HELP! With a Beomaster 5000, no sound & smoke!

taff

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 20, 2013
South Wales & Lo
Afternoon chaps!

I've been given a Beomaster 5000, which powered up fine, all lights came on etc ok.

However, no sound came out of it! When you plug in a speaker there is a crackle from the speaker, then nothing.

After trying a few things and having it powered on for a bit, I noticed a small wisp of smoke coming out of it near the input tray.

So, I thought what the hell and opened it up.. after a bit more plugging in and dismantling I narrowed the smoke down to R38 and r39 burning away merrily. I've had a quick trawl and can only find that this is common ish, but the problem is possibly deeper than the resistors. They are on the pre-amp side as i under stand it!

Looking for any help you may be able to give! Layout diagrams, experience of this unit etc! Not sure what to do.. I have limited soldering expertise/ experience but am keen to learn and see this as an opportunity to do so. Am I mad or shall I just stick it on eBay? Is it worth fixing?

EDIT. At least I've found a copy of the manual with the resistor values. Tempted to replace them with wire to see if that works.. is this a bad idea?!

http://beophile.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=145

Cheers!

James.

killie99

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 12, 2011
Kilmarnock
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
you need one of these and one of these. They're a good alternative to the bits of wire you're planning to replace the resistors with but will get you the same result a lot quicker. :^

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can you post a photo of the area,or name some of the other parts nearby,since if you look at the circuit, the same resistor numbers are used on different boards. So if there is a nearby integrated circuit, eg ic? Would help a lot. Using a wire link is a bad idea , unless you want it destroyed.

Who Cares?

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2012
Afternoon chaps! I've been given a Beomaster 5000, which powered up fine, all lights came on etc ok.

However, no sound came out of it! When you plug in a speaker there is a crackle from the speaker, then nothing.

After trying a few things and having it powered on for a bit, I noticed a small wisp of smoke coming out of it near the input tray.

So, I thought what the hell and opened it up.. after a bit more plugging in and dismantling I narrowed the smoke down to R38 and r39 burning away merrily. I've had a quick trawl and can only find that this is common ish, but the problem is possibly deeper than the resistors. They are on the pre-amp side as i under stand it!

Looking for any help you may be able to give! Layout diagrams, experience of this unit etc! Not sure what to do.. I have limited soldering expertise/ experience but am keen to learn and see this as an opportunity to do so. Am I mad or shall I just stick it on eBay? Is it worth fixing?

EDIT. At least I've found a copy of the manual with the resistor values. Tempted to replace them with wire to see if that works.. is this a bad idea?!

http://beophile.com/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=145

Cheers!

James.
Erm, your link requires a subscription.

Anyways, I would assume the manual will provide a testing process, needing test equipment to confirm values at certain points.

Now, if you are totally confident in your knowledge of ss circuitry you could attempt a repair without the requisite test equipment.

That said, if this item is of little worth to you and you want to learn, initially just replace those resistors. Then, if that doesn't get it working you'll have to come to a deeper understanding of how this stuff works.

It's a good thing to know more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online