Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can't beat a good coastal golf course for the whole golfing experience. I've been very fortunate over the years to play quite a few. Portpatrick in SW Scotland, and Nefyn in North Wales spring to mind. My word, what views, but my oh my when that wind blows they are beasts.
I was down Selsey (W. Sussex nr Chichester) way yesterday, picking up a quad of 6L6GC valves from the eBay seller's house. The address was Golf Links Lane - hmm, thought I might pop in and chat with the pro at the nearby Selsey Golf Club, which I did.

Nice and quiet and you can pay a green fee. Only a 9 hole but of course you can play it x2 (£28). Bit pricey but the threeball on the first said the greens are beautiful, which probably means the course is well kept and the members repair their pitchmarks.

They did say something about wind, but how windy can it get..?

:)

• Haha
Reactions: greybeard

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Played what seemed like my first winter round yesterday, torrential rain showers and 35mph wind, I certainly found it difficult, playing off 12 and ended up 6 over nett, the winner was 2 over so everyone found it tough, I ended up 12th of 28. I was amazed at how quickly the course has changed, with the rain we have had here lately, no run on the ball now, which caught me out on the first few holes. Unfortunately coming in 6 over has not changed my hcp, so it's going to be a tough winter at this rate!

Reactions: Non-Smoking Man

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Currently visiting the Ashbury golf resort near Okehampton. The morning started with torrrrrrential downpours but miraculously we were able to get a full 18holes in and stayed reasonably dry. Sadly it took 5hrs 40mins to play those 18holes and we were in buggies!

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am somewhat chuffed with myself, I won our seniors championship yesterday coming in 3 under par nett, off 13. But more surprisingly I also won the gross too. I shall now have my name on a clubhouse board, always been an ambition of mine. 😃

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am somewhat chuffed with myself, I won our seniors championship yesterday coming in 3 under par nett, off 13. But more surprisingly I also won the gross too. I shall now have my name on a clubhouse board, always been an ambition of mine. 😃

Did they give you a sombrero. I bet there were shouts of "Cut him cut him " :)

• Haha
Reactions: MVJ

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did they give you a sombrero. I bet there were shouts of "Cut him cut him " :)
Funny you should say that! But the members are going to be really pissed off, when they find out my handicap actually went up by 0.3 of a shot :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: DUVET

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Funny you should say that! But the members are going to be really pissed off, when they find out my handicap actually went up by 0.3 of a shot :ROFLMAO:
Well done on winning the Seniors Championship. With your new handicap it will be even easier to repeat the feat next year. :)

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Playing in a Vets open BB comp today at Tavistock, which is on the edge of Dartmoor. Never played it before, so should be interesting.
87 teams entered, so it could be a long day, and a very hot one, looking at the forecast!

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Playing in a Vets open BB comp today at Tavistock, which is on the edge of Dartmoor. Never played it before, so should be interesting.
87 teams entered, so it could be a long day, and a very hot one, looking at the forecast!
They'd better get the ambulances lined up to ferry all you old crusties to hospital with heat stroke.....😲🥺🥵

• Haha

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They'd better get the ambulances lined up to ferry all you old crusties to hospital with heat stroke.....😲🥺🥵
That wasn't far from the truth. Jeez it was hot, but a great natural moorland course, but the ground was so hard great for hitting 300 yd drives, but dreadful for keeping the ball on the green. I was amazed at some of the great scores that came in, ours was at the other end of the spectrum!:ROFLMAO: But a great day was had by all, and some stunning views.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That wasn't far from the truth. Jeez it was hot, but a great natural moorland course, but the ground was so hard great for hitting 300 yd drives, but dreadful for keeping the ball on the green. I was amazed at some of the great scores that came in, ours was at the other end of the spectrum!:ROFLMAO: But a great day was had by all, and some stunning views.
Your not going to find much better views mate I was a member for many years at baildon GC in West yorkshire it was discribed as a moorland links it was a case of hit it straight or take plenty of balls to lose.

I learned fast not to over hit and just swing steady.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello Jack,

16 handicapper here, playing once or sometimes twice a week. Would be up for an occasional game.
Bandit!

I played Chris (pre covid) and he wiped the floor with me (mind you he had spent an embarrassingly lot of money on a new Callaway driver at the time).
Alas, that course north of Brighton (Waterhall) the council has had returned to nature and I lost my home track.
Chris I know has injured himself playing badminton (seems impossible in a non contact sport, but there you are..) so commiserations old chap.
I had my first outing for 3.5 years today at Coulsden ( S.E. London) having been invited to make up an 'old school' (in more ways than one) 4 ball at Wizmax's invitation.

Great day! Super course!

I fluffed a few but didnt disgrace myself hopefully. I was effing knackered at the end of it all - and its flat as a pancake.

You want to live long - take up golf..! (Its underestimated as a work-out!)

Jack NSM

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles