Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Foo! .

I see the term used across the site , and sort of understand what it means by implication, ie errant nonsense tricksterism or snake oil.

But where is the term from and what exactly is its meaning, if it has one.

thanks folks

Martha's dad

Now Milly's dad
Wammer
Jun 2, 2007
Overstrand
AKA
Papa du chien
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is from an ancient aramaic text in which early users of hi fi accessories - such as the pre mesopotamian people discovered that cables really do make a difference. "Foo me !!" they would exclaim, not having the "K" in their alphabet at that time.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The term derives from Dr Foo Manchu, the first dealer to import Chinese amplifiers in the 1920s and 30s. Many of these early amplifiers were gas-powered, and succeeded only in burning down the homes of the purchasers. This led to a lot of negative publicity, and since the products themselves had unpronounceable or unmemorable names (eg the Yqnon Audio Delicacy Turnpike MkIII), people would just say, Pah! I'm not buying that shitty Foo!

Jan 11, 2006
Foo = To fool.

First time the word is known to have been used was in 765ad by a David Constantine from Whitby after complaining of hearing no difference in his new stone speakers. :geek:

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just bought some top level, no messing around crazy science Foo out of a possibly huge mis judged decision. Once I've plugged it in and heard what happens I'll let you know my definition of the word....!

Cheers

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
The term derives from Dr Foo Manchu, the first dealer to import Chinese amplifiers in the 1920s and 30s. Many of these early amplifiers were gas-powered, and succeeded only in burning down the homes of the purchasers. This led to a lot of negative publicity, and since the products themselves had unpronounceable or unmemorable names (eg the Yqnon Audio Delicacy Turnpike MkIII), people would just say, Pah! I'm not buying that shitty Foo!
He did though, produce a subsequent range which were powered by coal and thus less of a fire risk. The "Foo-Prince" was the entry level model, with the "Foo-Queen" having a better heat exchanger and the top of the range reference edition ......................

Yes, you've guessed it, the "Foo-King"

Named so, as everyone that saw the price tag exclaimed......

:minikev:

AlanB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2007
West Midlands
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is from an ancient aramaic text in which early users of hi fi accessories - such as the pre mesopotamian people discovered that cables really do make a difference. "Foo me !!" they would exclaim, not having the "K" in their alphabet at that time.
Brilliant!!

That made me laugh out loud.

Holly sends Martha her love......... :flowers:

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Could this be a cure for the worlds food supply shortage ? Imagine the stew ? What is the breast meat like ? How big are they ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online