Goldfrapp Tales of Us

Monitor Gold Ten

Basking in the warm glow of Electron Tubes.
Wammer
Aug 6, 2012
Catfield
AKA
Stu
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Got this album today and really like it. A thing of beauty and a return to form! :cool:

batteredhaggis

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 29, 2013
East Sussex
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ditto Alan

Lose track of which track I am listening to - and tend to lose interest or just have it on in the background.

In general though I like the return to the more ethereal side of their music - often reminds me of my old Cocteau Twins LPs.

Been enjoying London Grammar lately but same samey quality applies. It seems often the way that a band finds success with a particularly distinctive sound then gets 'stuck' trying to find new ways to express it. If they break out of its confines they often throw the baby away with the bathwater.

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
1st play meh,LP needed two cleans before being playable,it is a grower though,quite enjoyed it this afternoon.

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A friend recommended this so it's been getting some plays , none offensive easy listen , very much a passing similarity to Kate Bush

D

Dayvan cowboy

Well isn't this a lovely Sunday morning listen , 4 th play now and it's just clicked

D

Dayvan cowboy

The song " stranger " is my fave , it brings back memories of summer 76 as a kid on holiday in west wales with my parents and freinds ..and I don't have a scoody doo why ....... Funny old business this music lark innit

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Sounds nothing like Kate Bush to me, but there you go. It does remind me a lot of of Katie Jane Garside's project Ruby Throat.

If you like the album try Out of a Black Cloud Came a Bird. It's rather more left-field than the Goldfrapp album but very enjoyable.

2911163.jpg

D

Dayvan cowboy

No not getting the Kate bush thing either . Couple of songs remind me of "Beth gibbons" superb "out of season" album tho , will check that out mark ..

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Deffo a slow burner of an album , listened to 3 of her back catalogue albums tonight a for me definate influences of the Cocteau twins , Prince and Kate Bush !

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hmmmm, this may take some time to appreciate.

At the moment, very bland, very samey, I honestly can not differentiate between tracks.

Orchestration and pacing is the same all the way through, slow and un-imaginative.

It's sort of like having blancmange for starter, main and desert.

Overalll, very disappointed. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hczxynbvtr