Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-all-new-2022-f1-car.4OLg8DrXyzHzdoGrbqp6ye.html

My initial understanding is the major thing is the floor is going to change and the aim will be to make the cars more ‘ground effecty’ if that makes sense. It suits longer wheel base designs better so if the high rake designs do change to suit it will be a bigger evolution for them than the Mercedes designed and influenced cars. But we’ve seen almighty f*** ups before so…

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-all-new-2022-f1-car.4OLg8DrXyzHzdoGrbqp6ye.html

My initial understanding is the major thing is the floor is going to change and the aim will be to make the cars more ‘ground effecty’ if that makes sense. It suits longer wheel base designs better so if the high rake designs do change to suit it will be a bigger evolution for them than the Mercedes designed and influenced cars. But we’ve seen almighty f*** ups before so…
Yep - and also they are attempting to make the design less susceptible to "dirty air" from the car in front, which should make for better racing.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I shall read and digest all this new information and come back to you with my expert opinion(NOT) later😝😝😝😝😝

Reactions: Tony_J

Steve Stifler

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2015
Leatherhead
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like Mercedes have waived the white flag. Very disappointed. All hail the presidential review. Bet the outcome will be a whitewash. As others have hinted, money, sponsorship, tv rights and the like has also killed my interest in another sporting favourite.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks like Mercedes have waived the white flag. Very disappointed. All hail the presidential review. Bet the outcome will be a whitewash. As others have hinted, money, sponsorship, tv rights and the like has also killed my interest in another sporting favourite.
Personally I'm relieved that Mercedes have decided not to pursue an appeal. There could have been no good outcome if they had.

Last edited by a moderator:

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A legal process that leaves the true champion strictly in doubt for many weeks, with the potential of Max being stripped of the title and it being handed to Lewis. Who would truly feel like celebrating if that happened?
Summed up perfectly Martin👍

zeta4

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2009
Oxford, , United Kin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the case had gone to the Court of Appeal and the decisions made during the race shown to be illegal, then the only thing that could be done, in my opinion would be to declare the race result null and void. I dont see how they could give the race to Lewis because you dont know what would have happened if the safety car rules had been applied properly. Even if he was in the lead by miles as there would be no guarantee that he would have finished the race in that position . He could easily have got a puncture for example.

So if they did declare the race null and void then Max would still have won the championship by countback.

Maybe that and other considerations were taken into account by Mercedes but I think the main one would be that Mercedes would be seen as the bad boys if this continued now that the FIA announced a review of the decisions made in the race.  As the FIA think we all "misunderstood" the safety car procedure Ive not got a lot of faith in anything substantial coming out of the review. I think its just some kind of delaying tactic until the season starts again and it will all be forgotten. 

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the case had gone to the Court of Appeal and the decisions made during the race shown to be illegal, then the only thing that could be done, in my opinion would be to declare the race result null and void. I dont see how they could give the race to Lewis because you dont know what would have happened if the safety car rules had been applied properly. Even if he was in the lead by miles as there would be no guarantee that he would have finished the race in that position . He could easily have got a puncture for example.
I'm sure Mercedes would argue that if the safety car rules were applied as written then the race would have finished behind the safety car, with Lewis therefore winning.

• Upvote
Reactions: Tony_J

zeta4

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2009
Oxford, , United Kin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm sure Mercedes would argue that if the safety car rules were applied as written then the race would have finished behind the safety car, with Lewis therefore winning.
But you cant be absolutely sure how it would have finished. Lewis would have been running slower behind the safety car and perhaps could have got his tyres cold and slid off or as I said a puncture. Highly unlikely I know but still possible.  Im sure Red Bull's lawyers would have counter appealed along those lines. 

Anyway we've been spared all the legal fun and games. It would have been fun to watch but bad for F1 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles