Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 6, 2007
NZ & loving it!
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
One of those 'if it ain't broke' situations. As time passes, some other features are thought of that might be useful, or technology develops meaning more functionality or scope can be included.

G

Indeed, it's been incredibly stable because it was well designed and the reference implmentation was well written.

It's probably old news, but I found this article on the xiph.org site very interesting.

The whole "24/96? well we're 24/192" / "Oh yeah, well we do 32/384" thing very reminiscent of the number of blades in a cartridge razor. 2/3/4/5/as advertised by Beckham; nothing but a pointless marketing arms race.

No sooner had The Onion produced a parody upping the ante to 5 blades, than those dorks at Gillette actually went and made one. The current state of the art is six.

I'm just waiting for the "oh yeah? well we do an infinity Hertz DAC. Hah!".

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Can't wait for first person to say v1.3 sounds better. In fact it's probably already happened.

Tools.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Indeed, it's been incredibly stable because it was well designed and the reference implmentation was well written.It's probably old news, but I found this article on the xiph.org site very interesting.

The whole "24/96? well we're 24/192" / "Oh yeah, well we do 32/384" thing very reminiscent of the number of blades in a cartridge razor. 2/3/4/5/as advertised by Beckham; nothing but a pointless marketing arms race.

[/i]Hertz DAC. Hah!".
I would prefer to listen to high resolution recordings myself and make up my own mind. I'm not sure why the author of a lossy compression library needs to go on a propaganda war attacking high resolution sound formats, but it could be something to do with him being the author of a lossy compression format.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
I would prefer to listen to high resolution recordings myself and make up my own mind. I'm not sure why the author of a lossy compression library needs to go on a propaganda war attacking high resolution sound formats' date=' but it could be something to do with him being the author of a lossy compression format.[/quote']

WTF are you on about?

• Upvote
Reactions: rockabillybass

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
WTF are you on about?
Have you read the article '24/192 Music Downloads ...and why they make no sense' that I am talking about? Monty designed the Ogg Vorbis lossy compression audio format.

G

Can't wait for first person to say v1.3 sounds better
FLAC v1.3 sounds better than v1.2

In fact, it sounds better than WAV.

There, that's got it out of the way.

Any more elephants you'd like me to remove from the room?

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Have you read the article '24/192 Music Downloads ...and why they make no sense' that I am talking about? Monty designed the Ogg Vorbis lossy compression audio format.
What do sample rates have to do with lossy or lossless compression?

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What do sample rates have to do with lossy or lossless compression?
I think the issue of whether or not sample rates above 44.1 khz are audibly superior to CD quality sound, is certainly related to the issue of how audible lossy compression format such as MP3 or Ogg Vorbis are compared with CD quality sound and above. All I'm saying is that the are plenty of equally expert people who don't think the Red Book CD at 16/44.1 is the be all and end all of digital sound quality, and that the guy may not be as unbiased as he appears to be.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
I think the issue of whether or not sample rates above 44.1 khz are audibly superior to CD quality sound, is certainly related to the issue of how audible lossy compression format such as MP3 or Ogg Vorbis are compared with CD quality sound and above. All I'm saying is that the are plenty of equally expert people who don't think the Red Book CD at 16/44.1 is the be all and end all of digital sound quality, and that the guy may not be as unbiased as he appears to be.
The article is about FLAC, which is open source and lossless.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The article is about FLAC, which is open source and lossless.
Yes, that's true but I was making an off topic reply to an off topic comment that high resolution formats were pointless.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
You might also want to chew on this for a bit

What licensing applies to the Ogg Vorbis format?The Ogg Vorbis specification is in the public domain. It is completely free for commercial or noncommercial use. That means that commercial developers may independently write Ogg Vorbis software which is compatible with the specification for no charge and without restrictions of any kind. However, the software packages we have developed are available under various free/open-source software licenses with varying allowances and restrictions.

G

Yes, that's true but I was making an off topic reply to an off topic comment that high resolution formats were pointless.
Not totally off-topic. xiph.org are the new maintainers of FLAC - hence me making reference to the article in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah what cable do you use :)
Xenu FannyMagnet special edition - how about you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles