Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Calling all wammers, TT help needed.

Spent 2013 putting together a very nice system bought entirely from the wam (cheers fellas!) Now of course I should be sitting back and enjoying the sonic delights but I've got that stereophonic itch, so what next? Yes, it can only be vinyl. At present I have the total sum of zero records (lost over 1000 albums in a flood a few years back but shed no tears, they were mostly crap 80's pressings of Tangerine dream on about 1gram vinyl) and really have not a clue on anything to do with TT's but I feel that charity shop vinyl calling. So what to do. Of course it's no good just buying a cheap deck I feel I need to throw myself into this shellac world full thrust. My question to you knowledgable wammers is do I do it?!

So far I've got my eyes on a Kuzma Stabi and stogi, whats the thought on this TT and any other ones I should look at with similar spec. Any advice on Carts or phono stages would be very helpful as well. I like the look of the Icon audio Phone stage but carts are a real mystery to me.

Ta!

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Stabi is a nice deck - good for your shortlist. What's your budget?
I'll be looking for everything second hand and I think the Stabi with stogi arm (open to other arm ideas) goes for around £1200 so about that. Need to leave enough for a phono stage and cart. So far all of my kit is UK in origin so going Slovenian is a little different. Any good UK TT suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the advice / thread link so far. I've seen a few people mention the technics 1210 / SME combination.

Any other suggestions?

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago and bought a Stabi/Stogi.

roob

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 22, 2009
stoke-on-trent, ,
AKA
andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was in the same boat and would think very hard about it if starting from scratch.

It costs a lot of money imho to get decent sound from a tt setup compared to digital, lots of used vinyl is very iffy, new discs cost 3 or 4 times the price of the equivalent cd and can still be faulty.

I reckon I listen to digital 80% of the time as there is so much more music available in that format.

guypettigrew

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 23, 2010
Horley, Surrey, UK
I was in the same boat and would think very hard about it if starting from scratch.It costs a lot of money imho to get decent sound from a tt setup compared to digital, lots of used vinyl is very iffy, new discs cost 3 or 4 times the price of the equivalent cd and can still be faulty.

I reckon I listen to digital 80% of the time as there is so much more music available in that format.
Really, what do you listen to? I only buy new vinyl and barely have time to listen to what I buy, which is about 15 albums a month.

Guy

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was in the same boat and would think very hard about it if starting from scratch.It costs a lot of money imho to get decent sound from a tt setup compared to digital, lots of used vinyl is very iffy, new discs cost 3 or 4 times the price of the equivalent cd and can still be faulty.

Fair comment and to be honest I'm not planning on losing my CD player anytime soon. I can see already a TT and everything it requires can be a very expensive journey and I really will be starting from scratch but I'm I no hurry and I'm just not feeling the need to explore any further in digital. I see you've kept your TT and for the remaining 20% of the time you use it do you find you enjoy it?

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
The Kuzma is a very fine combo that responds well to cartridge upgrades. I changed mine because I fancied a bit more bling.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have had a Kuzma for a few years now, I see you are in South London so Brighton isn't that difficult a journey, if you fancy a visit let me know.

A

Alex A

I recently renewed my vinyl front end having previously expected to move exclusively to digital. I wanted a small footprint, no nonsense, high quality, good value deck/arm that could genuinely contend with the best digital front ends and hopefully do the job for many years to come (i.e. allow me to realise the benefits of future cartridge upgrades). I settled on an Avid Ingenium fitted with a used SME V. Not dissimilar to the Kuzma in terms of cost or form. I couldn't say how it compares, but I'd certainly recommend that you consider the Avid with an arm of your choice (the SME hardly needs endorsement, but there are many options). It's good enough for me to justify the cost of buying new vinyl, and it gets very regular use 4-5 months down the line.

diplomat2.6

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 11, 2012
Northants
AKA
Peter
I've had a turntable since I was 9 and am now on my 4th TT - Music Centre, Dual CS505, Pink Triangle LPT, then the Gyrorbe. I'm not sure what I'd suggest here. I love the fact that when I bought Buddy Holly's greatest hits in 1982, it has my 9 year old finger prints on it. Well, it doesn't as I thought they were more precious than gold even then. That said, the price of vinyl is criminal these days. Better value than a concert , mind.

I went for the Gyro because the LPT had problems, otherwise I'd have it now. The Gyrorbe is a lot better but you soon get used to the differences. A non worn cartridge and decent phono stage make a huge difference. Is go for something you won't need to upgrade

roob

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 22, 2009
stoke-on-trent, ,
AKA
andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fair comment and to be honest I'm not planning on losing my CD player anytime soon. I can see already a TT and everything it requires can be a very expensive journey and I really will be starting from scratch but I'm I no hurry and I'm just not feeling the need to explore any further in digital. I see you've kept your TT and for the remaining 20% of the time you use it do you find you enjoy it?
I still enjoy the tt but I purchased it wearing rose tinted spectacles and it has cost me a fair wedge of money.

I sold my original Linn and vinyl in the 90's and went all cd then about 5yrs ago I purchased a cheaper deck and started buying used vinyl some of which were decent others were poor, I then got the Linn and steadily improved it over the last couple of years but computer replay is so convienient and the quality is excellent with decently mastered recordings and a good dac.

Knowing what I know now I don't think I would go that route again.

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers fellas, thanks for all the advice so far. To be honest I don't need a TT at this stage but its more a case of just wanting one and indulging in the journey and rediscovering the old joys of vinyl. Been round to few mates recently with decks and just had a lot of fun playing records again. With my set up which is very much tailored to a laid back, warm valve sound I think a TT would fit in real nice. I saw a very good looking Garrard is for sale on the Wam but would need an arm. Does look very nice though...

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Kuzma combination is superb at the price point.

Apart from the times when I have had no system, I have always had vinyl. Partly because that's what most of my collection consists of, and partly because, warts and all, I still think it gives more listening pleasure.

Cartridges are a minefield, but one you can find your way through. Really depends on budget. I would be tempted to suggest middling Ortofon or any of the serious alternatives. Shelter, Transfiguration, Dynavector come to mind, but only based on experience. However, you're going to need to budget for a sensible phono stage and if you really want to get the best from an MC cart, a step-up as well.

If you want to start more simply. An Audio Note IQ moving magnet needs only a reasonable phono and will give you a lot of bang per buck.

Frankly, it really depends on the total available spend. Personally, I'd go for lesxs on the turntable/arm and a bit more on the cart/phono.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles