Gale 401A

davee37

New Wammer
May 5, 2021
I have rediscovered a pair of Original Gale 401A's in my loft while preparing to move, obviously after all these years the driver surrounds are in a sorry state and generally they need a full overhaul, I was wondering if there is still an interest in refurbishing these classic and hugely heavy speakers.

Reactions: Tony_J

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have rediscovered a pair of Original Gale 401A's in my loft while preparing to move, obviously after all these years the driver surrounds are in a sorry state and generally they need a full overhaul, I was wondering if there is still an interest in refurbishing these classic and hugely heavy speakers.
Having seen/heard a refurbished pair at the Wam show a couple of weeks ago, I would think there would be interest. Are you planning to refurb them yourself or move them on? If the latter, my guess is they would be snapped up.

davee37

New Wammer
May 5, 2021
Having seen/heard a refurbished pair at the Wam show a couple of weeks ago, I would think there would be interest. Are you planning to refurb them yourself or move them on? If the latter, my guess is they would be snapped up.
No, I would only refurbish them if i was intending to keep them. Got too much stuff from those days to hang on to. Just curious to ask if there would be any interest from anyone who wanted a project. Cracking speakers when seriously driven.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m sure there would be a great deal of interest in refurbishing these. I’d definitely be up for it if I wasn’t gradually disappearing under a massive ‘to-do’ pile of speaker refurbishments!

Are they the chrome-ended version?

davee37

New Wammer
May 5, 2021
I’m sure there would be a great deal of interest in refurbishing these. I’d definitely be up for it if I wasn’t gradually disappearing under a massive ‘to-do’ pile of speaker refurbishments!

Are they the chrome-ended version?
Yup, they have the chrome ends

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No, I would only refurbish them if i was intending to keep them. Got too much stuff from those days to hang on to. Just curious to ask if there would be any interest from anyone who wanted a project. Cracking speakers when seriously driven.
Where are you based? I could be tempted myself, but collecting them would be an issue as I am on the Isle of Mull 🤔

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I refurbished a pair that was in a really poor state .. getting the surrounds done yourself isn’t too great an expense and there are several companies who supply the foam surrounds
Alternatively you could do as I did and look for speakers that use the same drivers for cheap as chips prices .. j do have quite a few spares
If your chrome ends require re plating that’s when it becomes expensive .. your looking at between £70 and £120 per end depending on quality ..
If you do decide to refurbish take care taking the ends off as they are stuck on with a blue mastic .. patience is required tapping with a mallet and piece of wood working around the rim till it becomes free ..
Are they worth it
“ABSOLUTELY “ if you intend to keep them
They are a wonderful sounding dynamic speaker and many at the show couldn’t believe mine were 50 years old .. you do need a decent amp ,, minimum 50 watt but the bigger the better . They also need the original stands or at least a modern copy ..THEY NOT NOT WORK ON ANYTHING ELSE , both for SQ and looks

Attachments

• C66659C2-8806-4C8E-BB88-00B9A012A786.jpeg
    C66659C2-8806-4C8E-BB88-00B9A012A786.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 7

davee37

New Wammer
May 5, 2021
Ooh seeing that picture is so tempting.
I know how the chrome caps are removed, I took them to Gale's factory in Mayfair for something to do with the crossovers and as you say they whacked the tops off with a piece of wood and a mallet then replaced with a piece of foam with a blob of evo-stick both sides and pushed the cap back down. Voila. Ira Gale was there and slyly commented how sophisticated the process was!

• Wow
Reactions: Nopiano and Tony_J

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very little interest in them these days I'm afraid. If you PM me your contact details I can arrange a free disposal for you if it helps.

• Haha
Reactions: Tony_J and Nopiano

davee37

New Wammer
May 5, 2021
I was just peeping over the parapet.
However If it comes to it i'll post them in the classifieds. (Once i eventually get over 30 posts....)

THOMO

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 10, 2010
Western Australia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am restoring a pair at the moment.All the capacitors bar one had drifted off value so I am replacing them all .That need not be expensive however.The Dayton metalized polyproplene are good and not expensive.The 80uF and 60uF electrolytic caps are being replaced with modern eloctrolytic equivalents .
They are wonderful sounding things when properly refurbished .

Reactions: bigrod

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am restoring a pair at the moment.All the capacitors bar one had drifted off value so I am replacing them all .That need not be expensive however.The Dayton metalized polyproplene are good and not expensive.The 80uF and 60uF electrolytic caps are being replaced with modern eloctrolytic equivalents .
They are wonderful sounding things when properly refurbished .
Post some pics when you have completed the restoration..
Do you have the original stands ??
Kindest regards Julian

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online