rednose66

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2006
Cardiff, , United Ki
AKA
Jon
Hello

I live in Spain but work in the UK. I would like to buy a second hand turntable in the UK to bring back to Spain with me, I am looking for a deck that can fit into easyJet hand luggage either whole or disassembled. Ideally I would need something that wouldnt be too difficult to reassemble if taken apart. The Gyrodec looks like a contender. Any other ideas? I am looking at spending around £1500 for which money I know I could get a Xerxes or LP12 quite easily but I think they are too big for hand luggage. (I could put a disassembled plinth into hold luggage suitably padded and secured. Look forward to any suggestions.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Am wondering why you don’t buy locally if you are that opening minded about what you could bring back. Ryanair’s policy is for a 10kg maximum and so your turntable will need to be in decedent case to protect it and that could be 4-5kgs alone and it’s not really going to be well protected without it’s original box. And in the original box you will get stopped in customs.

There is a vibrant HiFi scene in Spain. Have you looked at Comoficho? There are some decent turntables on sale. I realise that the UK may have more selection depending on the brand but what’s holding you back from buying in Europe as you don’t need to limit yourself to Spain?

https://comoficho.com/buscar/sOrder.../categoria,giradiscos-o-platos/sPriceMax,1650

rednose66

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2006
Cardiff, , United Ki
AKA
Jon
Am wondering why you don’t buy locally if you are that opening minded about what you could bring back. Ryanair’s policy is for a 10kg maximum and so your turntable will need to be in decedent case to protect it and that could be 4-5kgs alone and it’s not really going to be well protected without it’s original box. And in the original box you will get stopped in customs.

There is a vibrant HiFi scene in Spain. Have you looked at Comoficho? There are some decent turntables on sale. I realise that the UK may have more selection depending on the brand but what’s holding you back from buying in Europe as you don’t need to limit yourself to Spain?

https://comoficho.com/buscar/sOrder.../categoria,giradiscos-o-platos/sPriceMax,1650
I do keep an eye on Comoficho but there is a lot more choice in the UK and prices are lower too. I fly back and forth every few days so thought it might be an idea.

Reactions: DomT

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do keep an eye on Comoficho but there is a lot more choice in the UK and prices are lower too. I fly back and forth every few days so thought it might be an idea.
British Airways have a 23kg limit on hand luggage. If you want to pack your turntable well in a sturdy case then avoid Ryanair with their 8kg limit as their is a risk that your hand luggage gets put in the hold.

Transporting a turntable outside of its original packing box is always going to be a big risk as I am sure you are aware. I would personally send it in its original packaging and pay the importation tax into Spain. Things like DACs etc are not an issue to transport and I have taken a lot of stuff to and from the UK.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you are going to pack your t/t in a suitcase then my criteria would be something small, uncomplicated, robust (no wooden chassis), that you could partially dismantle and easily assemble again. Michell, Funk Firm, Kuzma, Rega, and with an arm that is easy to take off and put back on again.

Reactions: rednose66

rednose66

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2006
Cardiff, , United Ki
AKA
Jon
British Airways have a 23kg limit on hand luggage. If you want to pack your turntable well in a sturdy case then avoid Ryanair with their 8kg limit as their is a risk that your hand luggage gets put in the hold.

Transporting a turntable outside of its original packing box is always going to be a big risk as I am sure you are aware. I would personally send it in its original packaging and pay the importation tax into Spain. Things like DACs etc are not an issue to transport and I have taken a lot of stuff to and from the UK.
I fly easyJet weekly and have easyJet Plus so i can take a slightly bigger case onboard. They have only recently mentioned weight of hand luggage but I think its about 15kg but nobody has ever asked to check my suitcase weight. Thanks for the list of manufacturers. Ill be keeping an eye out for them as well as an Inspire Apollo.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I fly easyJet weekly and have easyJet Plus so i can take a slightly bigger case onboard. They have only recently mentioned weight of hand luggage but I think its about 15kg but nobody has ever asked to check my suitcase weight. Thanks for the list of manufacturers. Ill be keeping an eye out for them as well as an Inspire Apollo.
BA size limit is "56cm x 45cm x 25cm".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles