Gert Pedersen Orbe finished...

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Just finished this afternoon thank God. There are a few ropy quality pics via the link in my signature as I had to use my mobile.

It was quitemessy, silicone and sand do not go hand in hand and the intructions do warn you before you get going that it can be messy. I resprayed the chassis in matt white and it looks rather nice IMO.

The whole turntables weights a hell of a lot more than it did and there is no audible ringing in the chassis anymore. The suspension system is great, very easy to adjust and set up and is very rigid. It only allows vertical movements and doesn't wobble like it used to with thespring turrets.

I've topped it all off with some super slippery bearing oil from Audio Origami. You set the platter spinning and its still going five minutes later!!

I've yet to mount upa cart but I feel its going tobe much different to the standard Orbe....

Phil

KxF

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
This all sounds very promising - can't wait hear what you think with a cart. What WERE you thinking when you did the white paint thing though :Not Sure:
wink.png
??

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Haha, well I love it. Who else has a white Orbe? The pictures don't do it justice asthere is a lot of glare. It looks much better face to face:cool:

Phil

snapper

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
, ,
Looks awesome.

Better than black IMHO.

I've got some white Dulux,wonder if my LP12 would suit it?
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
kingsxfan wrote:

Haha, well I love it. Who else has a white Orbe? The pictures don't do it justice asthere is a lot of glare. It looks much better face to face:cool:Phil
No one I should think ... but probably for good reason
smile.png

We'll have to take your word for it. I saw an all white Spacedeck once - it looked like a giant extra strong mint.

Lawrie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
kingsxfan wrote:

Just finished this afternoon thank God. There are a few ropy quality pics via the link in my signature as I had to use my mobile.It was quitemessy, silicone and sand do not go hand in hand and the intructions do warn you before you get going that it can be messy. I resprayed the chassis in matt white and it looks rather nice IMO.

The whole turntables weights a hell of a lot more than it did and there is no audible ringing in the chassis anymore. The suspension system is great, very easy to adjust and set up and is very rigid. It only allows vertical movements and doesn't wobble like it used to with thespring turrets.

KxF
Kingsxfan,

Well done, man! It would have been great to see start to finish pics but hey, you couldn't help that without a digi camera.:)Anyway, once the deck has settled in (it will take a few days), dopostyour verdict. Tip from my friendwho is familiar with the Perderson decks, keep the platter spinning non-stop for the next day or two as it also allows the deck to settle-in then post your opinions on its sound if you can.

P.S. I admire your bravery in subjecting your deck to such butchery considering you had not even seen (in the flesh) nor heard a finished example before. Respect!
biggrin.png

Enjoy the musicâ„¢

Lawrie:D

kennyk

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
looksreally nice.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

now go and put a cart on it and tell us how it sounds!!!!
biggrin.png

G

your deck looks stunning, your photography is shit? Glad it's doing it for ya.

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
I'll be sure to get back to you all and let you know how I get on.

Lawrie, it was never really a tough choice when it came to the butchery part. The worst that could happen was that I'd end up having to buy a new chassis if I cocked it up completely. I'd heard so much positive feedback about the armboard mod alone I thought the risk would be worth it. Gert states that I will notice definate improvements, bass responseextended and stop starts on a dime. The top end is also aparently extended and everything just becomes more focused. We'll see.........

I have taken your advice and set the platter spinning, I'll leave it that way for a couple of days and then get back to it for a serious music fest!

Phil

KxF

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
rudolph hucker wrote:

now u need an sme v to top it all off.
22.gif.36c040d5abb2096c10af791e63c73da8.gif
42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif
Don't underestimate the power of the Tecnoarm 'a' Rudi :force:. It's bloody good for the money
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Phil

KxF

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Nice bit of work, looks impressive:cool:. What was the most fiddle/difficult bit to do?

Looking forward to read what impact it has on the music

Cheers

Testy

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Testure wrote:

Nice bit of work, looks impressive:cool:. What was the most fiddle/difficult bit to do?Looking forward to read what impact it has on the music

Cheers

Testy
Fitting the underside sheet of acrylic and bonding it, and filing the three bits of acrylic to fit in the gaps in the chassis was a fiddle, centering the bearing reinforcement was a bit of a pig. I got it a few mils out but Gert has not said this is anything to worry about. And then filling with sand....beeatch job!!

Phil

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
kingsxfan wrote:

Testure wrote:
Nice bit of work, looks impressive:cool:. What was the most fiddle/difficult bit to do?Looking forward to read what impact it has on the music

Cheers

Testy
Fitting the underside sheet of acrylic and bonding it, and filing the three bits of acrylic to fit in the gaps in the chassis was a fiddle, centering the bearing reinforcement was a bit of a pig. I got it a few mils out but Gert has not said this is anything to worry about. And then filling with sand....beeatch job!!

Phil
So would you say it's probably better to get Gert to do it and pay extra, if you have no experience in modifications, i.e.drilling etc.

Testy

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Testure wrote:

kingsxfan wrote:
Testure wrote:

Cheers

Testy

Phil
So would you say it's probably better to get Gert to do it and pay extra, if you have no experience in modifications, i.e.drilling etc.

Testy
I'd do it yourself and save the money. I could have filled the holes with chemical metal, waited for it to cure, then drilled again for the sake of a few MM, but Gert didn't say it was much of an issue, so long as the bearing clamp is in place is all that matters.Plus you have the pride of doing it yourself!!

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So how does the Pedrsen Orbe sound?

Forgive me if I missed it, but we don't appear to have a review of how the modified TT sounds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles