Help in Locating Music

Jul 14, 2006
Redcar
AKA
Andy
Hi All

A little help need here, I am trying to find music Preferably on LP of the following, I have tried to locate it but not much success. I may (probably have the name/title incorrect)

It appears on a Rick Wakeman DVD (opening Tack) and you could hear strains of it in one of the World Cup trailers over the last couple of weeks

Pacobel - Canon in D

I have a bit of classical but not much, any good suggestions, I seen at the moment to like Piano with a large orchestra.??

Andy

M

murray johnson

Hi Andy,

Try these.

Ravel.jpg

the best version of the Ravel, I've heard

Liszt.jpg

The Piano Sonata at the end is also fantastic

Schumann.jpg

Michelangeli again! The man was a genius

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
For an alternative try the chamber version by London Baroque, recently re-issued at bargain price on Harmonia Mundi (rest of the disc is vv good too).

Or, ever-so slightly off the wall: Discreet Music by Eno, half of which is a, errr, deconstruction/re-interpretation of Pachelbel's Canon in D, aided & abetted by Gavin Bryars.

Boxer

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While we're here.... what is this music? Its some kind of Baroque funeral march, possibly Purcell or Handel, gets used a lot on TV, was used a couple of years ago in a Levi's Jeans advert that had a man and a woman running through walls.... was also use in a bit of Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon.

Any ideas (and a recording recommendation to please)?

epca

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Barking
AKA
Ed
If it's the Sarabande from one of Handel's keyboard suites that you are talking about, (from the Barry Lyndon sountrack) then it depends on whether you would like a recording on the piano or harpsichord. Richter/Gavrilov on a pair of EMI Fortes is easily available. A harpsichord version doesn't come to mind at the moment.

It would appear that the theme is pretty similar to a famous tune called La Folia. If this is what you are after, there are a plethora of arrangements...

http://members.chello.nl/folia/index.html

Could try Hyperion CDA67035 for the baroque versions if that is what you are after. Look for it on the Hyperion website, there is real audio sample online.

Hope this helps

Ed

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the help folks.
smile.png

I knew I had it somewhere.... its in the selection from La Folia I have on a Linn Disc of Rebel and Marais Suites played the Palladian Ensemble.

Searching around I've found MP3s of all kinds of variations on the tune, most of them 'with a beat'. Hmmm.... no gilding of lillies required I think. However, the string arrangement used in the Levi's advert was very effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hczxynbvtr