Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He has posted that ad (and failed to sell) a few times now.

At least this time he has made it an auction

mnky

Wammer
Wammer
May 3, 2013
oooh arrrrrr
AKA
Mnky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wouldn't it be better to buy a spot on 301 from AG then get Bob to do a Plinth ...? I can't see where the 501 fits into the whole scheme of things TBH .... they don't look too good IMHO ....

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you read the prose, is it actually a Garrard? It looks like a Loricraft interpretation of what a Garrard should be after the 401? Am I wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't it be better to buy a spot on 301 from AG then get Bob to do a Plinth ...? I can't see where the 501 fits into the whole scheme of things TBH .... they don't look too good IMHO ....
Spot on :^

pmac

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 19, 2005
Technically as Loricraft at the time owned the rights to the Garrard name, then it may be a Garrard, but not an original Garrard if you see what I mean. Interesting.
Yeah, name only.

The guy was trying to flog it on here not long ago IIRC

photowizz

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 18, 2010
Windsor
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unhappy memories......I bought some great gear 5 years ago from a lady in East London. Father had gone to the great hifi god in the sky. Loads of vinyl around, SME V arm lead on the shelf but no t/t. She had given it to a friend who had always liked her father's 501....

mnky

Wammer
Wammer
May 3, 2013
oooh arrrrrr
AKA
Mnky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
it has the Garrard name ...... but none of the looks ...quirkiness .... age .... might be an outstanding bit of kit ... but it should have just been called a "Trevor" or something. Then it would stand to be judged against it's modern peers.

A bit contentious this ... but why do some folk say they love the 301 ..401 .. then completely re engineer all of the Garrard out of them. Why not just build a completely new deck and call it a "Trevor" ...

Don't ask me if my 301 sounds any better than a LP12 ... I have cloth ears ... :dunno: I think it sounds "nice" and it smells like the inside of a Shackleton when it's been on a bit. Anyway I've never listened to it next to an LP12 ... that's why I will be going to Scalford to get Edukaited .....

old_school

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 8, 2011
London
AKA
Jay
Is it overpriced? I don't know, but list is £14,000 (ex-VAT) for a new one. If you think any TT is worth five-plus grand, there's no reason to think this one wouldn't be worth it.

SCIDB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
, ,
Unhappy memories......I bought some great gear 5 years ago from a lady in East London. Father had gone to the great hifi god in the sky. Loads of vinyl around, SME V arm lead on the shelf but no t/t. She had given it to a friend who had always liked her father's 501....
Hi,

The Garrard 501 is nearly £17,000 to buy new.

SCIDB

Tune

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2006
Maidenhead, , United
AKA
Michael
It's the Garrard equivalent of the Technics SP10Mk3 and comfortably the best Garrard TT you are ever likely to hear.

But if you want to own an old anachronism and fiddle with it until the cows come home it's probably not for you.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have to say I'm genuinely surprised at the 'meh' attitude to this deck, along with the suggestions that its nothing special and a re-hash of an old clunker.

As some have said, it was Terry's interpretation of how Garrard might have improved on the 401 had they come up with a replacement and I reasonably think he's done a stunning job. Maybe it's styling isn't exactly space-age but its internal engineering is magnificent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online