Fuji X20

B

BD Audio

This little thing turned up this morning, I've had a quick go and first impressions I'm pretty impressed. I wasn't sure of the IQ but a trawl through the x20 Flikr groups and I could see the images possible. Sure it won't replace my 6d but I can take this most places in my coat pocket!

Fuji X20 by Jack Durant, on Flickr

fordy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 29, 2006
Wirral, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can't go wrong Jack with that little thing. I've had just over 2 years with my X10 and despite having the X-Pro for the last few months, I still shoot the X10 just as much. Precisely because it fits in your pocket and is always available. Interested to see how you get on with this...

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lovely Jack. Frankly, it's what we all should have and sod the piles of kit.

It really really tempts me, because I'm sure it will reconnect the owner with 'Taking Photographs' and not posing/lugging enough kit to need a donkey/worrying much too much about IQ etc.

It's certainly good enough no worries. Great choice and hope you enjoy it.

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looks very nice indeed. Enjoy using it and like Richard, I'm looking forward to seeing some pics taken with it.

B

BD Audio

Aye, I'm had myself locked away since Friday night as I'm kicking the ciggies but I'll venture out tomorrow and see what I can do.

I was looking at other Fuji models but tbh the smaller size of this was a lure and actually the lens IQ seems very good indeed at its widest 28mm setting especially.

photowizz

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2010
Windsor
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lovely Jack. Frankly, it's what we all should have and sod the piles of kit. It really really tempts me, because I'm sure it will reconnect the owner with 'Taking Photographs' and not posing/lugging enough kit to need a donkey/worrying much too much about IQ etc.

It's certainly good enough no worries. Great choice and hope you enjoy it.
Definitely good enough IQ wise and all current Fujis are truly wondrous things which deserve the plaudits. I am a big fan.

Also totally agree with the sentiment about reducing kit but I am finding it difficult to imagine it with a 500 or 600 on it for wildlife, sports etc...or when you need to take photos when the light is like the inside of a coal cellar. That's when the big stuff is unbeatable. I remember when I got my 1DX and took a quick "snap" of a fox in the garden in the dark. It shouldn't have been possible.

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good buy if you get on with it. Mine, well I hate it. 85% viewfinder:td:, my own fault that it was 95%. Lens is in the veiw finder far too much too. Why did i buy it:?. Take the lens cap off turn lens to turn on:wall:, unless its in the menus somewhere. Auto ISO that can only seemed to be turned off by a resetting to factory defaults:rant:. To be honest I can not be arsed to even try and learn how to use it or pick the manual up.

Apparently its a great camera

Hope you like it.

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Jack, Might sell the x20 and re-buy a 5dc and a 40mm lens. I miss that camera. I do like the size of the x20 maybe a x100(s) would be perfect for my needs. From the images on the web the x20 seems to be a great camera. Might take it to work and just mess around for a week. Be careful with the battery it doesn't last long, when we were in Malta we did a night trip, 3 hours of very careful use of the inbuilt flash the battery was dead.

Soory for thread crashing.

fordy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 29, 2006
Wirral, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lee, if you don't get on with the X20 you won't with any Fuji because they all operate similarly.

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hiya Carl, my problem is I am pinning for a 5d, in the shop the x20 seemed to fit what i needed to tide me over. The x100(s) has a 100% viewfinder and a on/off switch. I don't doubt through gritted teeth I can get some decent images from the x20. Like I said I will have a play this coming week before it gets run over by a train. hahaha

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got an X20 for my birthday - had it a couple of months now and am very pleased with it so far. Love the retro styling and the way it handles, bought the ER case too which is great. Image quality is excellent for a P&S and the inbuilt panoramic mode is brilliant. A great replacement for my ageing Panasonic.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Good buy if you get on with it. Mine, well I hate it. 85% viewfinder:td:, my own fault that it was 95%. Lens is in the veiw finder far too much too. Why did i buy it:?. Take the lens cap off turn lens to turn on:wall:, unless its in the menus somewhere. Auto ISO that can only seemed to be turned off by a resetting to factory defaults:rant:. To be honest I can not be arsed to even try and learn how to use it or pick the manual up.Apparently its a great camera

Hope you like it.
I had much the same experience with the X10 (apart from the 'blooming' issue on the sensor) I just could not get my head around the controls, far to many settings that you need to get the best out of the EXR modes. (DR settings @ 6mp output)

I was not that impressed with the output either, they looked OK (B&W especially) but not really at all sharp.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a car once, but you have to turn a key, use both feet and both hands AND look where your going at the same time. What's the F******g point of that?????

Back to a bicycle for me....oh wait tho..... :doh:

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lee, if you don't get on with the X20 you won't with any Fuji because they all operate similarly.
This. Initially when I bought the X100 I was a bit disappointed as I was unable to take any pic which was anywhere near the quality of those posted here and elsewhere. The menu and control system for the Fuji range is very diffent to the standard Nikon and Canon controls so it takes time to learn and experience to become comfortable Once you get used to it it's fine but there is a learning curve beyond some other ranges of cameras due to the lack of similarity and a few little quirks..

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I bought a car once, but you have to turn a key, use both feet and both hands AND look where your going at the same time. What's the F******g point of that?????Back to a bicycle for me....oh wait tho..... :doh:
Whats the point in having comprehensive settings in each 'auto' mode that you have to tweak to get the best out of it?

All other cameras I have had or used (Sigma DP3M, DP1X, Pentax K-7, Minolta 5D and G400, Nikon D7100/D90/D50 and others) have all been easy to use in comparison.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whats the point in having comprehensive settings in each 'auto' mode that you have to tweak to get the best out of it?All other cameras I have had or used (Sigma DP3M, DP1X, Pentax K-7, Minolta 5D and G400, Nikon D7100/D90/D50 and others) have all been easy to use in comparison.
Answered above I think.

It can't be that much effort to spend a day or two with the instruction manual. I worry about people who buy something, can't be assed learing how to use it, post an opinion that IT is therefore crap (because they don't understand it) and then move it on for something easier.

No wonder the divorce rate is so high. :)

When I first got the Nikon D90, it was exactly the same...images were unsaturated and soft, grainy, focus occasionally inaccurate, highlights blown out, tripod based images blurry etc etc etc. I knew it was me tho is the point. Three days of tweaking about in the menus (no problem at all) had it set up as I wanted it, and now I don't even think about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles