Gert Pedersen modded Orbe SE

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Well I've been listening to this bit of kit for a while now and the end result is a massive shout out :^to Gert and his engineering.

Owners of the standard Orbe SE can expect massive improvements in fundamental areas if the full upgrade is employed, bass management is the Orbes major weakness in my opinion. The increased mass and damping of Gerts kit kick this problem into the weeds. The top end is also vastly improved and gives a naturalness to cymbals/high frequenciesI've never encountered. Everything is just resolved to a far greater degree. Its a big eye opener musically, for me anyways. If you have an Orbe or Gyro the best place to start is the armboard mod. The rest of the mods take the Orbe to a level onwhich you'd probably have to spend 5k plus to better in all areas. Its that good and I aint willy waving either, trust me!

Phil

KxF

E

earl of sodbury

Nice Result KxF
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
So-called tweaks really can give arse-kicking results!

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

Nice Result KxF
I dunno if I'd describe the total re-engineering of the Orbe as 'tweaks'
wink.png

sounds good, phil.

I'm not going to butcher mine until I've at least changed the AC plinth mounted motor for the DC free-standing one...

how much heavier is the Pedesen-Orbe than a standard un-modded one?

E

earl of sodbury

kennyk wrote:

earl of sodbury wrote:
Nice Result KxF
I dunno if I'd describe the total re-engineering of the Orbe as 'tweaks'
wink.png
hence why Iwrote "so-called"for the benefit of those who think everything this side of thumping their Alba clock-radio when it doesn't tune-in to "Classic FM" is voodoo...
wink.png

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
earl of sodbury wrote:

Nice Result KxF
Indeedy eofs, the deck has fully recovered from her cosmetic surgery and has new found confidence and freedom. She's the biz!

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
kennyk wrote:

sounds good, phil.
I'm not going to butcher mine until I've at least changed the AC plinth mounted motor for the DC free-standing one...

how much heavier is the Pedesen-Orbe than a standard un-modded one?
I've not actually weighed the thing but its a couple of kg's heavier I'd say. A mixture of dry sand, chemical metal padding and weightieracrylic bits see to its weight gain.

Its not very hard to do the work it just takes a bit of time to do it.
smile.png

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
So KxF, how much do you charge to do the conversion:)

KennyK, is the Orbe DC motor really that much better, especially at around £800 for the upgrade?

Testy

G

Testure wrote:

So KxF, how much do you charge to do the conversion:)KennyK, is the Orbe DC motor really that much better, especially at around £800 for the upgrade?

Testy
go direct to michell they will do that for less. not sure about the power dc supply, but the stand alone motor makes the deck much quieter.

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
rudolph hucker wrote:

Testure wrote:
So KxF, how much do you charge to do the conversion:)KennyK, is the Orbe DC motor really that much better, especially at around £800 for the upgrade?

Testy
go direct to michell they will do that for less. not sure about the power dc supply, but the stand alone motor makes the deck much quieter.
Rudy, I don't think Michell will do the Pedersen conversion:D. Relating to the motor upgrade, the orbe's Mk 1 AC motor is already standalone, and Michell quoted me around £800 for a new motor/housing and new powersupply just to do DC

Testy

G

Testure wrote:

rudolph hucker wrote:
Testure wrote:

Testy
Rudy, I don't think Michell will do the Pedersen conversion:D. Relating to the motor upgrade, the orbe's Mk 1 AC motor is already standalone, and Michell quoted me around £800 for a new motor/housing and new powersupply just to do DC

Testy
kenny k's is the older model with on board motor. talk to steve next time, and go there and wave cash at him

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Technically I've got a Gyrodec with Orbe Upgrade platter kit.

I don't know what all the differences between an Orbe and an Upgraded Gyro are. if anyone can tell me exactly what's different, I'd be grateful.

the differences I know about are:

• Motor (Orbe has tacho?)
  • Double Plinth

any others?

are the spring turretts the same length, for example?

I think the main upgrade is not going from AC to DC motor, rather getting the motor off the plinth and into a standalone housing. which with a full Gyro or Orbe involves getting the acrylic drilled out. sending back to Michell is costly in terms of postage...

G

kennyk wrote:

Technically I've got a Gyrodec with Orbe Upgrade platter kit.I don't know what all the differences between an Orbe and an Upgraded Gyro are. if anyone can tell me exactly what's different, I'd be grateful.

• Motor (Orbe has tacho?)
  • Double Plinth
any others?

I think the main upgrade is not going from AC to DC motor, rather getting the motor off the plinth and into a standalone housing. which with a full Gyro or Orbe involves getting the acrylic drilled out. sending back to Michell is costly in terms of postage...
do it though kenny i had your model gyro a few years back then bought the stand alone motor model and it is a lot better ( no hype either)

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
kennyk wrote:

Technically I've got a Gyrodec with Orbe Upgrade platter kit.I don't know what all the differences between an Orbe and an Upgraded Gyro are. if anyone can tell me exactly what's different, I'd be grateful.

• Motor (Orbe has tacho?) Correct
  • Double Plinth
any others?

If your Orbe upgrade kit included the putty for the "mickey mouse" subchassis, then the only other difference is the motor housing, was more heavily dampened in a heavy housing

I believe the spring turrents are the same length, they made an easier to adjust version when the SE versions came out.

Rudy for MK1 Orbe owners the AC to DC change is expensive:

I have an Orbe. Can I have the DC motor?

Yes you can, but it is expensive. You have to buy a complete new motor assembly, together with the Orbe Controller power supply. There is no trade-in against your old motor and QC controller. Try to sell it to a GyroDec owner.

Testy

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cheers testy.

I've got the damped subchassis, so all I need is an extra plinth and a DC Orbe Motor and I'd have a full Orbe then?
smile.png

the reason that the Orbe DC upgrade is so expensive, I think is the Never-Connected PSU, which is around £300, I think. would Michell supply you a basic PSU as a stepping stone do you think?

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
kennyk wrote:

cheers testy.I've got the damped subchassis, so all I need is an extra plinth and a DC Orbe Motor and I'd have a full Orbe then?
smile.png

the reason that the Orbe DC upgrade is so expensive, I think is the Never-Connected PSU, which is around £300, I think. would Michell supply you a basic PSU as a stepping stone do you think?
I believe so, but Michell will be the ones to agree 100%. I think the extra plinth is around £100, and the newer suspension posts are under £50.

I'm not planning on changing to the DC, but that may be an option if I change my mind
smile.png

Testy

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I replaced the suspension turrets about a year ago. I got the Orbe kit, and with the saving I made by asking for a 'seconds quality' platter I was able to get the turretts as well for the same price as a normal Orbe platter kit. the seconds quality platter has a very slight mark on the platter circumference that you would never see unless you were looking for it.

I'll need to see about getting a second plinth (if Michell will supply) at some point and then I'll need to save up for the DC Orbe motor. failing that, I'll have to slum it with a Gyro Motor
wink.png

G

kennyk wrote:

I replaced the suspension turrets about a year ago. I got the Orbe kit, and with the saving I made by asking for a 'seconds quality' platter I was able to get the turretts as well for the same price as a normal Orbe platter kit. the seconds quality platter has a very slight mark on the platter circumference that you would never see unless you were looking for it.I'll need to see about getting a second plinth (if Michell will supply) at some point and then I'll need to save up for the DC Orbe motor. failing that, I'll have to slum it with a Gyro Motor
wink.png
my experience with power supplies i would say the dc motor would make no difference at all (except make michell richer) so stick with the basic supply and motor.

give them a call and tell them what you want. they take in ac motors as trade in's and sell them on. when i called them a few months back they were very keen to take the ac motor of me.

but i changed my mind as the lingo made no difference to the lp12 and the qc supply is no different to the cheapo transformer on the gyro, so i talked myself out of it.

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
the problem with the AC motor is that it derives its rotational speed from the frequency of the mains. the UK mains is seldom bang on 50Hz. it averages it over 12hrs, IIRC.

with a DC motor, you could easily rig up a battery powered PSU. :dude:that truly is Never Connected to the Mains supply :dude::dude::dude:

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Testure wrote:

So KxF, how much do you charge to do the conversion:)
Lol, I don't think I'd touch someone elses deck. If something went wrong I'd be well out of pocket although I'm very confident I could do it again no problem, but you never know...:Not Sure:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles