HDCD on Arcam DV88

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dpes anyone know if you can toggle between hdcd and normal cd layers on discs with this player?

i've been through the manual and is doesn't mention anything about HDCD other than that the player plays them:?. It seems to just automatically choose the HDCD layer.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCD

quite a funny description, because it says you need a relatively high quality sound system to really notice it, then says not many cdps can play it but it's on Windows Media Player:D.

well, whatever HDCD issupposed to do, i can categorically say that the dv88 isn't evenclose to the Rega Apollo when it comes to involving you in the music. think it's the first timei've played Joni Mitchell's Blue and found myself drifting off and not listening to her singing:shock:. Mids and treble on the Apollo are pretty special, but slightly fuller lower mids and bass on the arcam - thatis the only criticism I have of the Apollo.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Anthony wrote:

it, then says not many cdps can play it but it's on Windows Media Player:D.
Bill bought it (HDCD) and put it on Windows for a strange legal reason :cool:hdcd disks just have the one layer

I do not think anyone still makes them. Virgin did loads Mike Oldfield stuff for example

only company I can think still putting hdcd on machines is Naim
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Kiang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2005
Leeds, , United King
Linn does a few jazz titles as well , their players tell you they have recogonised the disc as hdcd by a small green LED that comes on .

their demo disc (HDCD) gives you an indication of the quality with HDCD (better - not hugely but yes). The music is not that good though.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
also closed my eyes and dimmed the display and then switched it off. pressed the button numerous times so i couldn't tell whether it was off, dimmed or on full. couldn't make out any difference.

oh what a voyage of discovery today has been:p

Sastusbulbas

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2006
Edinburgh, , United
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anthony wrote:

also closed my eyes and dimmed the display and then switched it off. pressed the button numerous times so i couldn't tell whether it was off, dimmed or on full. couldn't make out any difference.oh what a voyage of discovery today has been:p
Hi Anthony,

I think this can be one of those most anoying things, My technics SL-PA10 was like this, but a BAT pre amp I used had noticable improvements with the display off.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Sastusbulbas wrote:

Anthony wrote:
also closed my eyes and dimmed the display and then switched it off. pressed the button numerous times so i couldn't tell whether it was off, dimmed or on full. couldn't make out any difference.oh what a voyage of discovery today has been:p
Hi Anthony,

I think this can be one of those most anoying things, My technics SL-PA10 was like this, but a BAT pre amp I used had noticable improvements with the display off.
A few companies that say switching off is better come to mind

Exposure Naim Denon I think are three

nsherin

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 26, 2005
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know two of the Bee Gees albums have been recorded in HDCD - Still Waters and This is Where I Came In both have the HDCD logo on them.

I didn't realise HDCD had been around since at least 1997 (yep, sadly a Bee Gees fan here), as I remember buying Still Waters the day it was released. I've found all of the HDCDs to sound excellent to my ears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles