Help - Valve Amp Problem

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
I was listening via my Puresound A10 tonight as usual when suddenly I heard a rustling noise coming from the left speaker. I know this can sometimes happen with valve amps so I waited for it to subside, but it didn't. It carried on for a few more seconds and then the audio in the left channel started cutting in / out intermittently. Not knowing what the problem was, I went and turned the amplifier off to prevent any possible damage to the speakers.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be going on here? My guess is the left channel valves could be on their way out? If so, can anyone advise on good replacement EL84's and 6N3's?

I would be grateful for any advice :)

Lefty

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Swap the power valves over and see if the problem moves to the other channel.

S

scruffybitch

first try wiggling the valves in the sockets, it might just clean up a bad connection.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its the sound cutting out bit that bothers me. Sounds frankly rather terminal for a valve. Maybe safer to stick a new tube in and see if the noise goes. Others can advise far better than me however. Soviet 6n14p-ev tubes are bombproof long lasting good sounding el84 subs, and they are cheap as well. Look no further unless wedded to NOS

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Tapatalk 2

JBCobra

Legend Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great suggestions here:^

Maybe clean all the tube pins and sockets with contact cleaner. Or if you don't have cleaner, gently buff the tube pins with an emory board or something like that.

AlanB

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2007
West Midlands
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My money is on a dodgy valve.

I recently had a new Gold Lion KT88 blow after about an hour's use so valve age isn't necessarily a 100% guide.

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Oh well - at least the decision has been taken out of my hands. I was taking the valves out so I could swap the left and right channels over, and the last EL84 cracked as I was trying to remove it :doh:

I'll just bite the bullett and get a complete set of fresh valves. Good thing I've got a back up amp - although it doesn't sound as good as the A10.

Lefty

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
I know! It has never happened before and I have removed a fair few valves. This one was in really tight, and as I was rocking it back and forth to loosen it, I heard the crack :(

Lefty

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Good suggestion, bur it was an EL84 from the right channel which cracked, and the sound was coming from the left channel.

Nevermind - at least I can get some posh valves now :)

Lefty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles