HD Music

selby

Wammer
New Wammer
Jun 3, 2013
Berkshire
AKA
James
I've just got hold of my first DAC (M2Tech HiFace - Full Review to follow shortly once I've had a chance to listen properly) and after it simply astounding me, even with offline Spotify files, I'm keen to find out if HD music is worth the investment.

So my questions are as follows:

Are HD Tracks worth it or just a marketing thing?

Where to buy the best quality possible?

What player to use on a Mac? Audirvana / Amarra?

If HD is just marketing tosh, then what's the next best thing? SACD? CD Ripped to a lossless format?

Any feedback from your trial and errors would be great.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
HD can sound great, or just average. If the master is up to scratch and hasn't been effed about with, 're-mastered' or over compressed in order to make it sound 'better', then 24/96 sounds more palpable to me. Bu those are big ifs, and most HD music I have doesn't sound much better TBH. Also, there is the usual problem of rafts of indifferent artists recording in hi-rez, why can't the great artists do this more? Don't expect better dynamics or oomph though, that ain't gonna happen!

Eg:

I have bought Bob Marley HD tracks and they sound zero better than the CD - avoid the expense.

Linn's Kings consort performances of Couperin are just superb

Kuniko's interpretations of Steve Reich's music are excellent as well.

Benjamin Grosvenor's Chopin, Liszt and Ravel is underwhelming SQ wise

I could go on, you get the drift. Not just marketing, not necessarily worth it, tread slowly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles