Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to all for the excellent feedback(y)

I will play around with speaker position and certainly try the different channel rotation in the next days (although not sure if I will be able to hear any difference).

I am looking forward to a direct comparism between a „old school active“ system and an exakt system in a couple of weeks and certainly share my impressions here:

I will get a system consisting of
- Akurate Exakt DSM/1
- Majik Exaktbox-i (non Kat)
- Majik Isobarik Speakers

This will be fun:)

Reactions: formann

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
if the Aktiv principle is that of the chakras amplifier the first connection should be the most important unit because it is directly connected, then, I think, the midrange (if there is a more important unit 😉).
As for the length of speaker cables, quiet, there is no 'golden' length also because each cable has its own characteristic R-L-C that is added to the R-L-C of the speaker, therefore, a 3.5mt cable is better than a 4 but a 2,5mt is better than 2mt one

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
if the Aktiv principle is that of the chakras amplifier the first connection should be the most important unit because it is directly connected, then, I think, the midrange (if there is a more important unit 😉).
As for the length of speaker cables, quiet, there is no 'golden' length also because each cable has its own characteristic R-L-C that is added to the R-L-C of the speaker, therefore, a 3.5mt cable is better than a 4 but a 2,5mt is better than 2mt one
How much do R, L, and C vary with length? I'd think these values would be extremely low to begin with, and would be a drop in the bucket compared to the load due to the speakers. I would think all this would be below the threshold of audibility.

silkie

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Saffron Walden
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just finished the new „old school active“ setup:
A hell of a lot of cables - although I kept the cable lengths as short as possible - and you really have to concentrate:
There are endless possibilities to mix up cables.:unsure:

Anyway, i'm done and ...... WOW!

Unlike many others here, I have a hard time describing sound differences between different setups, but purely subjective:
It just sounds awesome!:D
Really pleased this worked out for you!! I couldn't agree more with "WOW" & "It just sounds awesome!" My active M140's make me smile every day.

Reactions: JensA

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The more I see this thread the more I yearn to put together another "vintage" Linn system as a second system. Anyone else here bored of £35k boxes and £100k speakers ? Perhaps its time for an Old Linn Club (that is not just the age of the members ! ).

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The more I see this thread the more I yearn to put together another "vintage" Linn system as a second system. Anyone else here bored of £35k boxes and £100k speakers ? Perhaps its time for an Old Linn Club (that is not just the age of the members ! ).
I've just had a lot of fun with vintage Linn equipment in the 2 or so years I've been involved with it now.

I am the last person who would accuse someone of spending a lot of money on hi-fi equipment, but somehow this old and several orders of magnitude cheaper equipment makes you more engaged with the music itself than with the next upgrade and the one after that...

Another big advantage with vintage Linn stuff is, of course, that the associated "investment" and risk of a price drop is extremely limited: You can simply try something out without having to have a serious talk with your bank guy beforehand...

Last but not least, it has that elusive "retro" charm: If you drive a vintage car like I do, you probably know what I'm talking about.

I myself have already considered setting up my own little website or blog on the subject of "Linntage" equipment.

A separate "Linntage" section in this forum I would of course also welcome.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am the last person who would accuse someone of spending a lot of money on hi-fi equipment, but somehow this old and several orders of magnitude cheaper equipment makes you more engaged with the music itself than with the next upgrade and the one after that...
I think minimal investment could lead to more musical enjoyment. The results far exceed the expectation. I've experienced this with a well set up Majik system. :)

Reactions: ThomasOK

Bianchennero

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 16, 2023
Italia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I
I just finished the new „old school active“ setup:
A hell of a lot of cables - although I kept the cable lengths as short as possible - and you really have to concentrate:
There are endless possibilities to mix up cables.:unsure:

Anyway, i'm done and ...... WOW!

Unlike many others here, I have a hard time describing sound differences between different setups, but purely subjective:
It just sounds awesome!:D

Especially in consumer electronics I’m not a fan of vintage: I like innovation. But, yes, it’s true, there was high-end components that 15, 20 years ago I couldn’t listen to and now I sometimes think about them in the second-hand market. I don’t take it because I don’t want to get a second hi fi system, I don’t have time to listen to it.

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks to all for the excellent feedback(y)

I will play around with speaker position and certainly try the different channel rotation in the next days (although not sure if I will be able to hear any difference).

I am looking forward to a direct comparism between a „old school active“ system and an exakt system in a couple of weeks and certainly share my impressions here:

I will get a system consisting of
- Akurate Exakt DSM/1
- Majik Exaktbox-i (non Kat)
- Majik Isobarik Speakers

This will be fun:)
I have not heard a non Katalyst Exaktbox I but I'd be surprised if it doesn't better the aktiv 5125's/M140's by quite a margin (imho) it certainly did for me coming from aktiv Ninka's into 2x 5125's can't see how Exakt can suck the soul out of the music for me it was the biggest step up for my system 👌,but I'm sure choosing which system suits your tastes best will be good fun .... Enjoy;)

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In a few weeks I will have the opportunity to make direct listening comparisons of passive, active and exact at my home:

A friend has just bought a pair of 140s, I myself will then get a 2nd hand exakt system, so that the following equipment will be available:

- Majik DSM/2
- Akurate Exakt DSM/1
- 2 x AV 5125 with active cards for Majik 140s
- 1 pair Majik 140 in passive mode
- 1 pair Majik 140 in active mode
- 1 pair Majik Isobarik (either active or passive)

formann

Øyvind I
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Ski Norway
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In a few weeks I will have the opportunity to make direct listening comparisons of passive, active and exact at my home:

A friend has just bought a pair of 140s, I myself will then get a 2nd hand exakt system, so that the following equipment will be available:

- Majik DSM/2
- Akurate Exakt DSM/1
That's going to be interesting but be aware that the Akurate Exakt DSM/1 will be a huge bottleneck compared to a Selekt DSM in an Exakt system.

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's going to be interesting but be aware that the Akurate Exakt DSM/1 will be a huge bottleneck compared to a Selekt DSM in an Exakt system.
But I don't have any Selekt DSM!

I am very positive that the Akurate Exakt DSM/1 would not be any downgrade compared to my Majik DSM/2;) (besides being forced to stay in "exakt world"), so most likely - unless the listening comparism will bring unexpected results - I will swap the Majik DSM for the Akurate Exakt and Majik Exaktbox-i.

My trusted Linn dealer strongly recommends a Katalyst upgrade for the Exaktbox - I don't even own yet - and you strongly recommend to replace the Akurate Exakt - which I don't even own yet, too :D - with a Selekt DSM....

All these "must have" upgrades for modern Linn stuff:confused: make me like my "Linntage" equipment even more....

Reactions: silkie

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

- Majik DSM/2
- Akurate Exakt DSM/1
How are going to run an exakt set up are you getting an Exaktbox I /Exaktbox (non Kat)? as it is not on your list.

Last edited:

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But I don't have any Selekt DSM!

I am very positive that the Akurate Exakt DSM/1 would not be any downgrade compared to my Majik DSM/2;) (besides being forced to stay in "exakt world"), so most likely - unless the listening comparism will bring unexpected results - I will swap the Majik DSM for the Akurate Exakt and Majik Exaktbox-i.

My trusted Linn dealer strongly recommends a Katalyst upgrade for the Exaktbox - I don't even own yet - and you strongly recommend to replace the Akurate Exakt - which I don't even own yet, too :D - with a Selekt DSM....

All these "must have" upgrades for modern Linn stuff:confused: make me like my "Linntage" equipment even more....
Would it not be a lot cheaper to get an Akurate exaktbox I from the start ? Majik exaktbox will be circa £2k + £2750 for the Kat upgrade and I paid £3k for my Akurate exaktbox I Kat (May last year )through a Linn dealer ex demo, that was before the price increase though.The Selekt would still be going through the Exaktbox so would still be using the Katalyst DAC. And (imho) AEDSM will sound pretty sweet ,a Selekt in top configuration is likely going to cost 10 x what a AEDSM will cost and unable to run a 4 way speaker !!

Last edited:
Reactions: silkie

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Majik_Exaktbox-I_Linn2k-4way.jpg

Exaktbox I to M140 speaker cables (y)

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Would it not be a lot cheaper to get an Akurate exaktbox I from the start ? Majik exaktbox will be circa £2k + £2750 for the Kat upgrade and I paid £3k for my Akurate exaktbox I Kat (May last year )through a Linn dealer ex demo, that was before the price increase though.The Selekt would still be going through the Exaktbox so would still be using the Katalyst DAC. And (imho) AEDSM will sound pretty sweet ,a Selekt in top configuration is likely going to cost 10 x what a AEDSM will cost and unable to run a 4 way speaker !!
Fully agree, but there is a lack of Katalyst Exaktbox-i's available 2nd hand here for quite some time now plus I got hold of the Majik Exaktbox-i at a very reasonable price...

Reactions: formann

LSPC

LSPC
Wammer
Sep 19, 2020
Poole,Dorset
AKA
Lee.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fully agree, but there is a lack of Katalyst Exaktbox-i's available 2nd hand here for quite some time now plus I got hold of the Majik Exaktbox-i at a very reasonable price...
Yes looking around there's only one on eBay but its £4750, think I struck lucky at the right time when I bought mine.Not heard one without Katalyst ,unfortunately it is supposed to make quite an improvement.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles