Guide to high-end audio

Chivas

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
Knebworth, Herts
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a friend who has been bitten by the hifi bug (spare a moment for his wife...) and he is starting to dip his toes in the water - you would've noticed in the classifieds that I am looking for an amp for him. He is starting off with valves, so good on him! :^

I thought a nice guide to high-end audio will be a good xmas prezzie for him. I own the "Complete guide to high-end Audio" by Robert Harley. Are there better options out there?

Cheers

Chivas

Diapason

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 6, 2012
Dublin
AKA
Simon
I don't know of any decent books, but any time I've looked at the usual suspects the info feels dated. You might consider a year's subscription to one of the mags instead? If you don't want to spend too much (and assuming he has the means to read them) the digital versions can be quite cheap. For example, I bought myself a year of Digital Stereophile for $5, and I've got quite a lot out of it.

M

MallyMad

You could always sign him up to one of those internet forum type things..... Theres one in particular thats awrite.....

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
suggest you buy two tickets to the best HiFi show ...... (Clarkson pause) IN THE WORLD!

HiFi Wigwam show March 2014. Apart from my kit, which will be absent (boo)

he will find all he needs to know about Curry, Cables and other Critical fax about music and how to listen to it.

As he's a HE afficionado, I have early distribution GOLD tickets available at £679.99 each. PM me for details.

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought the book years ago, can be useful, for most of us it's states the obvious , but perhaps we need reminding of the basics occasionally!

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Although 'Hi-Fi' shows can be a good laugh/social, you do have to try the old or new/expensive or cheap stuff in YOUR listening-environment/setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles