Help with Marantz SA-10 connection to MacBook Pro M1x

David Wilson

New Wammer
May 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi guys. This is my first post on the forum.
I recently bought a Marantz SA-10 & MacBook Pro M1X. I'm new to streaming, having just dipped my toe in the water. Currently I'm able to stream QOBUZ/ROON from my MacBook via Airplay or Chromecast to my SONY KD-43XH8505 TV then my Marantz PM-10 Amp. The sound quality is excellent but am I missing out by not taking a direct feed from my MacBook to the SA-10 with its internal DAC? I've attempted to connect both devices using the appropriate cables & USB connectors but the process frustratingly stalls when I attempt to set the MacBook audioMidi set up (see attached screen grab) I've set everything as directed on the Marantz handbook but I cannot select "output". Do I really need this or is my Airplay connection as good as it gets? I'm kinda at a loss as to how best to proceed. Do I really need to spend more to succeed in this venture or is it the law of diminishing returns? I appreciate any advice or expertise you might share
Thanks
David

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 10.54.45.png
    Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 10.54.45.png
    518.6 KB · Views: 9

David Wilson

New Wammer
May 21, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@David Wilson

With the SA-10S1 highlighted, have you clicked on the dropdown (bottom left hand corner) and selected "use this device for sound output" ?

ronnie
Hi Ronnie, thanks for the reply. Short answer YES. I've followed all the appropriate steps but still nothing when I click on OUTPUT and the SA10 display is USB/DAC setting reads USB:Unlock

Man in a van

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2012
Staffordshire
AKA
Ronnie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It might not work with the new Apple chip, the older macs were all Intel (I think :cautious:, unless some smart arse remembers correctly :oops:;):rolleyes:)

ronnie

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It might not work with the new Apple chip, the older macs were all Intel (I think :cautious:, unless some smart arse remembers correctly :oops:;):rolleyes:)

ronnie
I can’t see that making any difference as the USB interface is the same standard whatever chip the Mac has.

Why is there an exclamation mark alert against the MacBook Pro speakers output option? Does that mean there is a common problem for all types of outputs? Is something hogging the USB output driver and preventing access to it - maybe Parallels? Maybe shut Parallels down and try with 16 bit 44.1 kHz.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can’t see that making any difference as the USB interface is the same standard whatever chip the Mac has.

Why is there an exclamation mark alert against the MacBook Pro speakers output option? Does that mean there is a common problem for all types of outputs? Is something hogging the USB output driver and preventing access to it - maybe Parallels? Maybe shut Parallels down and try with 16 bit 44.1 kHz.

I think it that the speech bubble with exclamation mark means "Play Alerts And Sound Effects Through This Device" (it looks different in older OS versions):

ee580ffd32bd91449c4be70e5d280a17.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles