Fuses. Anyone who has tried upgrades please.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Then if you find that your fuse makes a "wow" difference then imagine the improvements when you re-wire your whole amp with the same wire used in the fuse!
Don't you know a chain is only as good as the weakest point. So imagine what happens to all those itty bitty electrons trying to squeeze themselves through a thin wire designed to blow at the slightest surge of energy. The best solution must surely be to remove each fuse and solder in a short length of audiophile power cable, job done.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am agnostic but want to be shown that they work by people who believe in them..hence I want positive findings.
I'm not big on blind testing and all that jazz, but I do think first impressions can be driven by pre conceived notions of what is better, so if you adopt this approach I suspect you are more likely to hear an improvement even if there is none.

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I kind of agree with @MartinC first post.

But I haven't tried one and I will be nice.

Where I diverge from Martin is that I can see a possible way they could work. All mains cabling is typically sheathed which has an effect on how far EM radiatiation emanates. A Google search for scientific studies on the effect of different dielectrics and their respective permittivity and how that influences radiated EM might get some on my line of thinking.

In short, you have a bare wire with significant voltage, and sometimes significant current, that has no dielectric and may radiate EM to nearby circuitry.

If that's the case, some of these fancier fuses where the wire has something around it, may limit the range EM radiates more in line with the rest of the power cable.

So there's a possibility of them working, but I really cannot abide the prices.

I can think of cheaper ways to DIY a solution, but not going to say in case somebody tries and electocutes themself or damages their kit.

Besides, if I found something DIY that worked nicely, I'd commercialize it given it seems to have a following and the profit margins are stellar.

Last edited:
Reactions: m7rso

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was sent some Bussman fuses to try out and tried them in my CD/preamp/power amp with an explanation that due to the thermal cycling of the cheap fuses, the Bussman would avoid that problem as they are better made to tighter specifications.

I heard no audio difference, they may still be in circuit as I could not be bothered to remove them. But you may have different results in your system. Or maybe I need to get the beeswax special fuses? Or maybe just listen to music.

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had already gone over Nick Fourlegs thread ..but there is no way on planet earth that I would be putting £500 fuses into my equipment. I have replaced two blown fuses in the last 18 months. I would rather spend £1000 on cigarettes and whisky even though I partake of neither.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had already gone over Nick Fourlegs thread ..but there is no way on planet earth that I would be putting £500 fuses into my equipment. I have replaced two blown fuses in the last 18 months. I would rather spend £1000 on cigarettes and whisky even though I partake of neither.
Have you established and fixed the cause of the blown fuses?

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll swap you them for a couple of Bussman fuses.

Minicoupeman

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2015
Sittingbourne
AKA
Andy Andrews
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To get back to the question. Yes I have tried posh fuses. A couple brought at a show and a couple of Russ Andrews fuses. Did they make a difference ? Yes. Are they worth the money? No. Marginal difference.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nick Fourlegs did a thread about this subject and he tried some very expensive fuses (£500?) As he is no longer a member I am not sure if you will find his thread or not. He was a serious minder person and was always objective. I think that he said that he didn’t hear any difference but I am not sure.
I never realised he is no longer a member. That is sad Fourlegs was a great subscriber and if you had the pleasure of visiting his pad, a great system and great ears. Why is he gone? I feel a tad sad now.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some bloke on facebook had gone to the length of building circuit breakers to replace all his fews and of course was waxing lyrical. He did agree though that unless he had an amp in its original condition to AB compare there was no guarantee any improvement he heard was real but still maintained it sounded better. The brain is a funny old thing

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I never realised he is no longer a member. That is sad Fourlegs was a great subscriber and if you had the pleasure of visiting his pad, a great system and great ears. Why is he gone? I feel a tad sad now.
He was banned, so not a subject for further discussion.

• Wow
Reactions: uzzy and JANDL100

Dogwithnotail

Underperforming idiot
Wammer Plus
Apr 10, 2022
Warwickshire
AKA
Ash
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Foo or physics, if you change the fuses and it increases your enjoyment of the music then that’s good.

There are a wide range of theories on how this might be and as such proffer much debate.

I guess if one perceives there is an improvement then there is one.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Foo or physics, if you change the fuses and it increases your enjoyment of the music then that’s good.

There are a wide range of theories on how this might be and as such proffer much debate.

I guess if one perceives there is an improvement then there is one.
So true, if you have to measure it to believe it on here it might as well be ASR.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Flash has gone as well, don't think he was banned though.

• Sad
Reactions: uzzy and DomT

Gray

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 24, 2019
Someone once said they tried and didn't think a £200 fuse made a worthwhile difference....
but thought that the £4,200 one could be a different story.
(Now there was some positivity).

• Wow
Reactions: Strider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.