Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can’t see a Genelec owners thread so here we go…

I’m a very recent convert to actives, dipped my toe in with a pair of Genelec 8020 and I liked them so much I moved straight to the 8040. After valves for years the actives are a simple joy and for me Genelec’s punch way above their price.

Any other Genelec owners out there? (I have this feeling not many on the Wam).

I’m fascinated to hear if anyone has heard or owns a set of the Ones series.

Cheers

2112752A-74FA-4C96-8F8F-4581D7D6B29A.jpeg

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
^^^^ They really are. I picked these up second hand and I’m shocked at how good the quality of materials and build is for the price. They’re like audio tanks, solid aluminium cases. It’s a little tricky to get right but I love all the options to fiddle with setting on the rear of each speaker.

Dogwithnotail

Underperforming idiot
Wammer Plus
Apr 10, 2022
Warwickshire
AKA
Ash
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We’ve been using a pair 1029A’s (precursor to 8020) at work for nearly 20 years. They have never missed a beat.

During lockdown I bought a pair on eBay for use in my home office. They truly are special speakers - brilliant in a small room / near field use.

We have some of their larger models at work and a subwoofer the size of a washing machine - that moves some air!

Reactions: Turn it up!

MKLS

New Wammer
Sep 14, 2022
Brighton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently aquired a pair of 8330a's with the GLM (dsp) calibration kit. Haven't had too much time to get used to them but first impressions are very promising.

The first thing that really struck me was the incredible sense of depth, they really seem to go far far back behind the speakers and this gives different sounds so much more room to breathe and interact. Phantom centre is also very strong, but this is less difficult to get right IMO.

The GLM kit makes a significant difference to the sound in my (untreated) living room. It's super simple to set up and the correction settings are stored in the speakers themselves, which gives the benefits of DSP without the need for extra boxes and wires. You just set it up (takes about 10 mins) and then store the kit away. Plus you can tweak the EQ settings, so although they have an extremely flat response by default you can program them to have a more coloured 'hifi' character according to taste.

Sir_Franc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 10, 2005
East Sussex
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
A few years ago I got to home demo a pair of 8260A's and a large Genelec sub. They were very impressive but sadly the asking price from the dealer was ridiculous. A quick search showed I could get all three new for the price he wanted!

Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A few years ago I got to home demo a pair of 8260A's and a large Genelec sub. They were very impressive but sadly the asking price from the dealer was ridiculous. A quick search showed I could get all three new for the price he wanted!
Sounds like he still wanted his top mark up for demo kit cheeky bugger🤬

Reactions: Sir_Franc

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have 8030C with RME predac (total cost new was £1650). The sound is much better ballanced than my previous Avi DM12s (£3000), plus now I also have top class heaphone amp, USB input and eq (which I don't need with Genelecs as they have built in eq switches).

Reactions: Turn it up!

Pressure

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Sheffield, , United
AKA
Paul
I have 8040s for AV and a bit of music, and 1031s in the 2 channel room / studio. Plus my wife uses my old 8020s.

in near field and with good treatment they are fabulous. I’ve been struggling a bit over the last couple of days to get the 8040s sounding good for music in the media room driven by a NAD t758 AVR. They’re getting there Even though the room doesn’t have much treatment. The latest wheeze was to use the built in EQ to drop the treble a bit. Sounded very nice last night…

PhilofCas

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2011
Yorkshire
AKA
Yep
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,

Just got some ‘8020D’s, very impressed!

I use them with a Chromecast audio, a Beresford DAC and stream Spotify.

This arrangement sounds really good, but it is not ideal regarding the volume control, which is in the Spotify connect app., where the volume range is at the bottom end, a small increase gives a large jump in volume level.

How do others use them for streaming services?

Thank you.

Reactions: MVJ

PhilofCas

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2011
Yorkshire
AKA
Yep
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Solved by putting my (Tisbury) passive pre in the chain, adjusted the volume control on this so that I had more travel on Spotify’s volume control, works a treat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online