Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm trying to fit an 'hours operating' meter to my 401, having just bought a new cartridge. I would like to connect the meter such that switching the turntable on starts the hours meter. It's not obvious to me what all the wires do without taking the 401 out of the plinth and opening up all the connector blocks to trace the circuit.

I can't find anwhere a wiring diagram to shows what all the wires in the wiring loom do, so was hoping someone here might have one.

With thanks

S.

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Have you tried Matt?

Off topic, but what cartridge did you buy Serge?

AGrail

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 15, 2009
Devon
I can't find anwhere a wiring diagram to shows what all the wires in the wiring loom do, so was hoping someone here might have one.

S.
I've not got an electrical diagram unfortunately. The circuit is basic however unlike the 301 the switch block is a two point connector and a very tight squeeze.

Moko

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2007
London, England
If you do get this working could you please post how you managed it, as this is a great idea and I'm sure plenty of other Garrard users would be interested as well

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have you tried Matt?Off topic, but what cartridge did you buy Serge?
An Ortofon MC15 Super MkII. Virtually new (claimed <20 hours) off eBay. Stylus looked completely clean, not a trace of dust. Bought it as it has a fine line stylus, so similar to my other two cartridges.

S.

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
serge, I don't fancy taking mine out of the plinth to find out either, but I think you will have to in order to connect your hours run meter. As there isn't a transformer as far as I remember then the on /off switch will be 240v live out and pick the neutral if needed for your meter from the mains connection block.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
serge, I don't fancy taking mine out of the plinth to find out either, but I think you will have to in order to connect your hours run meter. As there isn't a transformer as far as I remember then the on /off switch will be 240v live out and pick the neutral if needed for your meter from the mains connection block.
You would think so wouldn't you! Unfortunately, the on-off switch seems to be multipole, and the voltage on the output goes from 240v when on to about 80v when off, just enough to keep the hours meter working, but not enough to be accurate. The voltage across the strobe light is 110v, again not enough for the meter to work accurately. That's why I'm looking for a wiring diagram, as I suspect the motor is used as a auto-transformer for the strobe light, and possibly the switch suppressors allow enough current through to keep the meter going. As I said, without taking it out of the plinth and dismantling the switch, I can't tell what's connected to what. Opening the switch cover reveals two suppressors, and I didn't want to go further in as the switch may not be in a form that lends itself to dismantling...images of springs flying across the room, to disappear behind furniture, never to be seen again.

My AEG and EMT turntables both have low voltage outputs for tally lamps which go high when the turntable is on, so they're ideal for running a low voltage hours meter from. Sadly the 401 doesn't have any such convenience, so I bought a 240v hours meter expecting simply to attach it across the motor, but the "motor" has more wires going to it than is good for any motor to have, hence my wish for a circuit diagram that will tell me which wires carry what.

S.

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I usually leave the platter spinning even when changing discs so an hours run meter for the cart wouldn't be accurate in my case. Can you not just put a supply on your meter when using the tt via a conveniently placed switch. If I had a spare 401 I would relish the challenge of finding the answer. It may be a case of using a lower voltage to switch 240v contacts on a relay

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I usually leave the platter spinning even when changing discs so an hours run meter for the cart wouldn't be accurate in my case. Can you not just put a supply on your meter when using the tt via a conveniently placed switch. If I had a spare 401 I would relish the challenge of finding the answer. It may be a case of using a lower voltage to switch 240v contacts on a relay
My other turntables have "turntable hours" rather than "stylus hours" but as those turntables are instant start, the two are almost the same, and the error is the right way, overindicating wear. With the 401, I switch it off between records as I usually run the Nagaoka cleaner over each side before playing, so in my case the error would also be small and again in the right direction.

In the absence of a circuit diagram, rather than dismantle the 401, I can fit a small mains switch next to the turntable and use that to switch on the counter. Far less convenient and more prone to being forgotten or left on, but workable.

I'm really surprised that after all this time, and with the popularity of the 401, there isn't a circuit diagram on-line, but so far all I've turned up is copies of the user manual which shows how to connect the mains, but nothing about how it's wired. If I do decide to derive the circuit myself, I'll post it somewhere like Vinylengine for others to access.

S

AGrail

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 15, 2009
Devon
I'm really surprised that after all this time, and with the popularity of the 401, there isn't a circuit diagram on-line, but so far all I've turned up is copies of the user manual which shows how to connect the mains, but nothing about how it's wired. If I do decide to derive the circuit myself, I'll post it somewhere like Vinylengine for others to access.

S
Due to the variety of changes to the 401 over the years of production (Push button, twin spark, strobe arrangements etc) it is difficult to have a one diagram fits all solution in terms of the circuit sadly

paulf-2007

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2008
souf east for work
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
now that's a poor excuse and no defence really. As someone who renovates 401's I would have thought it most important to have wiring diagrams or is just the bling finish that matters.

Due to the variety of changes to the 401 over the years of production (Push button, twin spark, strobe arrangements etc) it is difficult to have a one diagram fits all solution in terms of the circuit sadly

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
now that's a poor excuse and no defence really. As someone who renovates 401's I would have thought it most important to have wiring diagrams or is just the bling finish that matters.
Ooh, should have put a smiley in there! :clout:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oindnsh3