Has anyone moved to the Lightroom Cloud???

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
First off, I feel a bit slutty as this was posted on another forum ....... and I haven't been here for a while either.

This must make me as thick as shit, but I’m struggling with my iMac, external hard drives and Lightroom and have been for quite some time…to the extent that I’m kinda there where I’m giving up and considering going over to using my iPad Pro as my main device and chucking all my photos in the Adobe Cloud (1TB Photography Plan)

There are a few features missing from the mobile LIghtroom that I like on the Classic version, but by and large I can live with that bit: I’m happy to trade the hours of hopelessly pissfarting around with the Mac for the convenience, portability and - here it is - dummyproof (?) setup on Lightroom cloud

Has anyone else gone the same way, or a similar way, and has any experience, tips, tricks, or just good ol’ fashioned mockery ??

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
First off, I feel a bit slutty as this was posted on another forum ....... and I haven't been here for a while either.

This must make me as thick as shit, but I’m struggling with my iMac, external hard drives and Lightroom and have been for quite some time…to the extent that I’m kinda there where I’m giving up and considering going over to using my iPad Pro as my main device and chucking all my photos in the Adobe Cloud (1TB Photography Plan)

There are a few features missing from the mobile LIghtroom that I like on the Classic version, but by and large I can live with that bit: I’m happy to trade the hours of hopelessly pissfarting around with the Mac for the convenience, portability and - here it is - dummyproof (?) setup on Lightroom cloud

Has anyone else gone the same way, or a similar way, and has any experience, tips, tricks, or just good ol’ fashioned mockery ??

The desktop version is far superior in terms of providing a comprehensive library system, it’s editing and relationship with Photoshop and a host of plugins like DXO, NIK and the like. You can of course use the cloud based service and tablet version in addition to the desktop classic as it’s part of the subscription package though additional storage is costly.

What sort of issues are you having with Lightroom Classic in terms of setup and drives ? I find it easy to import images into the library system so I’m a bit perplexed as to why it’s an issue to drive you away to a significantly different way of working.

I run a Mac with a 4tb external which holds my images and anything else photography related, backed up to another drive using Time Machine. I also have a backup of TM made but the Lightroom library backs up every time you exit the program. It’s pretty seamless and requires little intervention once set up.

I do use the iPad version of Lightroom for basic tinkering but frankly I’m not a fan of using a tablet for processing my images - I prefer the 32” monitor I have.

I don’t know whether the cloud based software will replicate your current folder structure and how easy the transition would be. It’s horse for courses, I know some professionals use the cloud based system. There are no rights or wrongs, it’s what suits you.

Perhaps you should simply do the cloud based trial and see how you get on before you sign up on the year contract.

Lastly if you have specific LR Classic issues just post queries on here. There are a few people on here apart from me use Classic and there’s a wealth of good self-help on the web including Adobe’s excellent range of videos.

For reference I’ve gone from a 27” Intel Mac to one of the new Mac Studio’s with a Huawei monitor recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles