Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2009
nottingham, ,
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My SBT which is hardwired to my network(ethernet 100MPS) yesterday started "buffering" during tracks - plays 2 seconds buffers 10 seconds for example. I haven't changed any settings recently. Checked the network - carried out a test on the SBT everything fine.

Has anyone got any ideas what has happened and how i fix it.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It's a bottleneck somewhere on the server side. Mine did this until I moved the music from a USB 2 HDD to a USB 3 one. Can also be network issues - unlikely to be anything to do with the squeezy. If all else fails do a clean re-install of Windows on the server - this generally fixes performance issues which are due to creeping bloat.

vinylnvalves

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2009
nottingham, ,
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These were my first throughts - however i have just been playing music via the Logitec Boom box in the kitchen , wirelessly without any issue at all. Either its the ethernet that gone wrong - or something else on the logitec side. My wife controller this usually via IPeng. In the past she has changed what i have been listening to by mistake, just wondering if she has changed any of the setting on the SBT by mistake ( everthingdid looked okay though when i had a cursory look though)

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Odd! Well if you have two devices on the same network using the same server software to stream the same files ... maybe try a system reset on the squeezy?

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Stop Squeezebox Server service and run the Clear Cache utility. Make sure Delete Preferences is unchecked.

This usually sorts out random buffering issues. Occasionally LMS gets a memory leak as well which can cause rebuffering and sluggish usage, so restarting the service after clearing the cache will also sort that.

vinylnvalves

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2009
nottingham, ,
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mark

The server service and the clear cache - are these on the SBT or my vortexbox? As i cannot see them on either, on the obvious places - i haven't drilled down all the menus mind you.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Hi Steve, server side. A clear and rescan everything will have the same effect. Open up the server options via the web browser it's in there.

vinylnvalves

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2009
nottingham, ,
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It all became clearer when i worked out that squeezer box server is now logitec media server. I rescanned everything and reset the SBT - still misbehaving though. Will tommorrow connect up a duet i have in the cupboard ( controller on charge over night) and we will see if when that plugged into the ethernet port whether its the device or the network.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Try one more thing. Login to Vortexbox and type the following:

Code:
service squeezeboxserver stop
rm -rf /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache
service squeezeboxserver start
This will kick off another rescan, so you'll need to wait for that to complete.

vinylnvalves

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2009
nottingham, ,
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure if i have fixed it ...

The duet works fine. I noticed that the logitec media server on the vortexbox was turned off, had to return that on with the radio button on the page and then everything seemed fine. Will try the SBT later, the Duet which is modified sounds maybe better than the SBT, so may keep it in for a bit?

It is a good job that i did not need to carry out Mark'c command line reset, as the vortexbox would not let me in, as the password i had setp when i installed it did not work. ( i stuck a label on the side of the server with the username and password when i started - so god knows whats happened) Suppose if i need to get in again i will have to level the server and start from scratch again.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I had a similar problem until I changed the channel that my netgear router operated on. Instructions are freely available on google and it cleared my issue up completely where I was buffering every twenty seconds or so of play before.

vinylnvalves

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2009
nottingham, ,
AKA
steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It seems to be all fixed now. Not sure what of the many things i did fixed it, but should it happen again i will start with the reboot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles