Linn Owners

Getting used to Solo's, some impressions, and questions

piolinn

New Wammer
Jul 15, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I got hold of a pair of non-Dynamik Solo's, and love them a lot. I am still getting used to what they have to offer (taking it slowly, mostly passive listening) but a few things may be interesting to share here & I'd like to learn from other people's experiences with these mono amps.

First of all, I suppose "the best amp" does not exist, and I've found at least two implementations where I do not consider Solo's the best option: (1) on servo duties as a bass amp in my main system (Infinity IRS Gamma) where the Dynamik Twin is so much more fun (quicker, effortless) and (2) on the mid/high in that same system where a tube amp - apparently - feels much smoother, mostly because it is not trying to "fight" the speakers. These speakers where designed with tube amps in mind, and that's perfectly fine. They also have a quite horrible impedance curve, and if I'm not mistaken, a capacitative load as well.

I read elsewhere on this forum "Solo's will not drive everything" and I can confirm that is also what I found.

Another thing I learned, these Solo's came from a full aktiv 8x Solo Komri setup, and had been powered off for 8 months before I got them. They sounded quite unpleasant in the first 2-8 hours, as in: not joyful. The stereo image even drifted between L and R so there was definitely something going on there. This all settled.

I am quite used to the Twin now (6+ years) and would never have thought that such a big step up would be even possible. In my 2nd system, which is based on small (near field) speakers (Infinity Infinitesimal 0.1's), KDS/3, and KK/1/D, I would often switch between solid state and tube power amps. Mostly for fun, just to try different combinations. However now with the Solo's I feel no urge at all to make any changes. It appears a lot of the good stuff that I thought was exclusive to tube amps (3D), can indeed be had from a solid state amp as well. This is something I did not get out of the Twin.

One thing I am wondering about in particular, and which I am still unsure about, is whether or not these amps give me some extra 'goodness' after a certain amount of time / warming up, let's say after 30-40 minutes?

It could be just how my brain works and gets into the right flow. I could accept that. Let me try to explain what happens ... it's all very very good for the first 1/2 hour, but after a while it appears the music comes in even more 'effortless' and it becomes easier to 'understand' everything that is happening in terms of the soundstage. It's not like the soundstage changes, it doesn't get any bigger or deeper, it's just a lot easier to follow all that's going on.

I am happy to learn (from other people's experiences) if this is just my brain adjusting, or if this is a real thing (e.g. warming up of the electronics). Or could this be a sign that these Solo's would benefit from a re-cap, I just don't know?

Long story short: I love these Solo's.

Reactions: Ray Vardy

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had mine for a few years now. I'm not aware of any 'warming up', although I don't power them off unless we're not around for a few days - I leave them on standby.
They also have Dynamik from new, so maybe that's a reason I don't notice an improvement after they've been on a while. The only thing that threw me slightly when I first got them is the 'pop' from the 'speakers when they come out of standby! I know why they do it - there are two PSUs in each Solo, one to power the LED and the signal sensing circuitry, and the main one that runs the amplifier. It's this second PSU coming out of standby that causes the pop.
I initially ran them with a pair of Espeks, and now they drive pasive Akubariks. I've not tried the range of speakers you have, so can't say how they'd perform on anything other than the ones I've owned, but you'll hear no complaints from me!

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I purchased a (used) pair of Solos and Klimax Kontrol pre-amp (all Dynamiked) just over a year ago. I have not experimented with your range of speakers, nor have I experimented with standby / power off (I switch them off when not in use).

My biggest take-away is - I was distinctly underwhelmed at first. I found them thin, dry and unable to engage at anything like "normal" listening volumes. That was until I looked at the interconnects. Mine were supplied with Balanced XLR Silvers. As soon as I swapped these out for RCA Silvers my music returned.

Reactions: ThomasOK

Fitter Stoke

De de de DUUURRRR!
Wammer
Jan 24, 2019
North East England
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I purchased a (used) pair of Solos and Klimax Kontrol pre-amp (all Dynamiked) just over a year ago. I have not experimented with your range of speakers, nor have I experimented with standby / power off (I switch them off when not in use).

My biggest take-away is - I was distinctly underwhelmed at first. I found them thin, dry and unable to engage at anything like "normal" listening volumes. That was until I looked at the interconnects. Mine were supplied with Balanced XLR Silvers. As soon as I swapped these out for RCA Silvers my music returned.
I'm indebted to Chris of Hidden Systems who recommended that I swap balanced XLR Silvers with RCA Silvers between my KK and Solos. Like you, I noticed a surprisingly significant improvement in the musicality of my system afterwards - not that I was unhappy beforehand.

Fazioli

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2010
Nottingham
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm indebted to Chris of Hidden Systems who recommended that I swap balanced XLR Silvers with RCA Silvers between my KK and Solos. Like you, I noticed a surprisingly significant improvement in the musicality of my system afterwards - not that I was unhappy beforehand.
That's an interesting find as I experimented with the same standard factory-made Linn silver cables XLR vs RCA between a KK and Klimax Tuneboxes (then into Solos) many times over the years I owned these pieces and couldn't detect any change for better or worse whichever way I swapped. Maybe I have cloth-ears!

Last edited:

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I popped into my dealer the other day for coffee and cake (self supplied!) and chat and once again he tried to get me to upgrade my Silver RCA cables to something 'better'. He really doesn't like the silvers. One day I will take him up on the offer and take a loaner home.

kook

Wammer
New Wammer
Apr 17, 2013
Non dynamik solos here and find a few minutes enough for them to open up.

(Occasionally my system appears to sound thin and flat but put that down to mood, perhaps daytime electricity? or outside noise - never an issue in evenings and probably not the solos.)

Previosly had KCT which has speed and 'air' over solo - but would not go back. Both are brilliant. Can't have it all!

With organik dac - vast upgrade for solos if that makes sense. Solo feels very close to the source and really passes on the music. Way more fun / enjoyable.

I adjusted speaker positions with solo from twin. Way more bass energy with solo and easier to dial in the holography, image structure etc so worth spending some time on that.

Enjoy!

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I swapped all my Silvers for Chord interconnects including ethernet.

Very happy with the results.
I run an AC4200/D into Totem Forests.

Oscar P.

Wammer
Mar 6, 2020
Not all Linn silvers are equal. I had a pair of custom-made RCA silvers and they were notably inferior to a factory made pair

True, but for me it was exactly the other way around: the handmade one was better than the Factory made.
I was never completely satisfied with Linn silvers. They sound tight, rhythmic and don't really do anything wrong, but the rest could really be much better!

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I got hold of a pair of non-Dynamik Solo's, and love them a lot. I am still getting used to what they have to offer (taking it slowly, mostly passive listening) but a few things may be interesting to share here & I'd like to learn from other people's experiences with these mono amps.

First of all, I suppose "the best amp" does not exist, and I've found at least two implementations where I do not consider Solo's the best option: (1) on servo duties as a bass amp in my main system (Infinity IRS Gamma) where the Dynamik Twin is so much more fun (quicker, effortless) and (2) on the mid/high in that same system where a tube amp - apparently - feels much smoother, mostly because it is not trying to "fight" the speakers. These speakers where designed with tube amps in mind, and that's perfectly fine. They also have a quite horrible impedance curve, and if I'm not mistaken, a capacitative load as well.

I read elsewhere on this forum "Solo's will not drive everything" and I can confirm that is also what I found.

Another thing I learned, these Solo's came from a full aktiv 8x Solo Komri setup, and had been powered off for 8 months before I got them. They sounded quite unpleasant in the first 2-8 hours, as in: not joyful. The stereo image even drifted between L and R so there was definitely something going on there. This all settled.

I am quite used to the Twin now (6+ years) and would never have thought that such a big step up would be even possible. In my 2nd system, which is based on small (near field) speakers (Infinity Infinitesimal 0.1's), KDS/3, and KK/1/D, I would often switch between solid state and tube power amps. Mostly for fun, just to try different combinations. However now with the Solo's I feel no urge at all to make any changes. It appears a lot of the good stuff that I thought was exclusive to tube amps (3D), can indeed be had from a solid state amp as well. This is something I did not get out of the Twin.

One thing I am wondering about in particular, and which I am still unsure about, is whether or not these amps give me some extra 'goodness' after a certain amount of time / warming up, let's say after 30-40 minutes?

It could be just how my brain works and gets into the right flow. I could accept that. Let me try to explain what happens ... it's all very very good for the first 1/2 hour, but after a while it appears the music comes in even more 'effortless' and it becomes easier to 'understand' everything that is happening in terms of the soundstage. It's not like the soundstage changes, it doesn't get any bigger or deeper, it's just a lot easier to follow all that's going on.

I am happy to learn (from other people's experiences) if this is just my brain adjusting, or if this is a real thing (e.g. warming up of the electronics). Or could this be a sign that these Solo's would benefit from a re-cap, I just don't know?

Long story short: I love these Solo's.
I do not want to change my Twin dynamiked with two Solos not D. because I remember that Solo dynamiked was better than Twin but not "wow effect". Naturally I consider the difference of price. I hope Linn make Utopik for Solos...and Twin.

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had mine for a few years now. I'm not aware of any 'warming up', although I don't power them off unless we're not around for a few days - I leave them on standby.
They also have Dynamik from new, so maybe that's a reason I don't notice an improvement after they've been on a while. The only thing that threw me slightly when I first got them is the 'pop' from the 'speakers when they come out of standby! I know why they do it - there are two PSUs in each Solo, one to power the LED and the signal sensing circuitry, and the main one that runs the amplifier. It's this second PSU coming out of standby that causes the pop.
I initially ran them with a pair of Espeks, and now they drive pasive Akubariks. I've not tried the range of speakers you have, so can't say how they'd perform on anything other than the ones I've owned, but you'll hear no complaints from me!
yes I remember but it was a gentle and weak 'pop' like a bubble. Nothing comparable to the 'POPOP' that the first MajiK DS made.

Reactions: MickC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.