Focal 806V

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
2,571
7
68
Middlesbrough, Cleve
Got 'em set up at home (demo pair).

They're much more suited to my amp than the Neats. As the Focals dont demand a lot of power, and probably due to it's sensitivity, they work better with the 2010S, than the Neats - even at low levels they sound awesome, which is what i've wanted for ages!

The 2010S on its own seems a perfect amp for the 806V, but with the Neats im sure they would be far better bi-amped with a 2010S power amp - they just seem much more power hungry, whereby with the Focals, it just seems a perfect match.

Superb at all levels. The bass is much more heavy, and an overall 'full' sound. Im sure the Neats would be as good with the extra power.

Im undecided as to what to do. The downside of the Focals is that the bass can be overpowering in my room (just slightly), and the Neats do look better.

I'll most probably keep the Neats and save for that power amp.

Overall, really surprised at just how good the Focals are, at £500 they really are a stonking buy.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif


 

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
17,311
65
0
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
oooh you audioslut, your ears are roving again.
tongue.png
wink.png


The 806V sounds like a good choice for peeps who like to keep their amplification to a single integrated box and who want to maximise that amp's modest? (<100W) power.

Can you comment on the performance of those metal tweeter units? Do they defy the stereotype of metal domes sounding shrill at times?

SS

 

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
2,571
7
68
Middlesbrough, Cleve
solidstateman wrote:

oooh you audioslut, your ears are roving again.
tongue.png
wink.png
The 806V sounds like a good choice for peeps who like to keep their amplification to a single integrated box and who want to maximise that amp's modest? (<100W) power.

Can you comment on the performance of those metal tweeter units? Do they defy the stereotype of metal domes sounding shrill at times?

SS
thats right! Hifi slut! hehe.

Yeah its been interesting. To be honest, as soon as I first put them on I knew they were something special. Reminded me of the synergy of the Epos M5/ Qinpu set up, but BETTER!

Its such a good match, even complex music is a walk in the park with them. They're a LOT faster than the Neats, timing is perfect. I now realise that with the Neats, and the one amp, nothing seems tight, as they defintely want MORE POWER! As I said, things would probably be a lot better with the power amp.

The highs are smooth as you could want, I know what you mean about some metal domes being shrill (my old Mordaunt-Short Avantswere good at this! talk about SHREEK!!). The Focals however, are very different. I could listen for hours im sure.

2 choices then..

1. Trade Neats in (or sell privately) and go for the Focals. No power amp required.

2. Take Focals back, and save for a power amp.

The more I think about it the more it makes perfect sense to go with Focal. It sounds great, and it would save me money in the long run.

 

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
17,311
65
0
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
roll_with_it wrote:

solidstateman wrote:
oooh you audioslut, your ears are roving again.
tongue.png
wink.png
The 806V sounds like a good choice for peeps who like to keep their amplification to a single integrated box and who want to maximise that amp's modest? (<100W) power.

Can you comment on the performance of those metal tweeter units? Do they defy the stereotype of metal domes sounding shrill at times?

SS
thats right! Hifi slut! hehe.

Yeah its been interesting. To be honest, as soon as I first put them on I knew they were something special. Reminded me of the synergy of the Epos M5/ Qinpu set up, but BETTER!

Its such a good match, even complex music is a walk in the park with them. They're a LOT faster than the Neats, timing is perfect. I now realise that with the Neats, and the one amp, nothing seems tight, as they defintely want MORE POWER! As I said, things would probably be a lot better with the power amp.

The highs are smooth as you could want, I know what you mean about some metal domes being shrill (my old Mordaunt-Short Avantswere good at this! talk about SHREEK!!). The Focals however, are very different. I could listen for hours im sure.

2 choices then..

1. Trade Neats in (or sell privately) and go for the Focals. No power amp required.

2. Take Focals back, and save for a power amp.

The more I think about it the more it makes perfect sense to go with Focal. It sounds great, and it would save me money in the long run.
I'd say ditch the Neats for the Focals. There is only so much you can do to improve a smallish standmount's performance by biamping with a power amp. Trust me, I've once been down this route: MF X-150/X-P200 menage a trois-ing Epos M5. Not pretty:p

Why don't you exchange the 806 with the bigger 807 for the demo? Might as well get the best standmount in this range.
wink.png


btw, if you can, do listen to some flute and jazz bass music on my behalf. The former will really suss out the metal domes' behaviour while the latter will see if that humongous front port is a) nimble, or b) farts like a Quad L:oops:

^ Ta, you may save me a trip to my local Focals.
biggrin.png


SS

 
E

earl of sodbury

Guest
I agree with Solid - based on similar experiences, and you obviously like the sound of the Focals, so stickwith'em - they are damned good, and being unusually sensitive for standmounts theyleave the door open to experiment with class A solid state, or valves in the future:^

 

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
2,571
7
68
Middlesbrough, Cleve
solidstateman wrote:

roll_with_it wrote:
solidstateman wrote:
oooh you audioslut, your ears are roving again.
tongue.png
wink.png
The 806V sounds like a good choice for peeps who like to keep their amplification to a single integrated box and who want to maximise that amp's modest? (<100W) power.

Can you comment on the performance of those metal tweeter units? Do they defy the stereotype of metal domes sounding shrill at times?

SS
thats right! Hifi slut! hehe.

Yeah its been interesting. To be honest, as soon as I first put them on I knew they were something special. Reminded me of the synergy of the Epos M5/ Qinpu set up, but BETTER!

Its such a good match, even complex music is a walk in the park with them. They're a LOT faster than the Neats, timing is perfect. I now realise that with the Neats, and the one amp, nothing seems tight, as they defintely want MORE POWER! As I said, things would probably be a lot better with the power amp.

The highs are smooth as you could want, I know what you mean about some metal domes being shrill (my old Mordaunt-Short Avantswere good at this! talk about SHREEK!!). The Focals however, are very different. I could listen for hours im sure.

2 choices then..

1. Trade Neats in (or sell privately) and go for the Focals. No power amp required.

2. Take Focals back, and save for a power amp.

The more I think about it the more it makes perfect sense to go with Focal. It sounds great, and it would save me money in the long run.
I'd say ditch the Neats for the Focals. There is only so much you can do to improve a smallish standmount's performance by biamping with a power amp. Trust me, I've once been down this route: MF X-150/X-P200 menage a trois-ing Epos M5. Not pretty:p

Why don't you exchange the 806 with the bigger 807 for the demo? Might as well get the best standmount in this range.
wink.png


btw, if you can, do listen to some flute and jazz bass music on my behalf. The former will really suss out the metal domes' behaviour while the latter will see if that humongous front port is a) nimble, or b) farts like a Quad L:oops:

^ Ta, you may save me a trip to my local Focals.
biggrin.png


SS
In my room the 807 would be a bad idea. As it is, the 806's bass can be overpowering with certain music. Currently listening to a great Scottish bandCroft No5 - http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum4/225-9.html

A mix of funk/jazz/dance. Some really deep bass and the Focals are very capable here. The front ports do a great job.

Also some very high sounds on (dont laugh) Dire Straits Brothers In Arms. Again, the tweeters are awesome. Mark Knopflers deep voice sounds awesome.

Honest, try 'em, you really cant go wrong with these. You know you wont rest until you do!
party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif


 

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
6,012
1,532
158
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Fuck me, will someone please say something bad about these speakers.

I am trying to convince my kids that they need some for Christmas, but at 8,6 and 5 years old they are not really interested.

 

smegger68

With your sister, somewhere you wouldn't like.
Wammer
Jan 18, 2006
2,500
40
93
Bridgend
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Brown Bottle wrote:

Fuck me, will someone please say something bad about these speakers.I am trying to convince my kids that they need some for Christmas, but at 8,6 and 5 years old they are not really interested.
Lol sorry Steve, you wont hear many bad things about Focals on this forum! My Chorus 714s floorstanders are currently being rested while I try my bargain Linn Keosa's out, but I dont see them being ousted for very long. Great speakers IMO.

Mind you, you may have trouble finding stockings big enough to accomodate them come Christmas time....!

 

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
6,012
1,532
158
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
smegger68 wrote:

Brown Bottle wrote:
Fuck me, will someone please say something bad about these speakers.I am trying to convince my kids that they need some for Christmas, but at 8,6 and 5 years old they are not really interested.
Lol sorry Steve, you wont hear many bad things about Focals on this forum! My Chorus 714s floorstanders are currently being rested while I try my bargain Linn Keosa's out, but I dont see them being ousted for very long. Great speakers IMO.

Mind you, you may have trouble finding stockings big enough to accomodate them come Christmas time....!
I fell in love with the 807's at the Heathrow show James. I love my M5's but listening to them now is like shagging Charlotte Church after a one night stand with Kylie.

 

The Swedish Chef

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2005
1,147
0
0
Göteborg, , Sweden
AKA
Philip
Brown Bottle wrote:

I fell in love with the 807's at the Heathrow show James. I love my M5's but listening to them now is like shagging Charlotte Church after a one night stand with Kylie.
well that's gotta be one of the most astute quotes on here, brilliant:sw:

 

harv

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
1,655
101
143
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
Roll with it, did they come some supplied with foam bungs for the ports (my 816 did), you should be able to restrict the bass a little this way.

 

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
2,571
7
68
Middlesbrough, Cleve
harv wrote:

Roll with it, did they come some supplied with foam bungs for the ports (my 816 did), you should be able to restrict the bass a little this way.
Hi Harv,

they're a demo pair, so maybe theyve been taken out of the box at some point..

I doubt the bass would be a problem, most likey something i'd get used to. The 807 probably would be a problem in my room though, as it uses a bigger midbass driver and cabinet.

Im in no rush to decide, going away in 2 days for a while.

 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
109,322
Messages
2,318,123
Members
69,456
Latest member
zlatan