Fuses. Anyone who has tried upgrades please.

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Who has upgraded their fuses where they have had a positive effect on sound? How has the sound been effected? Where have you used the fuses…amps/ plugs/ anywhere else? Which fuses have you used? Many thanks in advance. Non British standard marked fuse users need not apply.

Last edited:

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Who has upgraded their fuses where they have had a positive effect on sound? How has the sound been effected? Where have you used the fuses…amps/ plugs/ anywhere else? Which fuses have you used? Many thanks in advance.
l have a few of those poncy fuses- one internally in an amp l have.....and believe it or not sound quality was improved it was subtle but could be heard ......B'Jesus l did not want to write that and one in a custom made Furutech mains cable- this cable sounds superb, however how much this improves sound l do not know as l cannot be a---d to pull it out and swap fuses.

All opinions are formed in my room and system. :ninja:

Reactions: m7rso

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I understand wanting to restrict replies to those who may have actually tried fuse upgrades but asking for a biased sample of only wanting to hear from those who found a benefit makes no sense to me.

(I would not personally spend any money on an 'audiophile' fuse as there is no mechanism whatsoever that I can see for an impact on sound quality.)

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay, thank the Lordie you are a bunch of T#@-s. Laughed through the comments I have to say. I trust my earholes after following a shall we say, science based forum, and their results generally not confirmed by my own lowly lugholes. I will give some fuses a go, but wanted pointing in the right direction. If I swap a couple out, either I will hear a difference or I will not and I can move on. I ask for positives because i can find negatives everywhere from people who have not tried em out, or tried and found a worsening of their system. At the moment I am agnostic but want to be shown that they work by people who believe in them..hence I want positive findings. or we could always revert to duelling at dawn me lovelies

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use Bussmann fuses in all my 13 amp plugs often removing the original fuse even with BS 1362 printed on them recently I found with a batch of 13 amp plugs the fuse end caps were pushed over the end of a ceramic tube trapping an inner wire at each end. Safety was my primary concern.

I have also replaced all of the lower value glass fuses in my equipment with BS 1363 ceramic sand filled fuses of identical electrical value including Littlefuse in the 20mm & 32mm. This has been done at a time when other refinements were being made if they fuses were not the improvements I think they were not detrimental & I hope safer.

An interesting article https://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/fake-fuses.php certainly food for thought

Last edited:

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay, thank the Lordie you are a bunch of T#@-s. Laughed through the comments I have to say. I trust my earholes after following a shall we say, science based forum, and their results generally not confirmed by my own lowly lugholes. I will give some fuses a go, but wanted pointing in the right direction. If I swap a couple out, either I will hear a difference or I will not and I can move on. I ask for positives because i can find negatives everywhere from people who have not tried em out, or tried and found a worsening of their system. At the moment I am agnostic but want to be shown that they work by people who believe in them..hence I want positive findings. or we could always revert to duelling at dawn me lovelies
Nick Fourlegs did a thread about this subject and he tried some very expensive fuses (£500?) As he is no longer a member I am not sure if you will find his thread or not. He was a serious minder person and was always objective. I think that he said that he didn’t hear any difference but I am not sure.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I will give some fuses a go, but wanted pointing in the right direction.
I think that most replies here are in fact pointing you in the right direction! Maybe you need to read between the lines.
If I swap a couple out, either I will hear a difference or I will not and I can move on
The problem is that, once you've spent a ton of dosh on "audiophile" stuff that really (if you did physics at school) can't make a scrap of difference, you have to psychologically convince yourself that your investment wasn't in fact a total waste. This is the whole ethos of those trying to get us to spend good money on worthless but expensive experiments. End result – you get poorer while they get richer!

Sorry you’ve had so many non-positive replies, but good luck anyway and I'm sure we'd like to learn of your listening test results.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
  • Thanks
Reactions: DomT and m7rso

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members