Wammer
Wammer
May 3, 2013
oooh arrrrrr
AKA
Mnky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think this is all getting a bit silly now ... I think it was daft when they were up around £800 ..

TECUMSEH VALLEY

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2010
NORFOLK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
An inevitable consequence of the vintage hi-fi hobby being overrun by those with very little interest in the equipment per se but a great interest in the potentially large, quick and easy profits that can be made nowadays on the internet. A decade ago, £200 would buy you a very decent example of a 301. C'est la vie !

Clearly, genuine private sellers seeing these prices would be reluctant to 'undersell' their own vintage gear so they list at commensurately high prices and who can blame them. And on and on the market-making goes.....

AGrail

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 15, 2009
Devon
At any one time there are 10+ 301's on eBay. The value issue is not one of supply but rather demand. Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea have traditionally been the hotbeds of interest for 301's // Tannoys // etc etc. The 'New' Markets of Russia and China have driven prices further, I can say this is also true of Classical Vinyl sales in our experience.

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Even at £1k, what else is out there that will give the same enjoyment? A 401 will, but buying vintage isn't just about what it sounds like. Looks (and smell with Garrards ) is all part of the ownership deal, although I see it as stewardship, they'll outlast me !

stickman

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Phil
Spend a bit of time having a look around to see what the next big thing is gonna be in vintage hifi. As referenced in another thread, AudioScope.net has some lovely kit, but at staggering prices.

I bought my Pioneer SA-9500 for £100, they're selling for EUR1299; I bought my Mitsubishi DA-F20 for EUR100, they're selling for EUR999. I bought an Optonica ST-3636 for £15 and sold for £50, they're selling for EUR599.

As mentioned earlier, timing is the key.

stickman

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Phil
Phil, they're asking those prices, not selling for them.
Sorry, not sure I understand; I was trying to explain the difference in the price you could pay 4-5 years ago, compared to the price you pay now. I was simply trying to say that with "vintage hifi" its all about spotting the next big thing and buying before the prices get silly. But, its an obvious point to make.

I've just bought an Aiwa AP2600 direct-drive turntable off eBay for £125; I think its ace. I don't regret selling my VPI Scout and trousering the £650 difference in the sale price for it and my new "budget" deck. There is still some good stuff out there.

I do however, seriously regret not buying an E202 when they were peanuts.

old_school

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2011
London
AKA
Jay
The thing is, those prices (Audioscope) in particular are insanely out of market. If you want to see realistic prices for vintage Japanese kit, have a look at HiFiDo. You have to take VAT, duty and shipping into account, but you'll see that the realistic price is often well less than what Audioscop posts. As well, take into account that posted asking price is not necessarily the actual selling price. If something sits for months at well above the going rate, it may sell for a more realistic price.

That said, Japanese DDs can be really good value, especially the ones that aren't "known."

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Phil, they're asking those prices, not selling for them.
Correct, that site is a joke, 749Euro for a Dual 505-3 which you can pick up for less than £60, the guy is a chancer and some idiots must buy off him otherwise he would have gone by now.

In answer to the chap who said what else is there for a grand, well actually lots and lots, far to many to name. The 301 is OK, but no more than OK, even when sorted with a nice plinth. If you buy a 301 for £1K, you will still probably need it serviced and a plinth/arm/cart, so probably £2K+ more. So what the question should be is what is there for £3K, and the answer is loads more better turntables IMHO. My Transrotor / Koetsu cost a lot less than that, as it my Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Koetsu Rosewood.

old_school

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2011
London
AKA
Jay
Correct, that site is a joke, 749Euro for a Dual 505-3 which you can pick up for less than £60, the guy is a chancer and some idiots must buy off him otherwise he would have gone by now.In answer to the chap who said what else is there for a grand, well actually lots and lots, far to many to name. The 301 is OK, but no more than OK, even when sorted with a nice plinth. If you buy a 301 for £1K, you will still probably need it serviced and a plinth/arm/cart, so probably £2K+ more. So what the question should be is what is there for £3K, and the answer is loads more better turntables IMHO. My Transrotor / Koetsu cost a lot less than that, as it my Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Koetsu Rosewood.
Adding arm and cart applies to anything, so what do you get for £1k? Knowing divedeepdog, that's an inclusive price: deck, servicing and plinth. Most 301s do not go for £1k on their own, and really, only the "collectable" hammertone ones or an AG full monty refurb generally bring down that sort of cash.

As to how good it is, that's a matter of personal taste I think. Some like 'em, a lot.

AGrail

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 15, 2009
Devon
As to how good it is, that's a matter of personal taste I think. Some like 'em, a lot.
True, the 301 and 401 continue to be appreciated by many for a myriad of reasons.

TECUMSEH VALLEY

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2010
NORFOLK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At any one time there are 10+ 301's on eBay. The value issue is not one of supply but rather demand. Japan, Hong Kong, South Korea have traditionally been the hotbeds of interest for 301's // Tannoys // etc etc. The 'New' Markets of Russia and China have driven prices further, I can say this is also true of Classical Vinyl sales in our experience.
Yes, the majority of the surviving 301s now reside abroad and it is fair to say that given current prices plus shipping etc. costs very few are likely to return to these shores.

However, the supply of original 301s is finite. It will be interesting to see what happens when the current 'party' comes to an end in a few years time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online