Hello (Chord) Dave, You're My Wife Now!

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have a look at the DAC/streamer I use, which I preferred to a Dave; the Bricasti M3MDx+N. If you're close enough to tne Lincolnshire coast, you'd be welcome to take a listen in my system at some stage. There is also a version which is a DAc/pre, without the network card. No mucking about with power supplies, either!
Thank you @simon g. I will certainly take a look at those.

The Lincolnshire coast isn't a million miles away, so I may just take you up on that offer at some point 👌

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for your hospitality as ever Ian. It was great to hear DAVE in the system. It has been said before about DAVE, but I was even more amazed at how incredibly analogue everything sounded. The synergy with the valve amplification and the Falcons was really end game stuff.

I thought it was especially nice of Sarah Vaughan to pop over and sing for us in your living room, not even letting her death 30 years ago put her off. Seriously though, talk about 'in your room' realism. Stunning.

It may be time for a Falcon purchase for me...
Ian’s system is relatively modest compared to some but it really makes great music. For many it would be an end game system as I have said before.

Kubs

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
Sutton, Surrey
AKA
Kub Johal
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did the DAC bake off ever happen? Apologies I may have missed it if a new thread was started ....

karlsushi

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Melton Mowbray, East Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did the DAC bake off ever happen? Apologies I may have missed it if a new thread was started ....
No, not in the end. It was largely scuppered by the fact that Fourlegs is no longer on the Wam (less said the better there I would say!).

I have however been talking to @Psilonaught about taking my Dave down to him at some point though, to try against his Soekris-based Acuhorn DAC, but I believe that is now in for repair. He has however since got hold of a new contender in the form of an Audio-GD R7HE, so that would still be an interesting comparison.

Plus there was the Meitner.

And the plan was ideally to bring in a dCs into the mix.

PS Audio's recent release of a mkii DirectStream would surely be another for the list.

And I've been reading great things about the Rockna WaveDream and also the Sonnet Pasithea.

So many DACs, so little time...

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm happy to host a DAC bake off for high-end DACs. Chord Dave definitely on my shopping list, as is a lightly used Lampizator Pacific, but I doubt anyone here has one of those.

My R7HE and possibly Acuhorn will be available. AES, RCA and BNC spdif available from my Aqua LinQ (don't ask me why they didn't implement USB, it must be an Italian thing).

Reactions: karlsushi

Kubs

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
Sutton, Surrey
AKA
Kub Johal
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm happy to host a DAC bake off for high-end DACs. Chord Dave definitely on my shopping list, as is a lightly used Lampizator Pacific, but I doubt anyone here has one of those.

My R7HE and possibly Acuhorn will be available. AES, RCA and BNC spdif available from my Aqua LinQ (don't ask me why they didn't implement USB, it must be an Italian thing).
Looks like I've missed lots. I liked fourlegs (not that I knew him personally) - always had something interesting to say.

Hope there wasn't a falling out .... After all, it's only hi fi .....

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well that seemed a very slanted review anyone would think he had family connections to another DAC company which of course could not be true .

Reactions: JustinTime

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Six and half big ones used, it would have to put the musicians in the room with me. I have listened to the DAVE a few times and enjoyed it though (unlike other Chord DACs), would like to spend some time with it to see if there really is any magic, but even at the used prices, it wont be happening. And AMIR said theres no magic in it, I'd want everyone who listens to it to like it for 6 Gs :)

Capture.JPG

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Chord room with the Dave was the worst sounding I visited at the Bristol show and I am a very contented Qutest/Mscaler owner.

Tristan

Lurker Extraordinaire
Wammer
Mar 17, 2014
Leeds
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A had a very similar moment of clarity recently and ditched a Naim preamp (and the necessary power supplies) and replaced them with a Hugo TT. A very worthwhile venture. :)

Reactions: eddie-baby

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While I would dearly love to be able to get one in my system and give it a good listen too because of the comments by owners I have to say that the Chord room at last years Northern HiFi show was less than stellar for sound quality .

Reactions: Andrei

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll try and get a demo loaner from a local dealer at some point for a longer term listen. Only a fool would discount what is easily the most positively discussed DAC amongst real forum users. The Dave I need to hear. Whether it beats the AGD R7HE remains to be seen however.

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Chord room with the Dave was the worst sounding I visited at the Bristol show and I am a very contented Qutest/Mscaler owner.
I was put off Chord by their salesman at the Bristol Show before lockdown, fortunately I forgot about him and like you am now a contented owner. Perhaps they are so successful they are trying not to build up too large a backlog of orders.

Reactions: ziggy

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was put off Chord by their salesman at the Bristol Show before lockdown, fortunately I forgot about him and like you am now a contented owner. Perhaps they are so successful they are trying not to build up too large a backlog of orders.
Could well be something to this. The terrible choice of music contributed to it being the worst sounding room. There was no salesman, but I did not stay for long.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To revitalise this one, a DAVE vs Qutest is on the cards ! Obviously the latter will be 12% as good as the former as it's that proportion of RRP ;)

• Haha
Reactions: DomT and karlsushi

Hummer

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 24, 2013
Birmingham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To revitalise this one, a DAVE vs Qutest is on the cards ! Obviously the latter will be 12% as good as the former as it's that proportion of RRP ;)
I had the Qutest for some time in my system but it certainly wasn't DAVE which I have heard to a great extent. Many cheaper DACs I feel have caught up with the Qutest so I would definitely consider listening to one in your system before buying.

Reactions: JamieMcC

astrostar59

Lets Rock
Wammer
Jun 29, 2015
Spain
AKA
Julian Hoyes
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On this I think we made a mistake when we did the Terminator vs Dave bake off because the Terminator needs a preamp and so to level the playing field we used the same preamp with the Dave as well. The only preamp we had available was not really in the same league as the Terminator or the Dave. Hence why I propose that at the next bake off we use those Dacs which can be used direct to power amps as they are designed to be used, ie direct, and only use a preamp when the Dac has a fixed output volume. So I am suggesting that those dac owners who use a preamp should each bring their own preamp. The only caveat to that might be if we can get hold of say a MFA Baby Ref V2!! then we could use that for all the fixed output dacs without fear that it might degrade their sound quality (or colour it!).
I wanted to ask your findings on running DAVE direct to power amp. I have a Moon preamp and Passlabs XA60.8 power amps. I have not try direct yet, and curious what you found.

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wanted to ask your findings on running DAVE direct to power amp. I have a Moon preamp and Passlabs XA60.8 power amps. I have not try direct yet, and curious what you found.
I think you will find that person is no longer a member of the Wam so will not be able to answer this question .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles