Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some while ago someone started a thread on this. Can I suggest that we recreate it as a sticky - you can then use it to draw attention to something good coming up and perhaps post a short review.

For me i'm off to see Steve Winwood this Sunday at the Stables Theatre just outside MK.

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Have this year seen The Killers, Razorlight, Corrine Bailey Rae, The Magic Numbers, Damien Rice, and a handful of jazz and classical gigs.

Tom McRae coming up soon

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Guillemots at Brixton Academy and Faithless at Wembley so far this year. Mr Hudson and the Library in Exeter next month, then Glastonbury...
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

zygote23

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 10, 2006
North Ireland, ,
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SO far this Year:- (academic years lol sept - sept)

Amy Winehouse........dire
sad.png

Andy Sheppard and Joanna McGregor...........Fantastic.

Kila...........truely uplifting.

Zero 7............lovely and nutts as well.

Next month Good Old Roger Waters in Dublin (might have a sneaky back stage pass as well woohoo!)

G

Off to see Porcupine Tree at the Carling Academy tonight. have tickets for Loudon Wainwright III during May, Genesis at Old Trafford in July. Looking at one or two dates for Peter Gabriel, he's doing St Mark's Square Venice in July - trying to encourgae SWMBO that it would be a nice couple of days out - cheap flights available too
smile.png

jeffg

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2005
, ,
Sumdumgi wrote:

Off to see Porcupine Tree at the Carling Academy tonight.
Be interested to hear how it goes. Have been listening to the new album and it's certainly got some interesting stuff on. Would have gone to the Forum on Thurs to see them but it's a college night so had to give it a miss. First tour I've missed since 99 I think
sad.png

Jeff

G

jeffg wrote:

Sumdumgi wrote:
Off to see Porcupine Tree at the Carling Academy tonight.
Be interested to hear how it goes. Have been listening to the new album and it's certainly got some interesting stuff on. Would have gone to the Forum on Thurs to see them but it's a college night so had to give it a miss. First tour I've missed since 99 I think
sad.png

Jeff
I'm a big fan and have a lot of Wilson's 'solo' stuff too.

The new album has a different feel to it although the underlying trend is very PT. Not seen them 'live' before so really looking forward to it. Apparently the setlist not only includes the new album in it's entirety but a dip into some older stuff from Stupid Dream and Up The Downstair.

Should be a good night
smile.png

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
This Saturday Seasick Steve in Brighton,with huge thanks to "Tel" forhis assistance:^

May -Rodger Walters Earles court,Ray Davis in Brighton.

June - John Fogerty at Wembley,Peter Gabriel in Hyde park.

July - Steely Dan at Hammersmith.

Still trying to pursuade Mrs O to go to the Rush gigs but all I get is:nup:

alexg

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2006
, ,
This Saturday :

Arctic Monkeys at The Leadmill in Sheffield

This Sunday :

Arctic Monkeys at The Leadmill in Sheffield

I may opt out, last time I went to see them I got showered in piss as the kids at the back launched plastic pint pots full of it at the crowd.

G

jeffg wrote:

sad.png
Jeff
OK, went to see Porcupine Tree at the Carling Academy, Newcastle last night.

Ifanyone isnot familiar with their work have a look at the website http://www.porcupinetree.com where there is a discography, biography and links to band leader Steven Wilson’s myspace area and indeed PT have their own myspace area with music samples and other information. on the band.

PT are the brainchild of multi-instrumentalist Steven Wilson, they are to all intents and purposes a progressive rock band who have evolved over the years still retaining, in my opinion, a fresh ‘take’ on the genre. Their music can be very melodic and Wilson has a distinct rather plaintive vocal style that suits the band well. This tour is to promote the bands new release ‘Fear of a Blank Planet. The album is a slight departure in that it comes across as a suite of music including half a dozen movements rather than an album of definitive tracks. Although I think it is a strong release with moments of real magic it is perhaps not the best album to start with if you are new to their music.

A support band called Amplifier delivering a range of routine metal with riffs nicked from Sabbath and Metallica opened the gig. One dimensional and tedious, avoid if possible.

PT arrived on stage around 8.50pm and kicked off with the opener from the new album and indeed over the night played the album in its entirety. The sound was crisp and loud, actually very nicely loud without inducing pain or instant deafness. Actually at one point I thought the vibrate alert on my mobile was going off but it tuned out to be the change in my pocket vibrating !. PT are great musicians, many of the tracks followed the album presentations to the letter but there were significant departures with a bit of free form additions to well known pieces. Wilson is not a great communicator with the audience so introductions in the main were minimal but as a front man performing he does a good job with some great guitar work. Visually it’s standard ‘foot-gazing' on a small stage but some tracks – particularly those from the new album tracks were backed with video & image projections very effectively.

Anyway the setlist (as best I remember due to the consumption of copious amounts of lager) –

Fear Of A Blank Planet

Drown With Me

Lightbulb Sun

My Ashes

Anesthetize

Open Car

Sentimental

Gravity Eyelids

Blackest Eyes

Half Light

Sever

Way Out Of Here

Sleep Together

Encore:

Even Less

Halo

A full two hours full of excellent music, brilliantly performed greatly appreciated by the crowd. PT are one of my favourite bands and this gig met all my expectations. If you get the chance check out the tour, if not have a listen to the myspace stuff. Their material is invariably well recorded and produced and so in addition to the quality music you also get music sounding as good as it can do
smile.png

jeffg

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2005
, ,
Nice review! Sounds very much likePT as I know them, have never had a duff gig .

Nice to see them including Even Less in the set, been one of my favourite tracks since they opened up with it at Bloomsbury Theatre in 99, blew me away, such a great track.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Jeff

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Seen The Cooper Temple Clause about 3 weeks ago , got T in the Park tickets and Foo Fighters/Nine Inch Nails ticket.:)And prolly whatever crops up in between.

chezi

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
Seasick Steve in Brighton last night,a highly enjoyable evening of raw Delta blues,performed by a guy who has lived it :^Brilliant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles