Fujifilm X-Pro3 Notes

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I've had this long enough now to have an opinion.

This is very much a more comfortable form factor for me than the Fujifilm X-T3 or the Sony A7RIII that I am used to.  In many ways, the X-T3 is a functionally better camera but I don't find the workflow as intuitive.  I still feel more comfortable with the X-Pro2 than the X-T3.  I'm using this entirely with the XF35 1.4 and nothing else though I may change if the Viltrox 33mm is significantly better.  

The build quality is very close to the X-Pro2 and the X-T3.  The titanium finish is as lovely as you imagine and, although it does mark with fingerprints, the reviews exaggerate this.  Physically, it seems to be resistant to physical scratching.  I believe there is some kind of coating on the titanium.

The focussing is faster than the X-T3.  Not by a lot, but it is there.  I gather a firmware update is promised for the T3 though.  In turn, this is a lot better than the X-Pro2 in terms of speed but more so in precision.  The face detection is the area of greatest improvement although it feels snappier generally.

The flip down screen is fine for me and indeed seems designed specifically for me.  I  really only use screens waist level and the screen on the X-Pro2 was of very little use.  The screen on the X-T4 looks like a nightmare for anyone except narcissistic vloggers.   The small 'film box' screen is something I like.  The lack of the large screen makes it feel less fragile.

Losing the D pad is more annoying than I expected.  It's probably just a function button short of what it needs.  I'm missing an extra button for ISO presets which is one that I use a lot.

The OVF is an huge step back from the X-Pro2.  It doesn't zoom so although it's large, it is really only optimised for the 23mm and for not a lot else.  With the XF35, the frame is too small.  This is a problem because the XF35 f/1.4 is a key Fuji lens  

The EVF is a small step up from the X-Pro2.  It looks larger.  I didn''t feel the X-Pro2 was lacking though.

There is no image improvement vs. the X-T3 in Capture One.  There are some rumours that Lightroom is applying less sharpening in default and that this may yield a different result to the other cameras.

A lot of people seem to be buying the Kaza case for it and this seems to be the way to go.  I also bought one and thought it better even than the well regarded Kenji case I use on my Pro2 and significantly better than the Fuji cases that are well manufactured but lack the leather quality of Kaza and Kenji.  The fit on the Kaza is better than either the Fuji or the Kenji. I haven’t tried Gariz.

This camera is very much a luxury piece.  I am looking after it much more than I do with the Pro2 and I feel it is a little more at the Leica end of things than the rest of the Fuji line.  It isn't as accomplished technically as the X-T4 but it has a different customer in mind.  I don’t think I have felt as comfortable with a camera since the Contax RTS.

Before the smudges by HectorHughMunro, on Flickr

Xpro3_vint-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I very much like the look of it but having tried the XPro1 and 2 I’ve concluded the XPro format is not for me. I’m much more at home with the standard X form.

I’ve seen review comments regarding the OVF being optimised for the 23mm which would really irritate me - if I wanted to primarily shoot with an OVF at 23mm I’d buy an X100v 😀

The screen which has caused some people angst seems fine to me. My XT3 screen primarily gets used for playback rather than composition though like you I do use it at waist height. The extra articulation on the XT4 wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference to me and for an X camera it seems unnecessary but each to their own.

I really do like the physical appearance of the XPro3 and the titanium finish makes it look a very classy piece of kit.

Richdirector

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2015
Glasgee Skottishland
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had the xpro 1 changed to x Pro 2 as better.... Bought an xh1 for work stuff but the xpro feels so much better in my hands..... This and the WR lenses really make travel and taking pics so easy... 

14mm

23mm WR

35mm WR

50mm WR

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the most interesting Fuji related development recently hasn’t been the cameras, it’s been the new Viltrox glass. 
I read recently that Fuji are likely to licence the X-Mount for the mainstream lens manufacturers like Sigma. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles