Fuses. Anyone who has tried upgrades please.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do the cleaning first, then the Vaseline

The minute smear of Vaseline is not to improve conductivity but to prevent build up of tarnish as oxygen is exclufded from the contact area
I fail to see the point of preventing tarnishing by replacing it with a poor conductor. This sounds like a way to make things worse than doing nothing to me.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I fail to see the point of preventing tarnishing by replacing it with a poor conductor. This sounds like a way to make things worse than doing nothing to me.
Non innuendo posting.

I clean all my plugs every 6 months with some Brasso and then IPA. It's just 'a thing'.

A leftover from my Naim days. Is there any tarnish on my fuses? No. But I give 'em a rub for good luck.

Does it improve the sound? Not much since I bought a Japanese amp. Which doesnt stand for such nonsense.

Unlike the Naim....

Reactions: Metatron and m7rso

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well… thank the Lordie I only asked for positive comments otherwise this would have descended into a shit-show. I get the feeling though that there is not a lot of positivity for replacement fuses, I don’t know where this feeling comes from, just a niggle in the back of my head. But I will not believe for one second that nobody on this forum has not tried upgraded fuses, be it £5 or £10 instead of 10p…never mind the £100 or £500 fuses. And as many have said, safety is the priority here, anything that risks that is a nono. So just to make those people feel better I will amend the first post to include this. But I have not one recommendation for a fuse upgrade. But I do have 4 pages of ….I don't know what.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well… thank the Lordie I only asked for positive comments otherwise this would have descended into a shit-show. I get the feeling though that there is not a lot of positivity for replacement fuses, I don’t know where this feeling comes from, just a niggle in the back of my head. But I will not believe for one second that nobody on this forum has not tried upgraded fuses, be it £5 or £10 instead of 10p…never mind the £100 or £500 fuses. And as many have said, safety is the priority here, anything that risks that is a nono. So just to make those people feel better I will amend the first post to include this. But I have not one recommendation for a fuse upgrade. But I do have 4 pages of ….I don't know what.
I have never even thought about changing my standard fuses unless required never mind actually thinking about replacing them with any fancy ones.

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you explain a little about how a more expensive fuse improves things and what those improvements are? What about changing the plug pins too? Perhaps there are some made of unobtainium.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And as many have said, safety is the priority here, anything that risks that is a nono.

<Serious reply>

Do you know of any manufacturer of 'audiophile' fuses that provides evidence of compliance with the relevant UK safety standard? I can't quickly see anything on the Synergistic Research website to suggest this is the case for example.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
People have tried them but found no difference. One is now banned. Another has already said he could not hear any difference.

If a certain ex member can't hear a difference, I would not bother.

Why don't you get some you can try and return if you don't want them?

Reactions: Tarzan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles