Headphone amp recommendations?

GaryC

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 31, 2005
, ,
I've just acquireda pair ofBeyer HD880's and was wondering if they would benefit from a dedicated headphone amp? I'm currently using themvia the headphone output on my Bryston BP20 pre-amp.

Budget would be around the £200 mark.

Cheers,

Gary.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Gilmore is well worth a look if you're aftera solid state amp.Very well built, sounds clean and dynamic, bags of power. Manyforum membersheard it at the last Bake-off and liked it. Nothing comes close at $299.

Certainly in a different class to the MF X-Cans and Rega Ear.

I'd be happy to demonstrate it to you if you live nearby.

GaryC

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 31, 2005
, ,
I've had a look at the website, and it does look like good value for money. My only concern would be that it seems to be optimised for Grado phones, which sound quite different to the Beyers.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Theres a user over at HFC called PBirkett. He's very knowledgable about headphones and amps. I think he uses Beyers with an ANT AMBER amp. It may be worth sending him a PM and asking. The ANT is a british-built amp, supposedly very good (although i believe it costs closer to £290).

I see no reason why the Gilmore wouldn't drive the Beyers pretty nicely though.

Do you live anywhere near Milton Keynes?

PAG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 1, 2005
Wirral.
AKA
si
gonna order one of these at the end of the week, £112 + del.

read a few reviews and supposed to be ace.

100219-M.jpg

meixind%20mc%2066.jpg

review:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/accessori/ampli-cuffia-ming-da-mc66/mc66.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmeixing%2BMC66%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Papa Lazarou wrote:

Theres a user over at HFC called PBirkett. He's very knowledgable about headphones and amps. I think he uses Beyers with an ANT AMBER amp. It may be worth sending him a PM and asking.
he hangs around here too

White Pheasant

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
Norfolk fields
AKA
Michael
pamela andersons gusset wrote:

gonna order one of these at the end of the week, £112 + del.
Are you buying from Ornec?

If so, have you calculated thefinalfigure... once you've added on shipping,VAT, import duty etc.?

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I paid just £248 last year for my Gilmore Lite with the offboard PSU inc. shipping etc. You'd still get a Gilmore delivered for about £185 today.

gaul

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
LONDON, ,
Papa Lazarou wrote:

I paid just £248 last year for my Gilmore Lite with the offboard PSU inc. shipping etc. You'd still get a Gilmore delivered for about £185 today.
From?

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The new AE-1 looks very nice but it costs $50 more than the Gilmore Lite!

It's a portable amp, the Gilmore is obviously a home product.

Personally i'd save money and take the Gilmore.

GaryC

Wammer
New Wammer
Oct 31, 2005
, ,
Some interesting suggestions here.

One thing I've noticed is that I need to have my pre-amp set to about 3/4 of max to get a decent volume (not ear shattering)out of my 'phones (nominal impedence 250 Ohms). Is this normal? Do dedicated head amps have a higher output?

Gilmore looks favourite at the moment, anymore suggestions?

Papa - I live between High Wycombe and Beaconsfield. Not too far, but lack of freetime means I doubt I'll be able to get to MK. Thanks for the offer though.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gary, FWIW i can't toleratethe volume any more than about a third of the way on the Gilmore. Volume won't be an issue on pretty much any headphone amp.

Geordie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
A friend of mine runs the ANT Audio Amber along with Beyer DT880's and he absolutely loves it - he's had that combo for quite some time now - and he is almost worse than me for swapping headphone gear.

Only thing is I dont know if you can still buy them - the website is still up, but i think the last time someone asked he was taking a break.

I also have an ANT Amber and it takes some beating for the money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OpenSea_0