Granite Plinths for my speakers....

hifistudent

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2005
Brighton or Newcastl
Evening all,

I have seen on this website and other that a number of people have put their equipment (i.e. speakers) on granite plinths. My question is is it worth it and what will it do?

My bedroom (student
smile.png
) is....er let me find a tape measure...ok don't have one so will have to guess... 10ft wide and 18ft in length.

Speakers are at the front in the bay window either side of my desk. Sadly i have floorboards (nice ones i just prefer carpet) Currently i don't actually get that much listening out of them as being in a student house i have to 'be aware of others'!

If anyone is to recommend them then would the one i bought recently to go under my CD player (chopping board thing mentioned by someone in the DIY section) suffice?

Thanks all...

Btw my equipment is as follows:

Rotel RA-03, Cyrus CD6, Monitor Audio RS8, Roku-M1000, Sennheiser HD650, Creek OBH-21 Headphone Amp, Chord Carnival silver anniversary bi-wire, QED 3 interconnects

harv

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
I dunno about granite sounds a bit posh to me,

I just bought some concrete paving slabs for the speakers, (as my bedroom is upstairs) from B & Q, they tightened the bass and gave it a cleaner sound, this only worked with my JM's... with the maggies... didn't make any difference, never tried it with equipment though

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
Take a look at my photo's below, I bought these concrete slabs from B&Q for £6 each, far cheaper than granite/marble and not bad looking either.Will certainly help tighten any boomy bass.

The Swedish Chef

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2005
Göteborg, , Sweden
AKA
Philip
another user of granite plinths here.

currently have michell tender feet reversed and two plinths blue tackd together and my speakers sitting on them. as others have noticed the bass becomes tighter and less boomie

Roksan.jpg

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use the smaller £3 slabs under my Linn Kans to much the same effect , you can notce the amount of vibration these soak up , a lot less is transmited to the floor .

hifistudent

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2005
Brighton or Newcastl
Thanks all.

The granite things are only about £12 each and look much nicer than concrete in my opinion.

Another question though, unlike carpet or wood i can't believe the spikes are going to go in that well. Does that mean they might be rather 'slippery' and if touched, fall over? Any experience of that or are the speakers so heavy its not really a problem?

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think it's worth mucking about with the coupling too. There was a previous thread about this, where Mosfet and others mentioned decoupling and resonance, but I can't find it. Anyway, if you stick granite between the spikes and the fllor, you will alter the sound sure, but also try spk/blu tac/ganite/fllor or spk/spike/granite/blu tac/floor ...I find those combinations quite different.:Not Sure:

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm gonna need to make some DIY plinths readyfor the WB ARCs.

Ant recommendations for a reasonable supplier of granite?

Should i decouple the plinths from the floor too? Michell Tenderfeet?

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
Decoupling my paving slabs didn't work for me, the carpet acts as isolation minimising the boom caused by the floorboards underneath, using spikes/cones bypasses the carpet.

You may want to experiment with size of slab too as if too small speaker will rock, greater surface area will increase stability.

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
Papa Lazarou wrote:

I would experiment with different isolation under the slab, even carpet cut to the same size as the slabs, also sorbathane or just plain rubber.I dont think Tenderfeet would work, maybe worse than no slab at all.Plenty to play around with though.

Thanks, but i don't have carpet in my room (suspended wood floor covered in laminate).

White Pheasant

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
Norfolk fields
AKA
Michael
hifistudent wrote:

Another question though, unlike carpet or wood i can't believe the spikes are going to go in that well. Does that mean they might be rather 'slippery' and if touched, fall over? Any experience of that or are the speakers so heavy its not really a problem?
The spikes of my speaker standsstand directly ongranite plinthsand I haven't had any problem with movement of the stands at all - although I have heard of one or twoother peoplereporting some movement.Myspeakers weigh 14kg each, so with sand-filledmetal stands as well, there's plenty of weight there which might help as yousuggested.

granitespeakerplinth20ya.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oindnsh3