Get Carter

iann

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Watched his classic last night and it is just great, slowish start then ultra violent near the end.

Check out this fan site for some good pics and lines. http://www.btinternet.com/~mark.dear/carterindex.htm

A great great British movie, one of Caine's best. Although he's made some turkeys for the money, he's still the best British film actor of his generation. And maybe since, can't think of anyone nearly as good in current crop.

Any mention of travesty remake should get you banned. Other than that one obviously.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
Sly Stallone is the MAN!
wink.png

Good Vibes

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Croydon, , United Ki
I refuse to even watch the Sly Stallone version, even heard they changed the ending!!!

Upon release the original was not well received by critics (negative violent message), but now well established as a British classic. I actually came to find out about this movie backwards on! Picked up the 70sRoy Budd LP on Pye in the late 80s with various movie tracks he'd composed, of which three tracks were from 'Get Carter'. The full soundtrack album only came out in Japan, and was going for as much as a £2000 in the mid 90s.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

This thankfully had a UK reissue about 4-5 years ago on Castle, along with other stuff by Budd like 70s robbery heist 'Diamonds' (also rare, even though released on a UK label).I thenmanaged to catch the movie on a late night weekendrun on BBC in the early 90s. I love the opening theme tune with tablas andharpsicord as he's going up to Newcastle, even incorporates the sound of the train trundling along...

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You're a big bloke, but you're out of shape. I do this for a living.

Coolest line in any film ever.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

G

hifiwigwam wrote:

Alf Roberts from Coronation Street i believe. Knew that dodgy ticker would catch him in the end.

177335.jpg

iann

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Duvet wrote:

hifiwigwam wrote:

According to fansite it should be

'Your a big man and your in bad shape, and for me it's a full time job. Now behave yourself'

Still a great bit where he chucks him off the car park thought.

Gateshead Car Park which was recently featured in C4 series Demolition and picked by the "public" as one of the worst buildings in Britain. But, like Kevin Mcleod, I quite like it. Classic 60s architecture.

It's even got its own fan page

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/owenluder/page6.htmlgoogle "gateshead car park" for more pics

iann

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Biscuit wrote:

has anybody seen the Stallone remake? I couldn't bring myself to gaze upon its glory either
wink.png
Nah, refused to. Likewise with Italian Job, might make exception for The Wicker Man...

Good Vibes

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Croydon, , United Ki
Maybe because these films are British classics, and we don't like them been exploited and messed about with by Hollywood just for a quick buck!!!

Easier to make a remake than come up with new and fresh ideas for a new film, and they always seem to mess with the original storylines. :Upset:

Have not, and have no intention of ever seeing the 'Italian Job' or 'Alfie' remakes...

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
iann wrote:

might make exception for The Wicker Man...
You are joking! They are re-making The Wicker Man?

There won't be any songs.
sad.png

The "hero" will escape at the end.
sad.png

It will be a load of
happens.gif.785a5c135e9ec27adf265d18872281b7.gif
:td:.

iann

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2005
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
meninblack wrote:

iann wrote:
might make exception for The Wicker Man...
You are joking! They are re-making The Wicker Man?

There won't be any songs.
sad.png

The "hero" will escape at the end.
sad.png

It will be a load of
happens.gif.785a5c135e9ec27adf265d18872281b7.gif
:td:.
Might not be shit. http://imdb.com/title/tt0450345/

Neil LaBute directing and screenplay by original writer Anthony Shaffer.

Nic Cage starring and it's in post production now. Should be out in US this year.

pics here http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/gallery/photodir.php?dir=699

mikedefacto

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Liverpool
AKA
Mike
Get Carter best film ever.

The Wicker Man very close second.

Not seen remake of Get Carter and refuse to. How can you remake Wicker Man?

auralflea

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 12, 2006
Black Country
AKA
Kevin
At the risk of severe vilification - yes I have watched the 're-make'.

Let me start by saying that the original remains one of my favourite movies bar none!!

TBH, soundtrack playing in background caught my interest first. Brought up to date by some of the usual remix/ dance suspects (Red Snapper, Moby, Oakenfold, etc) - I must say I do like the remix of Budd's theme tune (believe it or not - appreciate this probably sounds like heresy to true Jazz afficianados).

Movie itself - well, to start with it is a 'Sly' vehicle and btw Mr 'Alfie' Caine actually takes a part as well [although realise this itself is no recommendation given his sluttish approach to role selection
tongue.png
]. In general terms, has been updated for the modern era - lets face it, 8mm/ 16mm film stock would have looked extremely strange and required a 1/2 hour description to clarify for the modern American audience...

So, in context, not the original repeated that is for sure. However certainly better than those godawful Rambo atrocities. Probably on a par with his other more recent effots like Copland (i.e. maybe *** against the original's ***** + *)

If you enjoy general American releases, this is certainly easier to digest than a lot of other shite around (cetainly leaves the Nazi Governor in the dust !)

I await the strafing with interest...........

Kevin

PARAGON

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 5, 2005
Norn Iron
mikedefacto wrote:

Get Carter best film ever.The Wicker Man very close second.

Not seen remake of Get Carter and refuse to. How can you remake Wicker Man?
WHAT??? WHAT DID YOU SAY??? they really are not going to tarnish the rep of one of the most classic films of all time by having a bunch of hollywood homs chop it up...

The Wicker Man is an absolute gem, and I have the OST on it's way from play as you read this, worth watching just for the music..

"Corn Rigs and barley rigs

Corn rigs are bonny

I'll ne'eer forget that Lammas night

Amang the rigs wi' Annie."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online