FLAC playback on a Mac

TheMinimalCriminal

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2010
Villereal, France
AKA
Jon
I've recently acquired a Mac and looking for some music software that supports FLAC playback. Had been trying Vox, but it's pretty broken for me (media keys don't work, neither does the search function).

Quite happy to pay for decent software, doesn't have to be free at all (not that free is bad ;-) )

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Plenty of suitable free/commercial programmes available for Windows etc - fortunately I know very little about Apple hardware.

May you suitably sort.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've recently acquired a Mac and looking for some music software that supports FLAC playback. Had been trying Vox, but it's pretty broken for me (media keys don't work, neither does the search function).Quite happy to pay for decent software, doesn't have to be free at all (not that free is bad ;-) )
I would just buy another hard disk and convert your collection to AIFF or Apple Lossless using XLD. I maintain my collection in two formats; AIFF for my main system, and Apple Lossless to use with my iPods with both collections mirrored onto second hard disks for backup.

You can get music players like Decibel (I have it and it sounds better than iTunes), that can play FLAC, but I personally think it makes more sense to just convert the files to something more iTunes friendly, as huge hard disks cost peanuts these days.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Why would you want to be more iTunes friendly? iTunes sucks large mammalian balls.

TheMinimalCriminal

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2010
Villereal, France
AKA
Jon
I would just buy another hard disk and convert your collection to AIFF or Apple Lossless using XLD. I maintain my collection in two formats; AIFF for my main system, and Apple Lossless to use with my iPods with both collections mirrored onto second hard disks for backup.You can get music players like Decibel (I have it and it sounds better than iTunes), that can play FLAC, but I personally think it makes more sense to just convert the files to something more iTunes friendly, as huge hard disks cost peanuts these days.
I've no inclination to use iTunes at all...

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why would you want to be more iTunes friendly? iTunes sucks large mammalian balls.
I think the combination of iTunes and XLD works well for ripping and organizing music files for me. I don't use iTunes for playback though. I use Decibel or BitPerfect on a Mac, but more usually I use MPD running on a BeagleBone Black or Raspberry Pi to play the tunes in the iTunes folder heirarchy controlled by a Nexus 7 or iPod Touch. I use iTunes for loading playlists onto my iPod shuffle.

roob

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 22, 2009
stoke-on-trent, ,
AKA
andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Does the mac version of JRiver support flac?
Yes but it is really unstable with Mavericks, sounds good when it does work though.

As suggested earlier just convert the flacs to aiff and use Bitperfect c£5 that works with iTunes, or if you want to spend more then Audirvana+ is very good.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree - especially from my purchased iTunes songs - that suitable great free converting is way to go.

TheMinimalCriminal

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2010
Villereal, France
AKA
Jon
I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to just have to convert stuff for the Mac. Have tried about 10 different media players so far and they are either shit at maintaining a library, or things like the media keys don't work in them. It's really starting to get on my tits.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online