that one. :minikiev:

Marco

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2005
Wrexham, North Wales
I read the title of this thread and thought that for once something remotely exciting had happened during a cricket match...like a pitch invasion or some chinless wonder getting thumped over the head with a cricket bat; alas no
biggrin.png

Still I live in hope!
smile.png

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, we might want to blame Pakistan but how many of us can honestly say that we've never forfeited an international cricket match after being accused of ball tampering?

Not many, I bet.

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So 'Hair' wanted $500,000. Maybe it was all a cunning plan?

E-mail transcript:

Doug, just to firm up what we discussed earlier this evening. I appreciate the ICC may be put in a untenable position with regards to future appointments and having taken considerable time and advice, I make this one-off, non-negotiable offer. I am prepared to retire/stand down/relinquish my position on the elite panel to take effect from 31st August 2006 on the following terms:

1) A one-off payment to compensate the loss of future earnings and retain a payment over the next four years which I believe would have been the best years I have to offer ICC and world umpiring. This payment is to be the sum of $500,000 - details of which must be kept confidential by both parties. This sum to be paid directly into my account by 31st August 2006.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/cricket/article1221915.ece

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DorothPike