Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2012
London
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello, I'm thinking of replacing the mdf bases in my sound organisation stand with toughened glass. For aesthetic reasons mainly, but I won't do it if its going to negatively affect the sound. Anyone have any similar experience or suggestions as to what sort of glass to get (that i can reasonably ask of the local glazer)?

Cheers

Ian

P.S. it looks like this: http://images.audioasylum.com/usr/y2010/04/35923/DSCN0018.JPG

nat8808

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 8, 2007
London
AKA
Nat
I've always felt that it glass will be more bongy and therefore be hit and miss about whether that resonance will effect the component.

Having said that, I've a similar sound org stand that came with glass shelves anyway, clear rubber buttons on each corner (the kind you get on IKEA kitchen doors to stop them banging). Mana put strips on their glass to stop bonging resonances - always thought that was a gimmick.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would suggest laminated glass. The layer inbetween (PVB?) should reduce the resonance. Remember that laminated glass is not as strong as toughened glass, or even untoughened, as it is 2 layers of thinner glass. Safer yes, stronger no.

uncl_nigel

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2008
SE France
AKA
Nigel
Under my tube / transistor hybrid power amp I heard an improvement when I inserted their bamboo shelf between the amp and the glass of my Atacama Equinox rack.

An improvement in tonal neutrality and imaging.

K

keirik

i made a hifi stand out of acrylic sheets, no resonance whatsoever and more robust than glass. you can buy it online at any thickness and get it cut to whatever shape you want. i got mine cut, the edges polished and holes cut exacly where I wanted.

eastone

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2012
London
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
aha, interesting. i had thought glass might make the sound too lean but what most of you describe seems to be the opposite. maybe acrylic is the way to go in that case...

Pussycat

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Norwich
AKA
Mike
Admittedly, the experience of my friend and me is with predominately Naim gear, but we both found that 5/6mm toughened glass shelves on Target tables (similar to S.O.) was detrimental, hardening up the sound. Focalpods or similar spongy 'feet' are mandatory, almost. My friend has found benefits from acrylic, but light (MDF or whatever) shelves also give better results.

I'd guess that acrylic is easier and cheaper to source than thich t'd glass. To spend such money/hassle on a punt with a cheapish S.O. table 'for cosmetic reasons' does make me scratch my head, however !

eastone

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2012
London
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
...anything that makes the hifi gear more palatable to the missus in our 8x12 foot living room is worth a punt!

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ooh er - having bought/enjoyed as have many with ears many SO products, I recommend now deleted once-best-buy SO Z560 black stand with space for 6 full-width items - including LP12 on top. Glass supplied to my perception has not been bettered (spiked x 4 unusually for me - I prefer 3 X) to solid floor or maybe into-wood pozidriv(e) screw-cross-heads...). I am sure that often for some anything else suitable/preferably not too overpriced might seem to do job ...

As my wives frequently tell me, get a life (back). And I have tried everything else - usually, wives/SO are best. Other alternatives are available. 'Black' glass needs fortnightly damp-dusting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hczxynbvtr