Help with removing drivers

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
I have been listening to my new ( to me ) Audionote AN- e kit speakers I bought a while back, I'm really enjoying them with the Musicarch 300 b amp it's so beautifully musical, I can (and do ) listen for much much longer than I ever have before.

anyway these have Baltic birch ply cabs but just painted black, I want to keep so am going to re veneer them with nice American black walnut, the drivers will have been sealed in with blu tac, this is what the instructions tell you to do on the kit pages. I have removed the screws but the driver won't budge with gentle persuasion, doesn't matter if I mark the cabs as I can fill before veneering. Don't want to damage the driver or tweeter surrounds, any ideas tricks advice please?

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Is it possibly to remove the Speaker terminals and get in from the back? Then push it out?

Alternatively with the screws out, and driver face down onto a duvet or pillow, give them a good whack from behind.

Sometimes I find you can gentley prise the driver away by using a small flat head screwdriver and levering it between the frame mounting holes and the baffle/hole behind, although be careful.

• Upvote
Reactions: RobHolt

Funkpig

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 19, 2013
Oakham
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If you can get a screwdriver behind the fixing flange, use a thin piece of metal or a steel rule to lever against. This will protect the face of the speaker and give you something firm to lever against.

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
Is it possibly to remove the Speaker terminals and get in from the back? Then push it out?Alternatively with the screws out, and driver face down onto a duvet or pillow, give them a good whack from behind.

Sometimes I find you can gentley prise the driver away by using a small flat head screwdriver and levering it between the frame mounting holes and the baffle/hole behind, although be careful.
Can't get grim behind, and a good slap would need to be a sledge hammer these are well in, I got the tweeter out I did mark the wood a little but I can fix that before veneer it's very small. That blu tac does grip though!

- - - Updated - - -

If you can get a screwdriver behind the fixing flange, use a thin piece of metal or a steel rule to lever against. This will protect the face of the speaker and give you something firm to lever against.
i can get a very small one in I will give it a go with a steel rule, good idea thanks.

JezR

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2009
Brighton, UK
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Corkscrew in where the screws/bolts come out. Gently pull with the tip just under the edge, but don't screw it in.

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Corkscrew in where the screws/bolts come out. Gently pull with the tip just under the edge, but don't screw it in.
I do this but with one of the screws that holds it in as it is the right size for the hole. Failing that, an appropriate size philips head screwdriver will give more leverage.

Be careful though, dont go mad on just one screw hole - apply gentle pressure to each one working in a clockwise direction - repeat until loose.

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
Really well stuck in! Tweeter is out ok with a little fucking and bastarding but out.

the main driver won't budge so I'll try the corkscrew but I'm not confident, never thought blu tac would be so secure

nat8808

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 8, 2007
London
AKA
Nat
Yeah, use the bolt holes as the place for leverage. Using the bolts, loose but inserted as far as they will without engaging with the thread, and then applying pressure on it's side inwards towards the middle of the driver will often slowly lift up that side of the driver. It is just a case of sustained pulling power and patience. Would mild heat (near a radiator?) soften the blutac and help?

Perhaps even just leaving them upside down, raised off the floor a bit for a few days (with something soft for the driver to fall on) and gravity and elves will have a go at it for you.

rocky raccoon

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Cambridge
AKA
Iestos de la Mancha
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A development of Nat's idea - It's just a thought but you might tap a couple of the holes in the basket with a tap (making a thread) slightly larger than the diameter of the existing hole and then screw in a couple of appropriate threaded screws (not so far that they go into the wood behind the basket). That would give you more purchase. Give the holes a gentle vacuum once tapped (you're working close to magnets).

Then you could pull the basket out. Two screws would reduce the risk of distorting the basket when you pull. Ideally the tap would not be more than 0.5 mm larger than the existing holes in the basket. With the original screws back in place, you'd never know.

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
What power tools do you have available? I'm sure we can come up with something creative :^

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
Is it possibly to remove the Speaker terminals and get in from the back? Then push it out?Alternatively with the screws out, and driver face down onto a duvet or pillow, give them a good whack from behind.

Good advice. In through the back and push. Can you get a hand in the tweeter hole and push from there?

When you put them back, don't use blutak, get some proper foam gaskets.

If the cabinets are to be re-veneered then I wouldn't worry about a few wood chips which can be filled epoxy and sanded.

Who Cares?

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2012
Because you're going to be veneering and can fill any faults before doing so, how about using a sharp wood chisel to make, say, four "slots" every 90% around the edge of the frame down to the point where you can then insert a lever under the frame and then lever gentlly working around at 180% points.

The slots can then be filled using epoxy wood and sanded down to level.

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The corkscrew will do it. If you don't engage it enough it will come out again, if you do, the driver will come away. Always worked with Snells which had similar mastic sealant.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Humpty was pushed

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Run a metal wire around the perimeter, and work it under the edge, then "tourniquet" it so the wire cuts the seal. (I have not tried this)

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
If you have a chainsaw, put it on the "delicate" setting, and carefully cut around the edges of the driver.

• Upvote
Reactions: take5

JezR

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2009
Brighton, UK
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good advice. In through the back and push. Can you get a hand in the tweeter hole and push from there?When you put them back, don't use blutak, get some proper foam gaskets.

If the cabinets are to be re-veneered then I wouldn't worry about a few wood chips which can be filled epoxy and sanded.
Can't be done as the crossover/speaker terminal board is screwed in from the inside of the cabinet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles