gyrodec and gyrodec se

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
what are the differences between these, apart from the lid and plinth?

is it worth going extra for the former over the latter?

ta.
wink.png

G

no it's just about whether you need a cover. and it looks better. to me anyway.

go direct to michell. call steve he should do you an se without arm for 550 quid.

if not my dealer friend can get you one for a good price. he lives near michell aswell.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMO it all depends on whether you have pets and kids.

I have a Gyrodec and the perspex cover is a godsend in keeping out dog hairs and dust etc. I prefer the look of the Gyrodec too, but thats purely subjective of course.

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
G

good idea. but the full gyro does look better than the se. call michell see what they say.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
pamela andersons gusset wrote:

what are the differences between these, apart from the lid and plinth?is it worth going extra for the former over the latter?

ta.
wink.png
I thought in this case SE was skeleton Edition, as in no body, other than that the same. I also prefer the look of the SE.

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Spyder edition I understand it is. Many believe the extra acrylic does nothing for its sonic performance. I'd go for the SE editions of Michell's decksmyself (I did) and you have the option of some very, very good mods for the Gyro/Orbe
wink.png

Dik Dolan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
United Kingdom
I have had a few record players now, and the gyrodec I know own is the 1st one with a lid.....and it's soooo good not having to hoover and dust the room anymore, for fear of dust bunnies eating my records=) ( and I think the extra perspex looks better)

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
IMO SE versions are better looking than the ones with perspex plinth & cover.

Some say the SE has the edge sonically aswell.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having an Orbe SE I do find dust a serious problem. You can get a Michell Unicover for £44 which goes over the platter and arm so gives some protection but the Lyra stylus guard is always in place when not in use.

Some people think that the SE versions sound slightly better due to the lack of acrylic but, tbh, I've never been able to tell. I chose the Se over the full on Orbe due to the sheer weight of the extra acrylic as it had to go on a wallshelf.

I think you would be happy with either deck but I would recommend the unicover if going for an SE.

As for Gyro vs spacedeck - very tough choice, both are as good as one another but have slightly different presentations and it will be down to personal choice of which presentation you prefer, the Spacedeck having the better bass but Gyro probably the better insight.

However both decks are quality and if looked after will probably last forever.

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
i`ve demo`d both recently , and fell in love with both :Not Sure:

the notts was warmer, the gyro more detailed.Both have stunning build quality, and look fantastic.

swings and roundabouts etc....

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
PAG paid a visit tonight, we spun a wide variety of tracksand heseemed to enjoy music via thePedersenOrbe SE.

I think it will boil down to preference between the NAS and Gyro as they are both really nice decks...mods aplenty availablefor the Gyro though that would take it beyond the NAS...

Possibly evenan Orbe????

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am quite happy with my Gyro SE, with QC power, SME IV tonearm and XLO reference tonearm cable, all through my Sonic frontiers valve phono.

May stick new oil and a belt on at some point for the sake of it, and plan to get a new cart again this year.

I still ponder over the orb platter upgrade though ?

Local dealers have advised against it though, not sure what the pros and cons are ?

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
kingsxfan wrote:

PAG paid a visit tonight, we spun a wide variety of tracks and he seemed to enjoy music via the Pedersen Orbe SE. I think it will boil down to preference between the NAS and Gyro as they are both really nice decks...mods aplenty available for the Gyro though that would take it beyond the NAS...

Possibly even an Orbe????

Yor orb sounded stunning matey, no other word for it. probably one of the best vinyl front ends i`ve heard... period.

great balance to your system, and who said valve amps don`t do bass?
wink.png

nice meeting you m8, i`ll have those "things" for you before the weekend dude.

ta velly muchlee.

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Sastusbulbas wrote:

I still ponder over the orb platter upgrade though ?

Local dealers have advised against it though, not sure what the pros and cons are ?
Not sure why they would advise against the Orbes heavy platter? Did they give a reason??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles