Gasket between drivers and cabinet - what to use?

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The gaskets on my cabinets are in need of replacing so just wondering what best to use.

I was thinking perhaps of using silicone sealant, letting it set, then fixing the drivers in place - so they are sealed but not stuck into the sealant if that makes sense?

Any other ideas?

karlinamillion

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2007
Londinium
AKA
Karl
gasket paper is quite thick & squigy, I've used it in water pumps, thermostat elbows all sorts, never leaks. I've also used cornflake packets for gaskets on the base of the cylinders on a Harley side valve. Never leaks.

You could add a thin smear of blue hylomar (non setting sealent) to both sides

Funkpig

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 19, 2013
Oakham
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You could go the Audio Note route and use Blu Tac, just don't ever expect to get the speakers out again.... :minikev:

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I agree with the foam strip. I have just replaced some B200 Drivers in a pair of Kef speakers, as the NOS speakers came with draught excluder type strip and was still sticky after all these years.

You could also use the Rega method and glue the drivers in. I use no-nails wood glue to good effect.

If the drivers go into a shallow rebate on the baffle the glue maybe better, however if the drivers sit on the baffle or have a deep rebate then foam maybe better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OpenSea_0