Wammer
Jul 14, 2020
London
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,
Possibly a silly question but could I use the grounding / earth cable that is attached to my power strip as the grounding point for my Phono Stage and SUT?
If it is a bad idea where would be a better option considering I have no grounding point in my setup?

rocky raccoon

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Cambridge
AKA
Iestos de la Mancha
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tony
a few questions :
when you say you have 'no grounding point' - Is your Phono Stage plugged in to the mains with a three-pin UK plug ?
Is there a ground wire from your TT to a ground post on your Phono pre ?
Do you have any audible hum when the phono input is selected at moderate volume through your system with no record playing?

Best regards,

rr

Reactions: Tony_J

Tony T

Tony T
Wammer
Jul 14, 2020
London
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the reply:)
1-Yes
2-No ground cable from tone arm, which is a first for me. TT is Rega P8 and both the phono Stage and SUT have grounding points.
3-At moderate level no but it’s more apparent to me via headphones and when I listen near field.

Tony

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rega TT's have ground path via Lch (blue) which is connected to tonearm metal at two points , some cartridges might have Rch connected to shield.
One possible solution would be to reverse the channels at the cartridge tags and then reverse channel connections at the phono stage . What's the cartridge ?
Secondly , does hum increase when cartridge travels towards the spindle ?
Is there anything else under the TT with a mains transformer?

Tony T

Tony T
Wammer
Jul 14, 2020
London
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rega TT's have ground path via Lch (blue) which is connected to tonearm metal at two points , some cartridges might have Rch connected to shield.
One possible solution would be to reverse the channels at the cartridge tags and then reverse channel connections at the phono stage . What's the cartridge ?
Secondly , does hum increase when cartridge travels towards the spindle ?
Is there anything else under the TT with a mains transformer?
Cart is a Rega Ania. Interconnects are Rega Couple 0.75m & 1.0m between
SUT-MM stage-Preamp.

Phono stage is a Sculpture A Discrete Mini Phono and Mini Nano SUT.

With no record in place the arm moves from the runout area of where a record would sit towards the centre of the platter a barely audible hum is discernible but not of any issue.
This is totally down to the motor position of the P8 and not a issue with grounding. I had a similar but worse issue with a ANTT2 many years ago that had one motor directly in the path of the cartridge as it played through a record.

This could be a non-problem looking for a solution.
If it is a problem then try this series of blogs by Korf; a sensible bunch, compared to yer average audiophile anyway.

https://korfaudio.us20.list-manage....5bfa2dc794a3498469&id=08a2955777&e=00dac48552
I’ll take a look at the link later this evening:) and consider moving things around to see if I can find a better way of siting the units.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles