Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Was following a Landrover Discovery near enough brand new and noticed one of his headlights was not working.
Being the nice chap I am I grabbed his attention and told him.
I know mate it’s going on Wednesday guess how much ?
Well he told me glad I was sitting down and feel sorry for anyone who has bought one 😂😂

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
2.5k. Absolute guess but it could be anything knowing new cars.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it's a xenon or LED, it's probably cheaper to part-ex it for a new car.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sadly Jaguar/Land Rover have garnered a terrible reputation for unreliability in recent years. They are almost all great to look at and ride in, but I’d never put my own money into one. Of course, I realise the light could’ve failed due to stone damage, but the tales of breakdowns are legion.

Reactions: Mantra Maniac

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
given a lot of people buy cars on personal purchase and don't own them just send them back when the 3 or 5 years is up I wonder if manufacturers build them to last just that long. That's why all those ridiculous screens are everywhere. Those like your phone that crack in hardly any time at all. I think cars are only built to last maybe 5 yrs these days before seriously expensive replacements are needed. Like an LED in those dreadful sliding indicators. Or as you say a headlight.
Isn't modern life rubbish.

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If true that's hilarious :ROFLMAO:.

I bought a replacement brake light for my car this afternoon. It cost me £1.29.
Filament bulbs are still pennies. Xenon headlights are a different matter, as it's a complete unit, together with ancilliary parts. Still a total piss take at over three grand though. As above, the rest of the issue is that with a lot of cars, you have to do some serious dismantling to actually get at the damned things.

To be fair, I can 'almost' understand the taking it apart bit with LEDs and xenons, as they (should) be very long life. The sort of designs where you need to strip down half the front end to replace a fragile filament bulb is plainly intended to ramp up service department profits.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Filament bulbs are still pennies. Xenon headlights are a different matter, as it's a complete unit, together with ancilliary parts. Still a total piss take at over three grand though.
I do of course realise it's different but spending thousands on a replacement headlight is bonkers! If a headlight really is that expensive to replace then it's simply idiotic to use it in the first place.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A two-filament 21W/5W stop/tail light failed on my van. I couldn't get my hand in the hole to remove it so I rang the garage and they replaced it in 10 min for a tenner. Even if I paid over the odds for the labour, those guys had the knack and I didn't. Plus it was worth it not to get pulled for it.

Reactions: luckysim0n

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was reading recently of issues with the BMW 3.5l 6 cyl diesel engine …..then found out that the timing chain needs changing at 100k miles - BUT it’s on the rear of the engine behind the flywheel so you have to take the engine out to do it - that must be in the 1000s just fir the labour at a main dealer. Thankfully my Kuga is at 125k for the cambelt and my local garage was under £400 inc parts 😁😁. BMWs might be the ultimate driving machine but also it seems the fastest wallet emptier too.

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well he said £3300 not sure if they would throw VAT on top
He had fought for a warranty claim lucky for him
Just imagine in the future ……a simple front end prang taking out the lights …..and your car is written off !!!!

Reactions: luckysim0n

Carrington

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was reading recently of issues with the BMW 3.5l 6 cyl diesel engine …..then found out that the timing chain needs changing at 100k miles - BUT it’s on the rear of the engine behind the flywheel so you have to take the engine out to do it - that must be in the 1000s just fir the labour at a main dealer. Thankfully my Kuga is at 125k for the cambelt and my local garage was under £400 inc parts 😁😁. BMWs might be the ultimate driving machine but also it seems the fastest wallet emptier too.
Some of the V10 Audis are similar in that the engine has to come out for a new timing chain. I saw recently that if a head gasket goes on a Bentley W12, which on an older car is a distinct possibility, it's a new engine....

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just imagine in the future ……a simple front end prang taking out the lights …..and your car is written off !!!!

My "insurers" (damn them) wrote off my Ford Fusion after I damaged the front end - and the lights were still working!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles