New Wammer
Jun 20, 2020
Nottingham
AKA
Kevin Price
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Changes. The Croft "Big Pre" was due some TLC and with the very sad passing of Glenn a long term itch was scratched with the addition of a Tron Convergence signature phono. It's only a couple of months old and so still revealing it's full character, but let's say the G.T. reputation is 20230328_114827.jpg warranted.
On the CD front the Exposure XM 5 as gone, replaced by a Project RS2 T and l have to say the glowing testimony it regularly receives is fully justified. I've added a L.T.A. lps from the US and together with an Audio Note dac redbook has never sounded so good.
And apologies for having to see that dinghy carpet.... the thought of firstly moving all that kit gives me the shivers! Happy listening.

Attachments

• 20230328_114827.jpg
    20230328_114827.jpg
    702.8 KB · Views: 30

bullinachinashop

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2022
Milton Keynes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Changes. The Croft "Big Pre" was due some TLC and with the very sad passing of Glenn a long term itch was scratched with the addition of a Tron Convergence signature phono. It's only a couple of months old and so still revealing it's full character, but let's say the G.T. reputation is 20230328_114827.jpg warranted.
On the CD front the Exposure XM 5 as gone, replaced by a Project RS2 T and l have to say the glowing testimony it regularly receives is fully justified. I've added a L.T.A. lps from the US and together with an Audio Note dac redbook has never sounded so good.
And apologies for having to see that dinghy carpet.... the thought of firstly moving all that kit gives me the shivers! Happy listening.
Excuse my ignorance, what are the black boxes at the left and right edges of the photo?

And have you got a pre and power on the left for digital duties and the same on the right for the TT?

And is the black box at the front a centre speaker, or sub?!

So many questions 🤯

Kevin Price

Kevin
New Wammer
Jun 20, 2020
Nottingham
AKA
Kevin Price
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Excuse my ignorance, what are the black boxes at the left and right edges of the photo?

And have you got a pre and power on the left for digital duties and the same on the right for the TT?

And is the black box at the front a centre speaker, or sub?!

So many questions 🤯
Ask away😊 The two Black boxes are the speaker crossovers, meaning A LOT of extra speaker cable.
The four silver boxes either side of the turntable are all one preamplifier, so left and right channels, line stage and power supply.
The black box front and centre is the power amplifier. The actual sub is partially hiding behind the right speaker.

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ask away😊 The two Black boxes are the speaker crossovers, meaning A LOT of extra speaker cable.
The four silver boxes either side of the turntable are all one preamplifier, so left and right channels, line stage and power supply.
The black box front and centre is the power amplifier. The actual sub is partially hiding behind the right speaker.
Glad to know iam not the only one running external crossovers with copper shielding. A lot more cables yes... But I find its worth it in the end.

Kevin Price

Kevin
New Wammer
Jun 20, 2020
Nottingham
AKA
Kevin Price
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Glad to know iam not the only one running external crossovers with copper shielding. A lot more cables yes... But I find its worth it in the end.
Definitely worth the investment, being both in money and floor space.
I believe your whole speaker setup is bespoke 👍much respect for that approach.

• Love
Reactions: newlash09

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Definitely worth the investment, being both in money and floor space.
I believe your whole speaker setup is bespoke 👍much respect for that approach.
Thanks for the kind words sir 😊

bullinachinashop

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2022
Milton Keynes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wowzers. So dedicated pre-amplification for each channel?! But one power amp, not mono blocks?

And do the crossovers send a signal to the sub, or does it come from the power amp?

Kevin Price

Kevin
New Wammer
Jun 20, 2020
Nottingham
AKA
Kevin Price
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Wowzers. So dedicated pre-amplification for each channel?! But one power amp, not mono blocks?

And do the crossovers send a signal to the sub, or does it come from the power amp?
Yes the pre's were really designed to work with mono blocks, but this type of power amp (triode Western Electric 300b push pull) works superbly with this speaker, and so l stay with what works, to these ears at least, 15 years and counting in this configuration 😊
That synergy is extended through to the sub, it being wired from the power amp and therefore retaining the characteristics of the amplification

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think we need some better pictures of the dogs.

Here's mine, albeit long since departed.

P5090040.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online